Recipe ideas

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I try to cook batches of food ahead, so my wife and I can take a portion to work for lunch or dinner, and I'm getting tired of my normal recipes. I either bake chicken, make a brisket or pulled pork, make chili or a casserole type something. We usually bring meals to work neither in a microwaveable container or an individual crock pot. (These things are great!)

Does anyone else here meal prep for the week ahead? If so, could you share what you're doing? I could use some new ideas.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Hmmm, lets see. Some of my mainstays:

1. Baked tilapia with rice and asparagus
  2. Chicken parmigiana over noodles
  3. Shrimp or shredded chicken tacos
  4. Ground beef rice peas in spaghetti-o's (surprisingly delicious)
  5. Shrimp and steak over rice diced and added to vegetable medley
  6. Glazed teriyaki salmon
  7. Homemade spicy beef, chicken, or shrimp lo mein
These are just a few, I'll add more if I think of them. I'm not sure what your tastebuds are like. I like a lot of spicy stuff as well.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I like spicy, my wife not so much.

This is all stuff you're making ahead?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I don't have a specific recipe, but for something that's pretty easy to make and packs pretty well and can be healthy, I like stir-fry. Use any meat and veggies and sauce you like.

I also like to make eggs and sausage links, or omelets or frittatas. They all travel pretty well and taste fine heated up in the microwave.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I like spicy, my wife not so much.

This is all stuff you're making ahead?
Yeah, I suck at cooking. I grill, but my wife does the actual cooking, and we do prepack.

I don't like eating out at work unless I absolutely have to. I live out of tupperware at work. Anyone that's ever worked with me can attest.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
One of my go to's when cash is tight and I'm planning ahead is past and sausage of one type or another. Kielbasa, Italian, linguica etc. I'll make a box of bow ties, a jar of sauce and a pound or so of sausage and get 4 or 5 portions out of it. Obviously this can be scaled up as needed.

Most of the things I cook generate multiple portions simply because you can't buy one portion of something easily; but rarely do I plan to make a weeks worth of anything because I get bored eating the same thing over and over again.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I very rarely eat out when I'm at work. I'd much rather bring good, real food. Chicken and veggies is a big one. My wife doesn't like pasta much, but I'll try and twist her arm.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I second stir fry. Cheap and you make a bunch. Rice, eggs, veggie mix, chicken, stir fry sauce, and shrimp sauce for eating time. I would make this in 10ish lb batches when I had my apartment.

Shakes are good and portable to/from calls so you don't actually have to miss your meal. Ice, chocolate milk (or water), peanut butter, a banana or two depending on size, and a protein powder if you wanna pack in some extra calories and goodness. My blender = <3

Tuna salad sandwich, because it's cheap and delicious.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I do a killer breakfast casserole. Hash browns, eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese. Makes great sandwiches, tacos or just plain.

Also we do baked lemon garlic salmon with roasted asparagus, zucchini and cherry tomatoes.

My fiancé cooks most of our prepped stuff I'll ask her for more recipes. I just eat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Two packs of Goya red lentils + rice last me for 3 days. They are incredibly meaty tasting and have great value.

Couscous is also a fantastic starch option, much better at holding flavor than pasta, cooks ungodly fast, but is a tad more expensive per lb. They make up for that by being very filling by nature.

Last edited:

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
i cant tell you what ingredients go into it.. my fiance(chef) does all the cooking, however generally speaking i take about 4-5 meals to work with me.
On any given day i take: chicken, with some kind of salad(usually spinach salad), scallops (absolutely love scallops) with some lemon and rice maybe, couscous or however you spell it, some stir fry, and maybe "casserole" of eggs, hashbrowns, peppers, onions ect. Also a few things i've done to curb my hunger(doesn't sound like it i know) is get a 3-5 gallon pitcher, and find a fruit you like, and make "fruit water" which helps me fill up quite a bit, stay hydrated, and get vitamins ect. Already cooked ground beef also reheats decently well (cooked in sauce(taco seasoning, sloppy joe mix ect) already). However my personal addition to the list would be scallops. I agree with St though, some days a meal replacement shake is a good supplement to whatever you have already.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Ice, chocolate milk (or water), peanut butter, a banana or two depending on size, and a protein powder if you wanna pack in some extra calories and goodness. My blender = meathead

Fixed that for you.

I'm a big fan of Jym powders. Good mix of whey and casein. Plus buying a whey powder and separate casein powder is ridiculously expensive.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
Fixed that for you.

I'm a big fan of Jym powders. Good mix of whey and casein. Plus buying a whey powder and separate casein powder is ridiculously expensive.

That's more thinking than I ever did. I just bought what's affordable. Also got a lot of stuff for free.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Reddit and Pinterest are good sources for meal prep.
Pinterest is the land of Mason jars

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?