Recruiting

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Another thread got me thinking about this.

What does your volunteer agency do to attact new members, and do you have a "Junior/Explorer" FF/EMS program?

My agency has an Explorer program, but we really don't do anything to attact new members. We do fund a small scholarship to a graduating senior who plans on going into Fire/EMS/Medical programs in college.

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Recruiting?? I don't think our squad does a whole lot we try to put ads in the paper and on our local channel but really haven't had much sucess. We had the most sucess after 9-11 otherwise it has been pretty slow going. I don't know about any other volley squads out side of northwest Iowa but I know we are struggling with finding day time coverage. We have about 8 people to run but 3 of them are out right now for medical reasons (usually lifting to much) Others like me have school and can help out in some afternoons or early mornings. But overall we are struggling. Our day shift looks really bad on the calender and you have to read it closely to figure out who you are running with.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
My township recently started this website Huntington Lifesavers. There are 13 volunteer FD's, 2 ambulance corps, and 1 paid FD (at the VA hospital) in the Township. The County has given the Township $200,000 to spend on this campaign which included big posters and signs around town (on the roadside, at the high schools, etc) and the website.

My FD doesn't do much to recruit... we're at quota right now for FF's so we're only accepting EMT candidates. If we have nothing to put on the sign out front we'll say "looking for a few good neighbors to be EMT's... inquire within". Mostly we recruit through word of mouth and people seeing us out and about.

The ambulance corps posts fliers at the local high schools and in local stores when we are getting ready to start a new probie class. We have two a year, usually March/April and September. We use our website, word of mouth, educational programs, and fliers to recruit.