Recertification after lapse

Packman

Forum Ride Along
Hi folks,

I was an EMT-B in MA back in the day. My certification expired, probably close to 15-years ago. I am now trying to become certified in NY.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to do this as painlessly as possible? I have a wife and two young kids, and I work a full time job, so the standard (for volly's in my area) two days a week 6-10 PM for six months holds little appeal to me. It's hard enough to make it to drill Saturday mornings and go to calls as a driver / gopher.

I know that quick courses are looked down upon here, but I've been told by the training director of my agency that my skills are sharp despite the length of time since I last was certified. I there any way to challenge the exam for someone like me?

Thanks for any suggestions!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes there is!!

As soon as you complete a full and complete course you will be eligible to challenge the exam!!

(sarcasm yet serious)

If you want to do it, you will do it, no shortcuts.

OP
OP
P

Packman

Forum Ride Along
Gee, thanks for the valuable advice. (I guess I got what I paid for it!)

I'm going to do the course if I need to. I just wanted to see if anyone knew of something I was missing.

So be it.

jrm818

Forum Captain
I can pretty much guarantee you you'll need to take the EMT course, and that's the way it should be. 15 years is a long time - and though EMT-B is, well, very basic, some things have changed. MA only lets you shortcut within one year of the lapse, and even then you have to take a refresher. Since you never held a NY cert, I can't believe they'd cut you any slack.

Quite honestly I have no doubt that there are many people who never took an EMT course in their life but spent a few hours reading the book could pass the test. That doesn't mean that they're ready to be EMT's (although, admittedly, the educational requirements aren't acutally that much more rigorous). Take the class - I guarantee you you'll find some things that you've forgotten. if not, than go the extra mile on your own and take the time to delve deeper into the material.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Gee, thanks for the valuable advice. (I guess I got what I paid for it!)

I'm going to do the course if I need to. I just wanted to see if anyone knew of something I was missing.

So be it.

The information you are seeking is available through your state's EMS or Department of Health office which is more credible than asking about a specific situation pertaining to you on an anonymous forum.

With the information you provided and by asking for suggestions, you did open yourself up for opinions.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
NYS will not accept the previous expired out of state training and will tell you to take the course.

If you take the course, the volley agency should let you out of Saturday morning drill.

Flight-LP

Forum Deputy Chief
two days a week 6-10 PM for six months holds little appeal to me. It's hard enough to make it to drill Saturday mornings and go to calls as a driver / gopher.

That says it all right there...........................

You are trying to circumvent around the most basic simplistic information that you have not used in over a decade. Take the full class, educate yourself on the differences of "then" vs. "now" and then volunteer if you that the route you wish to go (despite the self proclaimed difficulty in going on calls as a driver / gopher).

But, if your not willing to put in the time and energy to be a useful EMT, then your doing nothing more than wasting your time and a slot for another potential EMT candidate.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
If you really want to do it, just suck it up and get on with it. Hundreds, if not thousands of EMT's across the nation have jobs, wives, kids and full time non-EMS jobs, yet still complete the course because they have the desire. I'm not questioning your skills, but I wouldn't let a mechanic touch my car if he hadn't picked up a wrench in 15 years, so I hope the analogy is clear. Good luck in your studies and let us know if we can be of assistance...