Rib Pain from the SNF

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
You are dispatched to the local SNF for a sick case. Dispatch advises an 86 year old female complaining of right lower rib pain, hx of surgery in the last 2 weeks and a BP of 90/40. You arrive to said SNF and are met by the nurse. She tells you the patient is complaining of right rib pain and is hypotensive. She also notes the patient is breathing shallow, complaining of painful inspiration. General impression of your patient is of no distress. She's alert and oriented. States her she began having pain about 21 hours earlier. She points to a spot on the right lateral rib cage near the floating ribs. You palpate, she grimaces and groans a little. No soft tissue swelling/bruising or crepitus. Pt denies any other complaints. Vitals are as follows: HR 80, BP 130/80 20 RR 96% on 2L. Where would you like to start?

JPINFV

Gadfly
OPQRST, history, allergies, medications, what was the surgery?

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Definitely curious about the surgery she had recently. Also any falls. What side does she sleep on? When in the day did the pain occur (after waking, during an activity, after a fall, etc.). Does she still have her gallbladder? Any history of liver issues? Bone issues?

OP
OP
truetiger

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Onset was at midnight (we got called at 2100) Patient woke up with rib pain, thought she slept on it wrong. Palpation/movement and inspiration provoked severe pain. She stated she could not take a deep breath, but denied being short of breath. Patient appeared asymptomatic otherwise. No radiation. She had a hard time describing the pain, I had to move on with the rest of the exam, very short ride to the ER. NKDA. Typical nursing home two page med list. Patient had a pacemaker placed 2 weeks prior. Patient had a strong radial pulse of about 80 upon arrival. Facility/ pt both denied fall/trauma.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
There's no way this is going to be as simple as it sounds.

Any pertinent hx besides the recent surgery?

Maybe it's just me but whenever a SNF RN/LPN tells me vitals I generally store them in my brains circular file cabinet.

Random question...palpable liver? Someone already asked but hx of gallbladder or liver problems? How's the surgical site look, near healed I would expect after two weeks but then again it's an 86 yo.

Physical exam show anything exciting?

So far this would be an ILS call in my system unless we decided to narcotic analgesia. Still on the edge about that though.

Any flank/back pain? difficulty/changes in urination? color/smell/floaties? Who's to say gma didn't get down with her bad self and bump into the wall and just doesn't remember doing it?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
There's no way this is going to be as simple as it sounds.

Any pertinent hx besides the recent surgery?

Maybe it's just me but whenever a SNF RN/LPN tells me vitals I generally store them in my brains circular file cabinet.

Random question...palpable liver? Someone already asked but hx of gallbladder or liver problems? How's the surgical site look, near healed I would expect after two weeks but then again it's an 86 yo.

Physical exam show anything exciting?

So far this would be an ILS call in my system unless we decided to narcotic analgesia. Still on the edge about that though.

Any flank/back pain? difficulty/changes in urination? color/smell/floaties? Who's to say gma didn't get down with her bad self and bump into the wall and just doesn't remember doing it?

I was waitring for someone to think flexure of the large bowel. Good. Techs are all about being out of the viscera. Never read about bowel auscultation or abdominal palp/percussion.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

This isn't an ILS call until she has had an EKG/12 lead. My last little old lady to complain of R sided rib pain coded in front of me.

Granted, her 12 lead wasn't actually all that suspicious for a cardiac event. She likely had R on T from all the ectopy she was throwing.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I was waitring for someone to think flexure of the large bowel. Good. Techs are all about being out of the viscera. Never read about bowel auscultation or abdominal palp/percussion.

Can I rephrase it and say "palpable masses" and not limit it to the liver? :p

I've always been told bowel sounds in EMS is kinda pointless/impractical to do a proper assessment of them but I'm always up for a different viewpoint.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Inhalation somatic dysfunction. Give me a second, I'll just pop that back in.

/Osteopathic medicine FTW.
//[/sarcasm]

mycrofft

Can I rephrase it and say "palpable masses" and not limit it to the liver? :p

I've always been told bowel sounds in EMS is kinda pointless/impractical to do a proper assessment of them but I'm always up for a different viewpoint.

"Color/smell floaties" implied bowel thinking and hx-taking. Yes, "the belly is a dark and dangerous place) and techs don't have as many protocols down there, but many's the time I was able to relieve a "heart attack" with symethicone PO once we established VS were normal and ther was tympany at the left upper quadrant. I also was late on a gallbladder once because security issues kept me from doing a good if minimalist abdominal exam.

Abdominal assessment helps determine proper tx, eliminate imporper tx, and esablish acuity.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
truetiger

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Physical exam reveals nothing exciting, only severe pain to palpation. Abdomen is soft, non tender. Surgical site looks normal, nothing out of the ordinary. Pt history reveals no other abdominal surgeries.

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Radiation? Rash? fever? Huge setup for shingles with the recent stress of surgery

mycrofft

YEah, rash? IS this TENDER, or PAINFUL, or both? Nature of pain? (Burning?). Looking at shingles here.

OP
OP
truetiger

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
No rash, radiation, or fever. Painful, very painful to palpation or when moving the patient, also kept her from taking a deep breath. No 12 lead. Asked if patient had been sick recently, was told "I don't know." Patient states she's been a little weak lately.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Costochondritis. Case solved.

Anjel

Forum Angel

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Musculoskeletal pain unless you give me a reason to think otherwise :)

OP
OP
truetiger

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Ok so here's the conclusion..... we out any reason to think it was anything besides musculoskeletal pain we transported BLS to the local community hospital about 5 mins away. As we were goofing around with the nursing staff, the doc steps in and asks for an EKG to be faxed to the big city hospital that the community hospital is a feeder for. He said its a STEMI. Our jaw dropped when we found out if came from our patient. They paged an emergency STEMI transfer. Patient ended up going to a different hospital and being admitted to the floor with an elevated troponin, however the cardiologist stated that the EKG was normal for the patient. Haven't heard anything further.