REPLICA

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
There is a new NREMT EMS inititive called REPLICA that appears to grant those with an NREMT card and a local certification in a participating state the right to "practice" in other participating states.

Each state is required to sign it into law, but there are quite a few already. More than 10 actually with a few more that have proposed legislation to adopt the law.

Perhaps I was reading it wrong, but this appears to be pretty sweet.

https://www.nremt.org/rwd/public/document/replica

Summit

Critical Crazy
woah!

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

Summit

Critical Crazy
Does this allow for practice in mutual aid situations across a border? If so, under which states practice act?

Denver medic

Forum Ride Along
I learned about this recently through my work. We have a rotor base in Cheyenne Wyoming and we're currently required to hold Colorado and Wyoming certificates; I'm hoping that will end with the replica program.

Sent from my XT1094 using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Georgia joined, but South Carolina and Florida haven't. It'll make life a lot easier when they do.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
>
unable to upload image

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Unable to upload image

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
REPLICA is great, but it is just a first step - the RN compact has, what, 25 states?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Sadly I don't see CA doing this anytime soon

Summit

Critical Crazy

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
None of what I would call...high-touch regulation states (i.e. NY, CT, MA, CA, etc.) have gone for this...and I don't think they're in the nursing compact, either. So, for those of us in states like those mentioned above, I doubt we're likely to get any relief soon.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
That's a shame as well. I had to have both a RI and CT when I worked in Connecticut, and it was a hassle. As long as we're all meeting the initial requirements for licensure and the CE requirements, it should be a simple transfer if information. This type of compact agreement makes it so much easier for medics who may have opportunity to cross state lines.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
That's a shame as well. I had to have both a RI and CT when I worked in Connecticut, and it was a hassle. As long as we're all meeting the initial requirements for licensure and the CE requirements, it should be a simple transfer if information. This type of compact agreement makes it so much easier for medics who may have opportunity to cross state lines.

Yeah, it's a bit loony. I mean, imagine what would happen if there were an incident in a major metro area near a state border or two that exhausted local resources...and you wanted to have services from the adjacent states assist? Wouldn't it be easier to have personnel ability to practice across state lines all pre-planned by statute (in addition to any mutual aid type agreements)?

I live in NY, but I practice in CT...it would be a heck of a nice thing if I didn't have to do *two* recerts if I want to maintain both licenses...

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
At my last job we regularly responded to Kentucky for mutual aid and were not required to have a certification (as it should be)

Most of us held certs in Kentucky and Illinois because of our "critical care" services.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Would be nice, but NJ and PA have a pretty level reciprocity so it hasnt been an issue for me. Also NJ DOH is pretty liberal with the waivers for a mutual aid scenario. They granted waivers during Sandy so Indiana and PA medics could just work under their scope from home

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Finally. Why are the simplest, most obvious things often so hard to get done?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Finally. Why are the simplest, most obvious things often so hard to get done?

Maintaining the status quo has lots of value for existing stakeholders, that's for sure. The petty feifdoms of state ems offices don't want to lose what power they have, and they sure as heck don't want to lose their sinecures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk