Resources for EMS days at Elementary Schools (kids ages 5 - 12)

lex

Forum Crew Member
Hey all.

I was approached today by a teacher at the local elementary school looking for us to come and do a presentation to her class about what we do in the ambulance. I have a great set of resources but being that I recently moved it all got packed up and stuck into storage.

We're going to do an ambulance tour but would like to do some basic first aid, when to call 911, putting pressure on bleeding, helping someone until the ambulance gets there, etc. with the kids who are not on the tour. I am looking for links to downloadable/printable resources that we might be able to use with this group. Or if anyone has any files that they might like to share I would be happy to provide an e-mail that files could be sent to.

I've done lots of teaching sessions with kids but would love any games, activities and other ideas that anyone has to offer as I am sure there are some brilliant ideas out there.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hey all.

I was approached today by a teacher at the local elementary school looking for us to come and do a presentation to her class about what we do in the ambulance. I have a great set of resources but being that I recently moved it all got packed up and stuck into storage.

We're going to do an ambulance tour but would like to do some basic first aid, when to call 911, putting pressure on bleeding, helping someone until the ambulance gets there, etc. with the kids who are not on the tour. I am looking for links to downloadable/printable resources that we might be able to use with this group. Or if anyone has any files that they might like to share I would be happy to provide an e-mail that files could be sent to.

I've done lots of teaching sessions with kids but would love any games, activities and other ideas that anyone has to offer as I am sure there are some brilliant ideas out there.

You may want to check out:
http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/CIR.0b013e31820b5328
A scientific discussion of the merits of teaching CPR and AED usage to students as young as elementary school.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Practice calling 911, talk about when to call 911, and have the kids actually call 911. This is what is going to make a huge difference in their lives.

If kids know how to call 911 and give clear, accurate address and nature of the problem, they will save lives.

Recently, I witnessed a life-threatening injury take place, and was completely taken up with taking care of the problem, and the rest of the adults on scene were runnign frantic. A 10 year old called 911. If he hadn't, and we failed to free him from his entrapment, the man would have died.

Don't clutter your message, and don't let kids think they should/do have the responsibility to mitigate emergencies. Teach them what an emergency is, and how to call for help.

Emma

Forum Lieutenant
We had one of those visits where I used to teach. The EMS people played the role of 911 and had the kids call them to practice. The kids were in groups, each kid had a card telling them how to act/what to say and the kid with the phone had to put it all together. They were judged on how they made the call afterwards.

It was hard for them to do, but they really were into it. Lots of them had stories about having to call for a family member.

This year we are taking the science club kids to a CPR class. They're excited to go, but we'll see how much a pack of 13 year olds gets out of it in one Saturday.