Red Light Cameras

Anonymous

Forum Captain
Anyone ever gotten a ticket from a red light camera while running code? I have tried searching to find out what becomes of the ticket and I have come across stories of the ambulance driver being held responsible for the ticket which is absurd to me but on the other hand if this were the norm I am sure I would have known about it. Anyone have any experience or insight?

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes, I have. But wasnt a ticket and just a reminder. We have CA exempt plates and were running Code 3

TB 3541

Forum Lieutenant
Isn't running red lights what code 3 is for? The ticket should be disregarded.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Nope. If we are running code then we are exempt from red light cameras. But I would like to see the pictures. It's common practice for us to make weird faces and do some other stuff when the camera takes the picture.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Nope. If we are running code then we are exempt from red light cameras. But I would like to see the pictures. It's common practice for us to make weird faces and do some other stuff when the camera takes the picture.

Now that's awesome.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain

Should you not be putting 100% of your focus and concentration into your respective jobs while under code? If you have a distracted driver with the right of way enter a controlled intersection and you and your partner are goofing off do you think having a picture of the incident is gonna help or hurt you?

With 22 years and somewhwere around 2 million miles of safe driving I can tell you that moving thru a contrlled intersection without the benefit of an opticon is very serious business. Im sure your a safe operator but you may want to rethink looking like anything otherthan the professionals you are especially with cameras everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Should you not be putting 100% of your focus and concentration into your respective jobs while under code? If you have a distracted driver with the right of way enter a controlled intersection and you and your partner are goofing off do you think having a picture of the incident is gonna help or hurt you?

With 22 years and somewhwere around 2 million miles of safe driving I can tell you that moving thru a contrlled intersection without the benefit of an opticon is very serious business. Im sure your a safe operator but you may want to rethink looking like anything otherthan the professionals you are especially with cameras everywhere.

Red light camera take a picture before you are in the middle of the intersection. When we stop at a red light we have the front of the ambulance sticking out a little past the crosswalk. Just that much will activate the camera. But we have to pull out that far so the other drivers can see the lights so the know to yield. Also we don't enter into the intersection anymore until we have scanned all lanes of traffic and made sure everyone has stopped. Only then will we go thru the intersection.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Red light camera take a picture before you are in the middle of the intersection. When we stop at a red light we have the front of the ambulance sticking out a little past the crosswalk. Just that much will activate the camera. But we have to pull out that far so the other drivers can see the lights so the know to yield. Also we don't enter into the intersection anymore until we have scanned all lanes of traffic and made sure everyone has stopped. Only then will we go thru the intersection.

Roger that. Check around to see how many intersections with red light cameras also have some other type of monitoring device. Just be careful not to put yourself in the position of having to explain to a prosecutor that you were just goofing off,when in reality you should be giving full attention to your job.

Im on the road in So Cal averaging 450 miles a day and get to see responders from many agencies running code. Having been an instructor and driver trainer I can honestly say 99% of the crews are doing a stellar job. Dont be that 1%.

With the large number of red light cameras in So Cal I have really had to adjust my driving habits since I left the North West. My number one change has been to never turn right on a red light,the liabilty that comes with entering an intersection when your not in control is tremendous and not worth the risk. People get pissed but turning right on red is a choice not a requirement.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Anyone ever gotten a ticket from a red light camera while running code? I have tried searching to find out what becomes of the ticket and I have come across stories of the ambulance driver being held responsible for the ticket which is absurd to me but on the other hand if this were the norm I am sure I would have known about it. Anyone have any experience or insight?

If it was me, being in California, I'd just submit a trial by declaration citing CVC21055.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Roger that. Check around to see how many intersections with red light cameras also have some other type of monitoring device. Just be careful not to put yourself in the position of having to explain to a prosecutor that you were just goofing off,when in reality you should be giving full attention to your job.
While technically the district attorney is the attorney of record for all public prosecutions, including infractions (being the lowest level of crime or public offense), good luck getting the DA to show up to traffic court, especially since they don't have to show up.

Besides, automatic enforcement videos are very limited in what they can be used for, and 21056 (due regard) isn't one of them.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
While technically the district attorney is the attorney of record for all public prosecutions, including infractions (being the lowest level of crime or public offense), good luck getting the DA to show up to traffic court, especially since they don't have to show up.

Besides, automatic enforcement videos are very limited in what they can be used for, and 21056 (due regard) isn't one of them.

Not talking traffic,my thoughts were more along the line of criminal court. An accident caused by a crews negligence would end up in criminal court if pushed by the DA. The negligence being that on the red light camera picture they are goofing off.

Cameras aside,crews need to be giving total attention to thier driving at all times. These days people are just to distracted which makes it even harder on crews responding code 3.

feldy

Forum Captain
We have a ton of red light cams and speed cameras...if we are running with lights on (code 2 or 3) then you are exempt but if we are driving to a post or a code 1 (on the rare chance we are assigned them) then we are eligible for getting a ticket and are expected to pay it.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not talking traffic,my thoughts were more along the line of criminal court.

Technically speaking, traffic court in California are criminal courts, and the vast majority of criminal court rules and procedures applies to traffic court as well.

94H

Forum Lieutenant
We usually send them to the DMV and point out that the emergency lights were on. That gets the ticket thrown out

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C

We had a medic get fired for doing such a thing, granted, he did the Bull Winkle face taking both his hands off the wheel. But still, even making faces is frowned upon by our company.

heatherabel3

Forum Lieutenant
Are you saying that you, personally, got the ticket? How would that even work? The ticket is sent to the owner of the vehicle, which in an ambulance is more than likely not the driver. So then wouldn't it be the company's responsibility to either deal with it or make you pay it?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Are you saying that you, personally, got the ticket? How would that even work? The ticket is sent to the owner of the vehicle, which in an ambulance is more than likely not the driver. So then wouldn't it be the company's responsibility to either deal with it or make you pay it?

At least in California a red light camera ticket is a moving violation (I believe it's even the same vehicle code section as a regular red light ticket). If it's obvious that the driver isn't the registered owner then the police department sends a strongly worded letter called a "snitch ticket" to the registered owner asking for the name of the driver. If the registered owner returns a name then a citation is written and mailed to the driver.

If it's a citation that's sent to the registered owner then the same applies except the original citation is dismissed prior to sending the new citation to the driver named by the registered owner.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
I drive with due regard, driving code does not excuse you from obeying traffic laws. It's not your emergency. I reckon if you rack up enough red light overruns, you can kiss your job goodbye. All of private companies in CA, that I'm aware of. Are not exempt.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I drive with due regard, driving code does not excuse you from obeying traffic laws. It's not your emergency. I reckon if you rack up enough red light overruns, you can kiss your job goodbye. All of private companies in CA, that I'm aware of. Are not exempt.

Actually in California, according to the letter of the law driving code very much exempts you from all of the traffic laws but the golden one, driving with due regard.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

As soon as you turn the lights and siren on you are exempt from all traffic laws (from illegal U-turns to speed limits to driving on the wrong side of the road) except due regard.