Remind me not to buy a seesaw for my kids...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
So during my 24 yesterday we were walking through the ER bored as heck (1 call the whole day)

We come up to one of the rooms with an 8yo f that got injured on her seesaw.

Bilateral compound tib/fib.

Ouch.

Sasha

Forum Chief
So during my 24 yesterday we were walking through the ER bored as heck (1 call the whole day)

We come up to one of the rooms with an 8yo f that got injured on her seesaw.

Bilateral compound tib/fib.

Ouch.

I've fallen off a see-saw before at the top, and my sister has stepped off of it while she was at the bottom. Whether plummeting to the ground on the see saw or falling off of it and plummeting to the ground sans metal between your legs, it hurts like heck.

See Saws are dangerous and need to be taken off playgrounds.

Who'se bright idea were they anyway? Lord.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief

The same guy who invented the merry-go-round that used to haunt every public park. Watching kids strugle to hold on as I spun them faster and faster was awesome. Watching them go flying off and landing 20 feet away with a variety of blunt force trauma ROCKS! :p j/k

emt1994

Forum Probie
Thanks Ill make sure my triplets stay off of them and fling there little sister off of it I sure dont need that happening.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
when i was a kid, i clipped my knee/tib-fib on one. didn't break (because i drank my milk and ate my wheaties)... but boy oh boy di it bruise and swell... couldnt walk right for a few days.

and what about the swing set... nobody has mentioned the thought of "getting horizontal" to the bar... or distance when you jump off of the swing at the max height and speed!

Sasha

Forum Chief
or distance when you jump off of the swing at the max height and speed!

That's sooooo much fun.

reaper

Working Bum
I've fallen off a see-saw before at the top, and my sister has stepped off of it while she was at the bottom. Whether plummeting to the ground on the see saw or falling off of it and plummeting to the ground sans metal between your legs, it hurts like heck.

See Saws are dangerous and need to be taken off playgrounds.

Why would you want to take away one of the greatest playground rides?

We all survived them, so will future generations!;)

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Or those animals on the HUGS springs that you could ride back and forth. Those were great until you ended nose first on the concrete! Not that I would know, hahaha. :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
Heck, why not just wrap all of the kids in bubble wrap?

/me misses the old style play grounds. It isn't fun if you can't get hurt. Suck it up nancies...

/me was also injured in a playground mishap on one of those 2-3 story tall space ship slides. example. Strange, I'll survive with the scar on my face...

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oh, sure, it's fun to pop and all (/me goes and buys some more lab stuff just for the extra large bubbles), but I'm not going to fashion it into a shirt.

trevor1189

Forum Captain
Playgrounds can be dangerous... I remember in elemetary school someone jumped off a swing and broke both wrists on landing. Ouch!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Saw a little girl with probable mandib fx and definite busted teeth.

Teeter totter caught her under the chin while she was climbing on from the end, another kid hopped on the other end.
Just make em rise a lesser height.
I remember they had a cool vertical concrete sewer pipe to jump into like a foxhole. Then one day I jumped in and the big kids had dug out a couple feet of sand...couldn't climb out!:blush:

Kookaburra

Forum Lieutenant
The best way to jump off a swing is right when the swing starts rising after reaching the nadir of its parabola. You go shooting straight out over the ground, it's great.

Note: Don't do what I did tho, and try this at full speed when you're in your 20s and it's been at least 5 years since you were last on a swing. The extra inertia sent me at least twice as far as I ever remembered going as a kid - and right into an oak tree.

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
Never liked See Saws..but jumping out of trees was always fun!

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I managed to rip out one of my permanent incisors with the unfortunate combination of a swing set and a temporary clothesline that had been strung parallel to it and just a little too close. I was on the swings, pretending to bite it (8 y/o kids...), actually caught it, and it worked like a giant slingshot. They found the tooth about 40 ft. away after a few hours of searching. It's still in my mouth, but with a veneer hiding the fact that it ankylosed and never grew.

Amack

Forum Crew Member
Why would you want to take away one of the greatest playground rides?

We all survived them, so will future generations!;)

AGREED!:beerchug:

FutureParamedic609

Forum Crew Member
Guess they should take slides out too...
A couple years ago my sister was going down a slide and I guess she slipped and kinda fell foward.....anyway, she took a good chip out of her tooth.... we haven't been back to that park since! haha..

Emily

HasTy

Forum Lieutenant
You know i grew up on see saws and merry go rounds and i turned out alright...hmmm... that makes me think....maybe this song fits pretty well.....<_<

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AlrFOBmdVI[/YOUTUBE]