Rural Metro Milpitas

Epi52

Forum Probie
I'm curious what's the deal with this. Expansion of Santa Clara County EMS?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Nah, there are two Rural/Metros in Santa Clara County (SCC), 911 and interfacility transport (IFT). SCC EMS posted a memo on their website about this here.

I heard that Rural/Metro of Nothern California (their IFT division in SCC) now has some Kaiser contracts in the area (originally AMR had it). I heard about it at work and here, but I didn't see it on the news. If this is true though, it makes sense that they are hiring 50 EMTs then.

My partner and some of my co-workers claimed they applied there awhile back, got offered interviews, but when they found out it was IFT, they didn't bother continuing on. I think this was before they got the Kaiser contracts too.

I applied there hoping I could get a second job, or something that offers more pay and hours (ProTransport-1 limits us to only 40 hours/week). Their application only allowed me to send 1 file for my certs, 1 file for my resume, some information (mostly for creating an account), and that's about it. I haven't heard back.

Other than that, I haven't heard much else about it.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
Nah, there are two Rural/Metros in Santa Clara County (SCC), 911 and interfacility transport (IFT). SCC EMS posted a memo on their website about this here.

I heard that Rural/Metro of Nothern California (their IFT division in SCC) now has some Kaiser contracts in the area (originally AMR had it). I heard about it at work and here, but I didn't see it on the news. If this is true though, it makes sense that they are hiring 50 EMTs then.

My partner and some of my co-workers claimed they applied there awhile back, got offered interviews, but when they found out it was IFT, they didn't bother continuing on. I think this was before they got the Kaiser contracts too.

I applied there hoping I could get a second job, or something that offers more pay and hours (ProTransport-1 limits us to only 40 hours/week). Their application only allowed me to send 1 file for my certs, 1 file for my resume, some information (mostly for creating an account), and that's about it. I haven't heard back.

Other than that, I haven't heard much else about it.

But 50 medics as well? Strange. I put in my app, we'll see what happens

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
ALS IFT? To be honest, I didn't see that for some reason. I thought the company was already over saturated with Paramedics (was told that some ambulances had 2 paramedics and 1 emt). Oh well, it'll be cool to see.

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver
ALS IFT? To be honest, I didn't see that for some reason. I thought the company was already over saturated with Paramedics (was told that some ambulances had 2 paramedics and 1 emt). Oh well, it'll be cool to see.

Well, Kaiser makes a lot of IFT's ALS, so maybe that's it, but I'm hopeful it's for SCC EMS

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Well, I hear rumor that they "laid off" a bunch of EMTs and Paramedics for their 911 division that's completely separate from this one. I heard it from a friend whose friend was one of them, lol.

For those of you interested, they are having a 3 day job fair at 550 Sycamore Dr., Milpitas, CA. 95 open positions per their site. I'm gonna still gonna check it out, see if it could be a second job (if no conflict of interest) or if they can offer me better (I'm too bold, lol).

JimmyUP

Forum Probie
i went to the job fair tonight as it was winding down. i was the last to interview. hopefully hear something back soon. trying to get into my first EMT job so we will see what happens

JStorm

Forum Ride Along
Finally, I found a thread where someone has been to their job fair. I'm heading down there tomorrow. Fresh out of school here, passed registry last month... so no experience in the field. AND I've been in construction for 20 years where there never were "interviews". So this'll be my first, which will probably be a fiasco... lol Can you tell me what to expect? I assume suit or shirt/tie and I need to whip up a resume'. Are they doing written testing and skills testing as well? How long is the interview? Any specific questions to prep for? Thanks for the help!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
JStorm, send your resume online through their website click here.

I just came back. I don't feel like I did a good job of selling myself there. :(
-Poor hand writing on my application (on one part, it asked for position, and I misspelled emergency medical technician, tried writing over the part I messed up, and ended up crossing it out, and writing EMT next to it). I didn't ask for another one because the guy I sat next to did, and they said no to him so I just edited like I would on a PCR, single line with initial, haha!
-Got at least one question wrong on the multiple choice.
-In the interview, one of the scenarios I could've kept on going, but I stopped, and there was an awkward silence, and as I was gonna continue thinking (okay, he definitely wants details), he asked said "Okay..." and asked the next question.
-Quickly and sloppily answered the questions in the interview.

