Route of Epi Admin

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Has anyone heard of administering an Epi-Pen straight into the pt's cheek? Anyone currently do this?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
In the cheek? No. Sublingually, yes.

OP
OP
nwhitney

nwhitney

Forum Captain
I bring this up because I have a friend in dental hygiene school and this is taught during their emergency care course. They were taught to administer an Epi-pen straight into the pt's cheek or buccal. I had never heard this before.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Is it possible because many of the dental injections contain some epinephrine (especially the anesthetics), to decrease bleeding, your friend may have confused this, or the concentration/dose of epinephrine needed?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I bring this up because I have a friend in dental hygiene school and this is taught during their emergency care course. They were taught to administer an Epi-pen straight into the pt's cheek or buccal. I had never heard this before.

This is likely referring to the many local anesthetics that contain small concentrations of Epinephrine to promote vasoconstriction and reduce bleeding.

OP
OP
nwhitney

nwhitney

Forum Captain
Is it possible because many of the dental injections contain some epinephrine (especially the anesthetics), to decrease bleeding, your friend may have confused this, or the concentration/dose of epinephrine needed?

I suppose this could be the case but she was pretty clear that this was for anaphylaxis and not anything else.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Do you use this for localized airway swelling or an alternative route for peds during arrests as was mentioned?

I have not seen it used in Ped cardiac arrest. I have only heard of it being used in anaphylaxis.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
This was news to me until I read a case report from the late 90's and then saw a Cook County critical care blog which stated it was a "common administration route" for epi for peds in cardiac arrest.

I never heard of it either until my anesthesia training.

Pediatrics are often put to sleep with gas alone without an IV in place. If epi or sux or atropine are needed before the IV is started, they can be given IM or SL.

But I suppose it could be used for anyone, anytime you need to give an IM med.