Allie911

Forum Ride Along
Hello all this is my first post here and I have a question about Rural Metro in the Fulton co area. I had an interview at Rural Metro in Fulton co Ga and once I start the job i hope to transition on the job from male to female. I chickened out in the interview from mentioning this to the interviewer, but what is the company climate in terms of protecting minorities or subjugated groups (people of color, women and lgbt individuals) from harassment. I don't want to make anyone walk on egg shells, i just want to help people and be myself while doing so.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Honestly, I would not come out at work until I was ready. I know that the wrong pronouns being used and using your dead name would probably pick away at you (especially if your dead name is sown in your uniform or it is on your ID badge, ick!) , but I think that is the safest option until you feel safe to come out at work or find a place that would fit you better. However, this doesn't mean that you should delay transitioning. Transitioning (particularly hormone replacement therapy (HRT), hair removal via electrolysis or laser, and growing out your hair if it isn't long yet) is a very, very slow process. It's beyond slow. The changes are so painfully slow and subtle that you yourself and the people that see you frequently would probably have a very difficult time seeing changes even if they were looking for it. It is possible for people to hide their transition for months or years. With the exception of an orchiectomy (if you choose to have that done), most surgeries do not happen until later in transition (about 1-2 years) to give time for HRT to redistribute fat. I don't see any reason to delay transitioning if that is something you need to do.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
probably the same at RM as any other EMS agency.

that being said, get the job, and then worry about it. the transition isn't the quickest (as aprz said), and let people know you as Al (or whatever your first name is), not Al who is going to become Allie. I would imagine most people are going to either like you or not like you whether you are a man or a woman, and will keep liking you or not liking you regardless of if you want to become a woman.

OP
OP
A

Allie911

Forum Ride Along
Honestly, I would not come out at work until I was ready. I know that the wrong pronouns being used and using your dead name would probably pick away at you (especially if your dead name is sown in your uniform or it is on your ID badge, ick!) , but I think that is the safest option until you feel safe to come out at work or find a place that would fit you better. However, this doesn't mean that you should delay transitioning. Transitioning (particularly hormone replacement therapy (HRT), hair removal via electrolysis or laser, and growing out your hair if it isn't long yet) is a very, very slow process. It's beyond slow. The changes are so painfully slow and subtle that you yourself and the people that see you frequently would probably have a very difficult time seeing changes even if they were looking for it. It is possible for people to hide their transition for months or years. With the exception of an orchiectomy (if you choose to have that done), most surgeries do not happen until later in transition (about 1-2 years) to give time for HRT to redistribute fat. I don't see any reason to delay transitioning if that is something you need to do.
Yeah I don't plan on coming out until I get a feel for the company and coworkers. I've already started HRT (only two weeks in so still early) and growing my hair out which at my current job just the hair is enough for coworkers to pick at me beyond just messing around, so I have to wear a ball cap. I guess in my head the reason I want to come out at rural metro is that its in a more progressive, suburban environment and most people just mind their own business. I'm out and for the most part accepted by my family and friends. Its pretty depressing having to flip a personality switch so drastic between life and work.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I live and work in the San Francisco Bay Area which is widely known as being progressive and LGBT friendly. The community is definitely very accepting and friendly towards the LGB part of the community , but I think it is still hit or miss for transgenders. We did make the news awhile ago for the murder of Gwen Araujo in Newark, CA (part of the Bay Area). More recently, transgender students at Chabot College in Hayward, CA (part of the Bay Area too) got attacked for using gender neutral bathrooms!

Maybe you don't have to flip your personality at work. People will think everything else before they think you are trans. The uniform for men and women are the same. Whether male or female, you probably won't be allowed to wear jewelery for safety reason. You could probably get away with doing feminine things like plucking your eyebrows, style your hair, light makeup, and painting your nails (guys probably won't notice clear mascara, wetlining, and clear nail polish). If you find the right colors, you could probably even use foundation or a tinted moisturizer/sunscreen, blush, and lipstick, but girls usually do minimal to no makeup at work. It just gets messy. I would probably avoid eyeliner, eye shadow, and highlighting/contouring. Go for a natural look. People aren't going to see you wearing panties and a bra underneath (unless it is the ugly gray t shirt Rural/Metro was trying to push nation wide). EMTs use the bathroom wherever they want. When you are out in the field, nobody is going to care if you use the womens bathroom. You'll probably use the bathroom at Starbucks and gas stations a lot. You don't have to be a total boy at work. You'd be surprised with what you can get away with.

Your co-workers that you see everyday might incorrectly gender you, but maybe your patients and the public won't. Like I said, you and your co-workers will see each other frequently. The changes are so slow that you will probably have a hard time seeing the changes. You and your co-workers might see you as a boy even if you look like a total girl. People who never see you or are meeting you for the first time will see a girl though even if you are presenting as male. If your division is large enough, maybe only a few of them will think you are a boy, but the majority will see the girl you are.

Last edited:

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
probably the same at RM as any other EMS agency.
I don't think that's true at all. Different agencies have different cultures, even in the same region. One of my part time jobs has a great, tolerant atmosphere. Several years ago a gay employee was run out by other employees (since dealt with), yet it's the same area.

As said, get a feel for the agency itself.

Hmfic

Forum Ride Along
I worked for r/m in fulton co. It is going to hard on you no matter what. North Fulton residents ( Alpharetta , milton roswell and the like have a higher LGBT community and would probably be more open. South fulton is its own beast... are you going north or south?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I worked for r/m in fulton co. It is going to hard on you no matter what. North Fulton residents ( Alpharetta , milton roswell and the like have a higher LGBT community and would probably be more open. South fulton is its own beast... are you going north or south?
Ah yes, quite an important distinction to make. South Fulton is basically the inner city minus Atlanta, North is the affluent region.

DSDMedic

Forum Ride Along
One other thing to keep in mind is that the management at RM is being slowly integrated with AMR, since the merger. Shouldn't have a huge impact day to day hopefully, but it may if you run up against issues down the road and bump up against some manager or supervisor who got shifted over from the AMR side. I can't speak to how RM in Fulton would treat you on the transition end, I interviewed there for a PT basic job but didn't get it (made a stupid mistake on one of the scenario questions bc I was thinking as an A (I take my A registry on 10/1) but interviewing for Basic). However, I did a couple of my third rides at RM North Fulton and the staff interacted with came across as more likely to be accepting of LGBT* coworkers than some of those that you'd find at other services in there area, like DeKalb (AMR) or RM South Fulton, for example. That said, you're likely to still come across some folks who'll give you grief, so waiting until you get a good read on your coworkers is probably the smart choice.

Either way, good luck with both the new job and the transition! I imagine I'll probably run into you at a hospital or training sooner or later, I start with AMR next week.