Rookie crisis

Slushster

Forum Ride Along
Hi guys!
I'm a realativly new 18 year old EMT and I've been working on an als bus for about 6 months now. A few weeks ago the medic was trying to teach me how to use the glucometer and I swabed off the area and pricked myself. In this instance and many other instances I have dealt with blood. I'm not sure if this is a rookie crisis but I'm kind of freaking out thinking some how I got HIV from a clean needle. Please let me know
a) What I should do
And b) if I'm being an irrational 18 year old

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's full blown AIDS.

Kidding aside you are fine. The risk for getting HIV from a dirty needle stick is very slim. Fresh and clean needles are not just sitting around with HIV on them. Do a little research on how long HIV can survive outside the body on objects.

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
...HIV? No. HBV though...............?

You're not going to get any disease from using a clean needle. Kind of defeats the meaning of the term "clean" if you can get a disease from it.
a) Relax.
b) Yes.

You're only 18, but if you're worried about contracting something from a clean needle, how will you respond when you encounter blood on scene?

OP
OP
Slushster

Slushster

Forum Ride Along
Lol was my first impression. Do they still cover bloodborn pathogens in EMT school?
Yeah, they do. It's more of an irrational fear I guess...

You're only 18, but if you're worried about contracting something from a clean needle, how will you respond when you encounter blood on scene?

Well i've responded to many messy calls. When i have PPE on, I function 100%. When I got pricked, however, this irrational fear was triggered

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Maybe all the BSI and the blood borne pathogens training has just got you all freaked out.

If it continues to be a problem, you should probably seek some help.

Fry14MN

Security Officer/Dispatcher/FR
It is an irrational fear but I don't fault you for feeling that way. But like everyone else has said, it was a clean need. Breathe easy, you're fine. Use this as a lesson learned.

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm a little confused by the situation. Was the needle used? In order for HIV or Hep to be transmitted the pt must be infected. Even then the chances of transmission are very small. If it was a dirty needle, I hope you filled out the appropriate paperwork with your employer.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
i would be more concerned with finger gonorrhea honestly. It's a nasty disease.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yeah, they do. It's more of an irrational fear I guess...

Well i've responded to many messy calls. When i have PPE on, I function 100%. When I got pricked, however, this irrational fear was triggered
I'm confused. You got pricked while practicing glucometer use and are worried that you get a bloodborne infection? Isn't it your blood?

ERDoc

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm confused. You got pricked while practicing glucometer use and are worried that you get a bloodborne infection? Isn't it your blood?
This is what I was wondering about. I am confused about the original situation. Was it a used needle? Whose blood was on it?

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
This is what I was wondering about. I am confused about the original situation. Was it a used needle? Whose blood was on it?

I read it as him having alcohol swabbed the patient, grabbed a disposable auto-stick stylet type of device, and held it upside while applying pressure. (1) OWWWWW. (2) Literally the 2nd cleanest possible stick (1st cleanest being some sort of sterile stick).

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I read it as they were sitting around in between calls (either in station or at post) and were going over the glucometer and the OP purposefully pricked themselves as part of the "drill".........In my mind being roughly equivalent of worried about getting scabies from having fresh monitor leads placed on yourself during a drill going over 12 leads.