RFI. Anyone know what's up with AMR in NorCal.?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I work in Vegas and was called up to deploy to NorCal for a week or two to "Northern" California. I used to live up there, so I know AMR is all over up there. The request came from a regional manager, not an ops manager so no info on a specific area. I'm thinking possibly a strike, but I haven't heard anything.

Anybody got any info???

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Further, no info on exactly when we would deploy.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
AMR Sacramento might be going on strike. We find out Monday if they are going to strike for sure. If they do strike we leave either Monday night or Tuesday morning and have 2-3 days of orientation up there followed by a week or 2 of working.

There are 5 people from my division that I know of who signed up for it (there's probably more) and we are a small division.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Sweet

I was hoping it was Sac. My mom lives there. I mean, sorry it isn't working out for them, but I don't j ow what they're complaining about. Starting EMT Basics make $16-$17 an hour. Starting medic in Las Vegas is that. They need to strike... I miss my momma. Lol.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Thanks for the info.
Mods feel free to delete.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
They will likely have us in the same hotel. I'd imagine the little Marriott gardens that is literally 30 seconds from Sac Ops.

We will see. Surprised no one from Sac AMR is on here.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Possibly. Rumors have been they are looking to send 400+ people up there to cover.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Wow. Really? They don't even have that many people working there. It's a small operation they've got. They do Sac county 911 supplementing the County Fire Dept with only like 6 or 7 units. They also have the IFT contract for Kaiser.

Unless its the tri-county op as a whole going on strike? The Sac office runs Sac, Yolo, and Placer counties. That maybe would require 200 people, but 400 sounds a bit much.

I am eager to get some credible info so I can stop speculating. I just want to know if it is paid like a DRT deployment. As in you start getting paid as soon as you are on the plane, and you stop getting paid when you return home. That would be awesome. Also, the hourly rate is desirable info as well.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Where are you at Desert EMT?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
More than likely we will be paid a 24 hour rate (not the DRT pay). So we may get paid the whole time we are up there but it probably won't be the upgraded wage.

I'm in SoCal at a division called Desert Cities.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Indio, Palm Springs and all that?

I used to work in Rancho/Redlands. Almost got picked up out in Palm Springs.

Cool man. I'm down for the 24/7 rate. I could use the scratch.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Indio, Palm Springs and all that?

I used to work in Rancho/Redlands. Almost got picked up out in Palm Springs.

Cool man. I'm down for the 24/7 rate. I could use the scratch.

Yep. We have around 12 cities that we cover. I'll make some phone calls tomorrow to our supervisors and ops manager and see what new information they have. I called yesterday and there was no new info.

I imagine it's going to be a logistical nightmare. Flights to coordinate, hotel rooms, transport from the airport to the hotel, transport from the hotel to the operation, how they are going to arrange shifts, plus the orientation we are supposed to be getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
It's not their first rodeo like this. This has happened in other operations before. They have it mostly worked out, I'm sure. Little glitches here and there, but with their deep pockets they can make anything happen.

Thanks for checking up tomorrow. Our supervisors here are in the dark. They were told to see who wanted to go and that's all.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
That's all our supervisors were initially told. Our ops manager went to the major division in my area and was having meetings with other ops managers, general managers, and I believe some HR people.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Myself and my partner will be going as well if it goes through.

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
Possibly not just Sac... There are several regions in up here having issues with AMR corporate, or so I hear... Apparently asking their workforce to take a pay cut while their execs keep getting bonuses isn't a popular idea... but the "profitability is enormous" if you screw your employees.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Possibly not just Sac... There are several regions in up here having issues with AMR corporate, or so I hear... Apparently asking their workforce to take a pay cut while their execs keep getting bonuses isn't a popular idea... but the "profitability is enormous" if you screw your employees.

How much of a cut are they wanting? I'd love to support you guys, but this deployment will get me totally out of debt... And at an EMT pay-rate, that's speaking a lot.

Edit: You can PM me the cut rate if you don't want to say it publically; I won't post it on here.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheLocalMedic

Grumpy Badger
How much of a cut are they wanting? I'd love to support you guys, but this deployment will get me totally out of debt... And at an EMT pay-rate, that's speaking a lot.

Edit: You can PM me the cut rate if you don't want to say it publically; I won't post it on here.

I heard that it was 10% across the board. Which is pretty huge if you ask me.