Reviewing Material

musicislife

Forum Crew Member
What do you guys do to keep your skills sharp? (besides riding, of course)

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
What do you guys do to keep your skills sharp? (besides riding, of course)

Reading, (I assume that's what you meant to type), teaching, and being in a very busy system serve me pretty well.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Teaching skills at the college. Busy EMS system. Sitting in on the lecture part of EMT class.

Anjel

Forum Angel
Medic school.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Reading, (I assume that's what you meant to type), teaching, and being in a very busy system serve me pretty well.

Maybe he meant riding as in on an ambulance? But reading is also an excellent idea and one I don't do nearly enough.

Sorry to make that more clear volunteers tend to call shifts worked on the ambo riding.

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Listening to lectures for the EMT class, being an EMT TA, nursing school, looking up things when I think about them, and reading.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
This forum. Aside from that I have a boss that is very keen on expanding my knowledge and he challenges me to think critically every day.

Frankly I think you're worrying yourself too much with all the scenarios and whatnot. MFR is 40 hours (or am I wrong?), the amount of material that one can possibly learn in that amount of time is not huge. You will not forget as much as you think, and once you begin working this will likely become clear.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
This forum. Aside from that I have a boss that is very keen on expanding my knowledge and he challenges me to think critically every day.

Frankly I think you're worrying yourself too much with all the scenarios and whatnot. MFR is 40 hours (or am I wrong?), the amount of material that one can possibly learn in that amount of time is not huge. You will not forget as much as you think, and once you begin working this will likely become clear.
As he said, MFR is just 40 hours. You really won't forget what you've learned in those 40 hours. Once upon a time, I had a boss that used to say that I'd forgotten more than he'd ever learned... :blink: Great guy though. Seriously, this forum has been good for getting me back into the medic mind-set. It's also good to learn from others and "hear" what they're doing and what interventions they have available, and how they're used. Too bad I don't get to "go play" while at work... :angry:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Lecture material seriously degrades by the end of two to three months. Keep reading and rereading. And not just EMTLIFE.

Ramis46

Forum Crew Member
The JEMS magazine... I think it has lots of good informations with lots of cool up-and-coming equipment reviews.