Relevance of Continuing Education for BLS providers

StreetMedicLA16

Forum Ride Along
I've been a member of this group for many years but haven't been active in posting or responding, mostly just following the discussions. As an EMS Educator and CE Program Coordinator in the Los Angeles area I've struggled for a long time with the challenge of developing a CE program that is relevant for BLS providers. Anyone who knows about EMS in Southern California, namely Los Angeles, knows that the role of the BLS provider is unfortunately very limited. Whenever I hold a class for a group of EMTs I always hear from at least one student who tells me that the class was interesting and that they appreciate learning more detail about a given disease or system but that at the end of the day since it isn't going to affect the BLS care they are able to provide the information isn't relevant to their daily practice.

So my questions for the both educators as well as BLS techs here is this: Given the relatively limited scope of the BLS provider, what do you expect to get out of continuing education (other than satisfying your mandatory hours requirements for recert)? What can make these classes more engaging and relevant while still qualifying as continuing education, that is not simply rehashing the EMT class over and over again but building on that base and expanding your knowledge and skill.

I look forward to your replies!

Last edited:

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Give us something relevant to our daily practice:
What the EMT REALLY needs is an education on social services, a complete knowledge of his/her area's facilities OTHER THAN ERs, a HUGE education in pharmacology, crisis intervention, self-defense, elder-care issues, drug abuse, suicide and all those other little things that they are -- as a rule -- are not prepared to handle but spend most of their time doing.
That quote is from three years ago.

Something as simple as Alzheimer's recognition, taught by someone who knows what they are talking about (preferably not blabbing from a powerpoint), will make more of a difference than going over the ABCs and trauma yet again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

StreetMedicLA16

Forum Ride Along
Flying: Thank you for that insightful reply. This is exactly the kind of information I hope others will share in this thread. I'm personally committed to tailoring my BLS CE program to the real needs of the providers. I also hope to hear from a combination of EMTs: ones that work primarily in non-emergency IFT environments and others who first-respond as "911" BLS units. With regard specifically to 911 BLS crews: what education would be help you perform your job better and improve your patient care?

Never2Old

Forum Crew Member
My first instructor told us the following about CE's, "You can be a 10 year certified EMT with one years experience, or a 10 year EMT with 20 years experience. And the way you achieve that experience is through continuing education." In other words, if all you ever know is what you were taught in your basic EMT class, then you will only ever practice to that entry level bit of knowledge no matter how long you have been in the field.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Home medications. No one ever taught them to me but it can make figuring out what's going on with the patient so much easier. I get that more complex patients will attended by a paramedic in Southern California, but still. When you're with a dementia patient who sustained a minor fall it's certainly nice to look at a med list and glean a basic history.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
In addition to home meds, what about an ALS assist class? Can't hurt to learn in a formal setting how to place leads, etc.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I've been trying to develop a BLS CEU program recently. It's tricky.

I think the emphasis should be content technically within the BLS scope, yet which they probably don't know. In other words, not the same "ABCs, Call ALS" nonsense they did in school; it's not a refresher. And yes, you have to prove to them why they should care.

Think BLS airways, shock, trauma, assessment in all respects, physical examination, meds, handling patient medical devices, mastering the gear on the truck, etc.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I think the emphasis should be content technically within the BLS scope, yet which they probably don't know.

Would love a physical exam class...
Or maybe a documentation class co-taught by a MD & attorney.