Reputable EMS services in the New York and MA states

NDK911

Forum Probie
Hello,

I am looking for some input on the best EMS Services in New York and MA!

I’m from Ohio and as some may agree Ohio is not in the high ranks when it comes to pay! I understand this is a matter of opinion topic but honest and constructive answers would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!

Stay Safe..

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
You might want to be more specific with what you are looking for. You start out by talking about wanting the best services in two states, and then move on to talk about the pay in Ohio. There are plenty of people on this board who've worked those areas and I'm sure they can give you their opinion on the best EMS services, but it might not be what you are looking for without knowing specifics of what you are looking at.

OP
OP
NDK911

NDK911

Forum Probie
Well I’ll agree that my question is a bit to vague, a lot really.

I’m looking for input on what others recommend within those states!

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
What areas of Massachusetts are you looking at?

OP
OP
NDK911

NDK911

Forum Probie
I’m open to anything really, I’m just starting to look into it so it’s not an around the corner type of thing but, outside of Boston is kind of what I was thinking but like I said I’m open to all suggestions and inputs. I will look into them all once I get some!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Stay out of NYC...
I have to say, Buffalo or Rochester probably wouldn’t be a bad place to be an EMS provider (given the low cost of living).

OP
OP
NDK911

NDK911

Forum Probie
Thank you for that information, that’s a huge help. I worked for Rutal Metro Ambulance, I forgot they ran in both areas. We got bought out by AMR so not sure what the situation is now but that’s good!

Thank you again for the kind reply!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Stay out of NYC...
I have to say, Buffalo or Rochester probably wouldn’t be a bad place to be an EMS provider (given the low cost of living).
You can add syracuse to that list. however, since R/M runs the EMS up there, the pay isn't that great, and many of the providers get their experience and then leave for career FF or county paramedic jobs because they pay more and don't run you into the ground.

OP
OP
NDK911

NDK911

Forum Probie
Yes that seems to be the case across the board don’t it ? Ok, I worked for metro in Youngstown, OH so call type should be the same... Youngstown is crazy lol

County EMS would be a nice gig. 11 years in for me as I stand now, I need my fire card ans I’ll be good to go for most departments, I’m 33 going on 34 here in a few weeks so clocks ticking for me if I want to get a chance at a larger department!

DrParasite

your profile says your an EMT. if you want to make more money, get your paramedic.
Do you want to be a career EMS provider? or use it as a stepping stone to something else (fire, PD, healthcare, whatever).

If you want to become a fireman, or a fire medic than move to Maryland or Northern VA. you will make more money, and have a better retirement system.

If you want to be a career EMS provider, than I wouldn't look at R/M It's a job, and a great place to gain experience, but it's not a career for most people.

If you want to be a career EMTS provider, start looking at what you want. There isn't a "best" ems system; they all have their perks and drawbacks, and often the "better" ones are hard to get hired by.

If you do want a career path, and want to give rural EMS a shot, why not look at Vermont? a former coworker of mine accepted a position at Bennington Rescue Squad, and he has nothing but great things to say about the organization and the location.

OP
OP
NDK911

NDK911

Forum Probie
Constructive criticism finally lol, thank you for that and well I was in the fire service years ago, full time fire and full time EMS, the draw back was it was a separated system so I ultimately had to make a choice, for myself I fell in love with the medical Field. I am well on my way for medic school so that’s happening without a doubt, I’m bored and want to provide a higher level of care.

Putting it as the “best” ems service may have been too narrow as I myself understand it’s all about opinion and what would be considered best to me may be different to you or others so I understand where your coming from.. it’s the suggestions that matter to me and I appreciate all the replys I’m getting as it’s helping me! I definitely want to make a career out of EMS and Fire service was something I recently decided to re visit! I know that to get the decent pay and benefits etc, getting on a department whether city/ county is the general way to go!

Thanks for your reply DrParasite

agregularguy

Forum Lieutenant
Worked in the capital region area of NY, as well as eastern MA. Both have many Fire based EMS regions. Anyone who knows me knows my thoughts on fire-based EMS, needless to say though I won't be recommending any of those.