Go to 550 Sycamore St., Milpitas, CA. If you go by GPS, it might take you all the way up to Montague Expressway on 880 (if you're heading north bound on 880, this is a good way, but I was heading south bound, which there is a faster/shorter way). If I get a job there/go there again, I would have taken the Tazman exit, left on McCarthy, and left on Sycamore.

You walk in, there is a receptionist to the left. She'll ask you to sign in, and ask you some questions: Did you apply online? Are you a certified CA EMT? Do you have ICS 100, ICS 200, NIMS 700, IS 704, AWR 160, First Responder Operational, an ambulance driver license and California driver license. If you didn't apply online (the link I gave you only allows you to upload your resume, if you did it earlier, you may have had the chance to fill out the application online, or you could have possibly downloaded it and faxed it - although I don't know if it'd go to the Milpitas location and if they'd be aware of it) then she'll give you a clipboard with the application. Fill it out, give it to her, she'll tell you to walk through the door and go to the right. It's a giant room, there is a table in the right corner that they want you to go to. The guy will ask you for your certifications and driver license so they can copy it. I already brought copies in, and he took that instead. Afterwards, he'll give you a multiple choice test. The questions were things we learned in EMT school, HIPPA, location of hospitals, and a Santa Clara County protocol question. I know I messed up on one of hospital locations cause my company doesn't go there so I couldn't think were it was at, haha. Very easy test other than me messing up on the location of one hospital. After you finish the test, if an interviewer is free, they'll interview. They asked a couple of customer service and ethics questions, and a couple of EMT scenarios and questions.

I went with a white button up collar shirt, tie, fancy pants (khaki pants), belt, shirt tucked in, fancy shoes, black socks, etc. Of the people there, I was the only one dressed like that (I heard there were a million people yesterday, today there were only like 5 or 6 while I was there). Other people dressed in regular cloths, their EMT uniform in school, and one was in scrubs. The interviewers were semi-causal, EMT uniform/scrub-like cloths, and some of the guys were dressed up with colored shirt (blue and red).

I offered to give them my a physical copy of my resume (it was on resume paper too), DMV driving record, immunizations, ppd result, copy of my social security, copy of a second ID (passport), and they didn't want it.

All together, it took me around 50 minutes total.

Good luck dude. There are a lot of openings, but also a lot of people applying.

Last edited by a moderator:

JStorm

Forum Ride Along
Oh wow ICS 100 ICS 200 etc.. I don't have any of those... I hadn't even heard of them much less know what they were, I just now looked them up... 5 2-3hr courses?? No way I can get thru them in time. Are those required??

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
You can get through the ICS courses in less time than that. I think I averaged 30 minutes per course when I did them online.

JStorm

Forum Ride Along
No, not a half hour. No way. Not unless you're just blowing thru it and not bothering to read anything or watch the vids. I just started one to get a feel for the time frame, I did part 1 and 2 of ICS 100 and 45 min for those parts is a little fat but fairly close. I wont be able to knock these out in time. I wish I had known I needed these earlier, I wouldve gotten em taken care of.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
No, not a half hour. No way. Not unless you're just blowing thru it and not bothering to read anything or watch the vids. I just started one to get a feel for the time frame, I did part 1 and 2 of ICS 100 and 45 min for those parts is a little fat but fairly close. I wont be able to knock these out in time. I wish I had known I needed these earlier, I wouldve gotten em taken care of.

Correct...I didn't watch the vids. I skimmed the chapter summaries in the printed material I had.

JStorm

Forum Ride Along
Well I just went ahead and pounded out ICS 100.. but I can't stay up all night doing the other four. Guess I'll just head down there tommorrow and hope for the best. Curious what the questions they are asking are, roughly, so I can be sure to be ready for those at least.

Madball

Forum Probie
Just a heads up, a few of the people that were recently let go from the 911side were from my company. They were all let go just a few days before their probation was up, and rural did it the day they were switching unions so they would have no union protection. Sounds kinda shady to me. Also, I think people should know that they are strictly hiring for their IFT program, not 911. Some people think they can work the IFT for awhile and then transfer over (like AMR used to be) and its not the case. They are basically two different companies. And the IFT is non-union (like most other IFT companies). Maybe a good place for EMT's to start out, but after seeing what they did to those guys I wouldn't touch this place.