Research Writer seeks EMT/Paramedic help!

dzodge

Forum Ride Along
Hello all,

I'm Matt, a research writer for the AM Best Company in New Jersey. I write reports that underwriters use to write insurance policies for companies/non-profits/industries. For example, I'm updating a report from the late 1990s regarding Ambulance Services and Rescue Squads. It's horribly out of date, and that's where I'm hoping some friendly EMTs/Paramedics on this board might come in.

I'm respectfully asking you to school me on how things have changed in your field over the last decade and a half. As technology and medicine both change, so will your jobs, I imagine.

So what I'm interested in knowing is:
1. What types of new equipment do you find in your vehicles?
2. What types of medicines/drugs are commonly kept in the back of ambulances?
3. What would you tell someone -- me, for instance -- regarding steps you must take not only to safeguard yourself against lawsuits, but your squad, too?

I have loads more questions, but wanted to introduce myself first. Anything you tell me would be used in general terms to help me gain and understanding of your work. I can acknowledge your help at the end of my report, if you like, but I would have to verify you are who you say you are.

I'm not looking to expose trade secrets or anything like that. Really, it's to help underwriters know what types of insurance to write, and what to look for in determining the EMTs they're insuring are qualified for the job, and are doing things the right way.

Send me a message if you're interested in learning more, and I hope to hear from you!

Matt

WhiskeySix5

Forum Crew Member
Hello all,

So what I'm interested in knowing is:
1. What types of new equipment do you find in your vehicles?
2. What types of medicines/drugs are commonly kept in the back of ambulances?
3. What would you tell someone -- me, for instance -- regarding steps you must take not only to safeguard yourself against lawsuits, but your squad, too?

I'm not looking to expose trade secrets or anything like that. Really, it's to help underwriters know what types of insurance to write, and what to look for in determining the EMTs they're insuring are qualified for the job, and are doing things the right way.

Matt

I cannot speak for everyone and all services, but I can state that my organization is very tight lipped about Op Sec and our vehicles. I would think most insurance companies would know what equipment is carried on a box given the fact that they are insuring said equipment?

You might think about trying to do some ride outs with your local service. Contact them to find out how to go about this.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Consider looking into state Department of Public Health requirements for vehicles-- regarding what equipment and supplies must be carried on given ambulances.

I recommend you grab a copy of an EMT or Paramedic textbook from a local library for detailed explainations of specific pieces of equipment, but generally, on all ambulances you'll find:

There are always new pieces of equipment- a short list includes:
- Powered Cots (stretchers)
- AutoPulse/LUCAS/Thumper
- Med pumps
- ePCR software/Tablets
and MUCH more...

Medications:
At the Basic Life Support Level:
- Oxygen
- Oral Glucose (for low blood sugar)
- Epinephrine auto-injectors (for allergic reactions)
- Aspirin (for cardiac events/chest pain)
- Naloxone (for narcotic overdoses)
- Charcoal (for poisonings)

At the Advanced Life Support Level (much more, in alphabetical order):

- Activated Charcoal
- Adenosine
- Albuterol
- Amiodarone
- Aspirin
- Atropine
- Calcium Chloride
- Cetacaine spray, phenylephrine spray, 2% lidocaine jelly
- Dextrose D10, D25, and D50
- Diazepam and/or Lorazepam
- Diltiazem HCL
- Diphenhydramine
- Dopamine
- Epinephrine (autoinjector, 1:1000, 1:10,000, racemic)
- Fentanyl
- Furosemide
- Glucagon
- Hydrocortisone or methylprednisolone
- IV Solution (Normal Saline)
- Ipratropium Bromide
- Lidocaine
- Magnesium Sulfate
- Metoprolol
- Midazolam
- Naloxone
- Nitroglycerin
- Nitropaste
- Ondansetron
- Oral glucose
- Oxygen
- Saline Flush
- Sodium Bicarbonate
- Thiamine

and optionally, at least in MA:
- Cyanide Antidotes
- Hydroxocobalamin (Vitamin B12)
- Morphine Sulfate
- Nerve Agent Antidotes
- Tetracaine
- Vasopressin

Whew!

For more information about NJ Ambulances, check out
http://web.doh.state.nj.us/apps2/forms/subforms.aspx?pro=ems#inspection

Hope this helps, i'll try to post more later.