rural metro loses City of Salem, OR

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
R/M really isn't helping things with the basis for their complaint. Just sounds like whining and sour grapes.

AMR's on the other hand, potentially has some legs, though probably not enough to matter.

OP
OP
PotatoMedic

PotatoMedic

I found rurals protest but could not find amr's. Do you have a link to it or did you just go off of what the article said?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm just going off what was reported in the article; I don't have any current contacts down there.

I'd be curious to know how compliant R/M has been with the requirements and what Falck brought to the table; the transition away from SFD providing transport was relatively smooth, and the people I talked to down there seemed to be getting along (though that was years ago so who knows).

OP
OP
PotatoMedic

PotatoMedic

When did that get announced? Time to do some googling. And thanks for the update.

Emergency Metaphysics

Forum Lieutenant
Rural Metro also lost Sioux Falls, SD to Paramedics Plus, which takes over Jan. 15, 2015. Since they lost Sioux Falls, the "grapevine" says they're also pulling out of Omaha, NE. soon. Sioux Falls and Omaha were their last "midwest" operations. Rural Metro has held the 911 contract for my city (Sioux Falls) for at least a decade or more.

MrJones

Iconoclast
If the RM location I used to work for is typical of the rest of the company, I'm honestly surprised that the company has lasted as long as it has.

ORMedic

Forum Ride Along
As of the first of the year, Salem announced that the appeals were denied & Falck was still the choice. Will be interesting to see if anyone sues.
BTW, R/M asked the union to support their bid (and appeal), but the union said 'Uh, no'...

OP
OP
PotatoMedic

PotatoMedic

Yeah, and rurals appeal letter was really weak. Will be interesting to see if anyone sues. Anyone know if the currwnt employees will be offered the ability to transfer to a different r/m or even to falck?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It would appear the restructuring process and bankruptcy filing have not helped R/M all that much.

ORMedic

Forum Ride Along
Their appeal seemed to be based on favoritism.
To my knowledge nothing has been set up for the employees. It's hoped that most will transfer over to Falck.

OP
OP
PotatoMedic

PotatoMedic

Angel

Paramedic
interesting. anyone work there currently? I wonder how much (or different) they will be from the CA ops...

OP
OP
PotatoMedic

PotatoMedic

They take control of the city on July 1st so this is the initial hire to get people for the operation. Right now Rural/Metro still is the agency running calls. Not sure what pay will be.

Angel

Paramedic
I just hate the red polos. It looks really dumb, benefits and pay were all decent when I worked there in cali, but we looked like we sold cable or worked at mcdonalds.