In NY, Colonie EMS is a good spot to be (if you have to be in NY/MA, SC is so much better..) I don't recall if they hire basics or not, so you'd have to check. Lots of opportunities for special teams there, good service. Big on training. Everyone I've been around in the area speaks highly of the agency there. That being said, I haven't worked in that area in years, so I'm not very knowledgeable on the current happenings there.
Albany County Sheriff's Office runs EMS as well, but there's another member on here that works there so I'll let him chime in on that.

OP
OP
NDK911

NDK911

Forum Probie
MA and NY were our target areas and we have slightly considered humoring NJ but that’s up in the air. We are a little ways out frkm any kind of move but I wanted a jump start now to look at my options out there.

Fire based EMS opinions are always fun topics lol I understand! I worked in SC and to be honest I didn’t care for it but it was fun while it lasted anyway. I definitely would love to hear more about the sheriffs office based EMS.

I won’t be an EMT for long, by the time I move I’ll be a medic, at least we hope. If I find a prospective position that I’m looking for then we (the family) will jump on it and make it happen but until then things will continue to roll slowly while I earn my medic card.

I greatly appreciate the feedback seriously, I’m learning how the different regions function by all the replies I receive!

VentMonkey

Family Guy

DrParasite

MA and NY were our target areas and we have slightly considered humoring NJ but that’s up in the air. We are a little ways out frkm any kind of move but I wanted a jump start now to look at my options o there.
I am just getting back from visiting family in Jersey. Great bagels, great pizza, and the pay for EMS has the potential to be much higher than in other places (when i left, I was making around 22/hr as an EMT). Property taxes will kill you, but if you can make it in Jersey, in a high volume/high patient contact system, everything else is easy. it's far from perfect, but it's a lot better than what others say, at least when they discuss their EMT partners.
Fire based EMS opinions are always fun topics lol I understand! I worked in SC and to be honest I didn’t care for it but it was fun while it lasted anyway. I definitely would love to hear more about the sheriffs office based EMS.ast

I won’t be an EMT for long, by the time I move I’ll be a medic, at least we hope. If I find a prospective position that I’m looking for then we (the family) will jump on it and make it happen but until then things will continue to roll slowly while I earn my medic card.
I'm now in NC, and I love it. low taxes, good weather, flexible protocols, and if you are a medic, you are golden (it does kinda suck to be an EMT on the ambulance). I live in the second largest city, and it doesn't have the big city metro feel to it, more like a large town (except for downtown but that's only a small part of the city).

If you want a career in EMS, you can definitely make one in NC, especially if you get hired by an agency that works 24/72s. And if you do get hired by a public safety agency you can take all your firefighter 1 & 2 classes for free on your of hours (at least you can according to a medic buddy of mine who said he just did that; now he just needs to find a fire department)

you can do a search on here for "the best EMS system" and get everyone's opinions; however, at the end of he day, you want to find an agency that suits your needs, as well as have a backup plan in case your ideal agency doesn't work out as you are expecting it

OP
OP
NDK911

NDK911

Forum Probie
Thanks a lot for your help.

I am very used to high volume ems in a metro setting (Cleveland/ Youngstown) are very busy places for the most part so that don’t bother me! Your pay in NJ as an EMT is awesome, that’s very good and I don’t expect EMTs or medics anywhere to be a lavish amount but Ohio truly is a low paying state and a lot of ppl are right where I am, moving on and away! I have an old supervisor of mine for metro in Youngstown who left to work in NC and he also loves it! I can’t seem to have the desire yet to move south but never know, if the opportunity is great and its a department/ municipality then I won’t be stupid and pass it up!

Last edited:
OP
OP
NDK911

NDK911

Forum Probie
To add, I’m 33 turning 34 this month so clocks ticking for larger departments for me!

