Redondo Beach Fire Department taking over EMS transports

OP
OP
aquabear

aquabear

World's Okayest Paramedic
Reading the info presented to the city council, it sounds like the will be putting three BLS ambulances staffed with AO's and two paramedic squads into service when the program is approved.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Reading the info presented to the city council, it sounds like the will be putting three BLS ambulances staffed with AO's and two paramedic squads into service when the program is approved.
Ah ok that makes more sense that what I was picturing based on the article by itself. RBFD operates similarly to LACoFD in that for EMS calls they send an Engine or Truck company in for first response and a non-transporting paramedic squad and dispatch a McCormick BLS for the transport vehicle. If the call is ALS the medics ride in with the ambulance and the engine/truck goes available to take the next call in District while the next squad has to come from neighboring areas.....and for BLS calls McCormick transports while both RBFD units go available and return to quarters (or wherever). Unlike LACo, RBFD dispatches McCormick code 2 (no lights, no sirens) for everything (doesn't matter if it's a stubbed toe or cardiac arrest). Also key difference is that unlike LACo who's squads are heavy duty pickup trucks with no transport capabilities, RBFD squads are fully stocked ALS rescue ambulances, and they already transport city employees....so when the article stated they wanted to spend all that money to buy new ambulances I was like "wait, they already own 2!" Lol Here I was thinking they'd simply start using their paramedic ambulances as, well, paramedic ambulances and simply start transporting in them without calling a third vehicle. I don't have any numbers, but I didn't think had enough calls for 3 ambulances with 2 squads, but obviously the city number crunchers do, c'est la vie