Recruits: Paramedics Series 1 on youtube

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb3KtF5HMxg

I don't know if this has been discussed on the boards, but I happened upon this series on youtube just now. It's a series on Australian Paramedics. I've just watched the first few minutes, and it looks pretty good.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It is mentioned in a few threads about ems tv shows.

I have watched it and wish there were more episides.

OP
OP

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
It is mentioned in a few threads about ems tv shows.

I have watched it and wish there were more episides.

I figured that. Thanks.

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Yeah its a good series- a good reflection for what paramedic work is like in Aus. It is obviously dramatised a bit but its a good quality show. People who are considering become a paramedic in Australia should watch it to get a realistic view of the types of calls and jobs we do.

As far as I know they are not making a 2nd season.

There is also a similar show called Recruits: behind the line which is about the NSW Police force.

Earthworm Jim

Forum Probie
I've watched the first season on YouTube and I thought it was great, very entertaining and interesting, obviously it's been dramatized, but at the same time it seems pretty real.

Some of the recruits are pretty funny too, I love listening to how the Aussies talk and the expressions they use, makes me want to move to Australia. I'm sure some of them are probably hamming it up for the camera, and I don't blame them, I'd do the same too.

I can't wait for the second season, I read that it should start in April, I just hope it gets uploaded to YouTube as well, otherwise I have no way of watching it here in Canada

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
From what I understand; ASNSW is the last service in Aus to still train people in the old way i.e. not requiring a University degree and is still quite protocol driven. The fact you had to call for ICP to do a 12 lead ECG is pretty poor, although I suppose it wasn't that long ago it was the same here.

There is a similar series called "Rapid Response" which I believe is in its 3rd or 4th season now; its good for a bit of public education about what happens after you call for an ambulance but there are loads of staff who don't like it, I don't like it, it's overdramitised, overhyped and focuses sole on the emergency work and dresses up less exciting urgent jobs to be "more exciting" than they are while totally ignoring the non-urgent patient transfer and non-emergency work.