DrParasite

I am very used to high volume ems in a metro setting (Cleveland/ Youngstown) are very busy places for the most part so that don’t bother me!
So I looked up both cleveland and youngstown... they are an hour away from each other.... so my out-of-state eyebrow would be raised if you lumped them both in as a similar type of system. Also, high volume is a relative term depending on where you work. That's like me saying I used to work in a high volume EMS system (NYC/Small town NJ), where the latter only got 1500 calls a year; but it was only a 45 minute drive to NYC. You can't really group them together, and if you didn't actually work in Cleveland, I wouldn't say you did (unless you did, and I misread something).

And for the record, Cleveland EMS was hiring recently.
Your pay in NJ as an EMT is awesome, that’s very good and I don’t expect EMTs or medics anywhere to be a lavish amount but Ohio truly is a low paying state and a lot of ppl are right where I am, moving on and away!
the agency I worked for was either the top or 2nd higher paying agency in the state..... so I wouldn't call it the norm, but like with all jobs, the better paying ones often have a lot of applicants for a few spots. I used to say that I wouldn't get out of bed for less than $12 an hour, but there are plenty of people in EMS who work for less than that.

Also, when you look at salary, you need to look at cost of living too/ my taxes were 5x as much in NJ as they are in NC; and my cousin is renting a 2 BR / 2 BA apartment in Manhattan, and paying 6,000 a month; so if he is making 100,000+ a year, you can see where a lot of his funding is going (and no, he doesn't work in EMS)
I have an old supervisor of mine for metro in Youngstown who left to work in NC and he also loves it! I can’t seem to have the desire yet to move south but never know, if the opportunity is great and its a department/ municipality then I won’t be stupid and pass it up!
One thing to remember about NC: EMS is very much a county responsibilities, so the county's tend to run the EMS system, or outsource it, or manage the franchise's. It also means that 100 different counties operate differently, pay differently, and have different schedules, and if you have seen one county, you have seen one county. Your former supervisor might love where he works (and what's not to love, really?), but they might not be hiring. or if you do get hired by his agency, you might find yourself miserable; then what are you going to do? There are plenty of opportunities out there (https://news.ncems.org/employment is probably a great place to start for NC EMS jobs, followed by the particular agency's websites), especially once you get your P card.
To add, I’m 33 turning 34 this month so clocks ticking for larger departments for me!
this is true, civil service might stop you at 35...I moved to NC at 32, work PT for a FD, and know many people that were hired later in life. Age doesn't matter, it's all in how you do the job. And I'm sure there are other agencies like that as well.

That being said, what do you want to do? if you want to be a full time big city firefighter (and there is nothing wrong with that), than find 10-20 departments that you want to work for, research what is needed for them to hire you, and spend the next 13 months traveling all over the US taking all the tests you can find. If that's your goal, do it. And if you are unsuccessful in those 13 months, you still have the ability to do something else.

You said you fell in love with EMS; does that mean being on the engine full time is something you are willing to give up on? because many EMS only agencies don't have any age limits.

One last thing: you have a another pretty face in your profile picture: What does she want to do? is she moving with you? can her job or occupation transfer to anywhere? What is the job market for her industry? My sig other moved to NC with me, and she has been having issues finding a full time and permanent job down here in her field.

OP
OP
NDK911

NDK911

Forum Probie
Thank you for the info,

Yes Cleve just closed there application process as of the 24th and agreed cle and YO are no NYC but have a higher volume in our area, i worked both cities.

She and I have for a long time discussed moving together and abs we have been looking into this together!

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@NDK911 I'm the member all the above folks were mentioning (@VentMonkey @agregularguy) Ive been at albany county sheriffs office part time(my full time job is in law enforcement) now for a while. I work on our critical care rig as a 3 person "team" (Driver/EMR, EMT-B/me, CC-P, my partner) Often times im in the back assisting with providing care. I don't know what your looking to know, but i can probably answer it if it's about albany county sheriffs office. My pay as a basic on a critical rig, is probably roughly the same as paramedics on normal rigs, around the nation. give or take some of course. I also KNOW FOR A FACT there will be 1 EMT-B opening come march, since i'll be moving.