RSI

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
just curious what you guys and gals that RSI use in the field. I carry mivacron, etomidate & pancuronium and ativan/morphine for additional sedation if needed. I have access to Rocuronium, but I don't carry that on my body, I gotta go into the drug cabinet on the rig, so it's easier to use the first 2 drugs listed.

PArescueEMT

Forum Bartender
when I worked on a CCT unit, we used Vec, and Versed. worked like a charm. Especially on the burn vics

OP
OP
M

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
I love versed. I use to use it at another place I worked and it worked like a charm. probably my most fav drug. Don't carry it here, got almost everything else but versed.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by medic03@Feb 1 2005, 01:14 AM
just curious what you guys and gals that RSI use in the field. I carry mivacron, etomidate & pancuronium and ativan/morphine for additional sedation if needed. I have access to Rocuronium, but I don't carry that on my body, I gotta go into the drug cabinet on the rig, so it's easier to use the first 2 drugs listed.
you carry your narcs and other pharm. on your person?

Jon

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Feb 1 2005, 09:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Feb 1 2005, 09:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-medic03@Feb 1 2005, 01:14 AM

Jon [/b][/quote]
My county keeps all drugs in a drug box locked in the rig, but I heard of some that have medics keep the drugs in pouches they carry. I don't see that happening, but I guess "to each their own".

OP
OP
M

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Feb 1 2005, 09:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Feb 1 2005, 09:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-medic03@Feb 1 2005, 01:14 AM

Jon [/b][/quote]
yep, all narcs go in my shirt pocket (the pack is the size of an altoid case) and I have an RSI kit in my BDU pants. THe narcs are signed out to us in the beginning of the shift and we sign them back in at the end. I would never put them in my truck or my tech bag because we are always jumping from one truck to another or switching off equipment from the 3 helicopters, so I prefer to keep my stuff on me. It's my *** on the line if I lose them, so I like to know they re always on me. The RSI kits are not accounted for, so those we toss around. as long as there is one with the airway bag, that's fine.

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Vecuronium & Versed & Ativan - love them!!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Some depts started having the medics carry the drugs on them cause their rigs were getting broken into while they were out attending to a patient or grabbing a bite to eat.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We don't carry regular drugs with us, but once we open the safe with the narcs, they're in a fanny pack that we have to wear until we do our inventory update and re-lock the remaining inventory in the safe.

OP
OP
M

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
nobody asked you Erika, so sit down and be quiet :p

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Originally posted by medic03@Feb 3 2005, 01:53 AM
nobody asked you Erika, so sit down and be quiet :p
:p

You're still mad that when I hit you in high school you started crying in the middle of the Commons and everyone saw you cry like a little girly man.

Margaritaville

Forum Lieutenant
We are taking a serious look at RSI. Does everyone like it? Has it proven to be a useful enough tool to justify the training and costs?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Feb 2 2005, 09:33 PM
We don't carry regular drugs with us, but once we open the safe with the narcs, they're in a fanny pack that we have to wear until we do our inventory update and re-lock the remaining inventory in the safe.
i've done a little research, and sevral local areomedical services have both medic and nurse carry the narcs on their person, usually a fanny-pack arrangement. sevral medics carry versed and sux, too...just prefrence...

Jon

Merck

Forum Lieutenant
You guys are making me jealous. RSI has been a long standing argument for us. To date, we haven't been licensed to use it it in the field (save for the airevac qualified folks). Sadly, we usually just overdose people on midaz and possibly morphine if we need to knock them down. Interestingly enough, while this seems a little basic, I haven't found a lot of good research on the efficacy of prehospital RSI and what I have found doesn't seem to really support it. Do you guys have specific scenarios or protocols, or does it just fall to sound judgement and experience.

Phew. That's a lot of typing......where's me beer, eh?

Merck

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Currently writing new policy for ground truck. A a flight nurse/paramedic, we carry Entomidate,Fentyl, Pavulon, Suchs., Fentyl, Diprivan & the old usual Ativan (w/nasal atomizer if needed, M.S.) etc

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Ridryder911@Mar 30 2005, 07:47 AM
Ativan (w/nasal atomizer if needed
How does that work for you folks - I've seen the ads in JEMS, but never seen it in person.

Jon

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
had a seizing patient w/head bleed, clamped down , ... you know the type. sprayed & in about < 10 seconds seizure stopped. Love it ! researh shows, just as fast as IV route. I really recommend it.

Be safe,
]
Ridryder 911