Re certification help

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
So in December I am gonna re certify my basic and I just can not find out if I have to take the continuing education class or just pay the fee to get my new card. I could certainly save that money (200 bucks) for academy but if the class needs to be take I will do it.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
NREMT.org

You'll need a refresher (enough CEs) or you can pay to retake the written NR exam.

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
Most states have a requirement for a minimum number of CE's you need to complete during your license period. In Pa as long as you have the 24 hours and do not have any outstanding investigations, suspensions you get the new card in the mail prior to your card expiring. If you have NR they require 48 CE's in the 2 year period, and either education classes with your provider agency, or a EMT refresher course. If you check with your service the training officer should be able to tell you what the process is and if your already screwed up with time elements to get the CE's done in time...happens on occasion to the oblivious here and really sucks bad to get it reinstated once it lapses.... :mellow:

OP
OP
titmouse

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
Thanks for the replies. I am gonna enroll tomorrow in the CE class at Miami Dade College where I got my EMT. Its 32 hours here in Florida, I have time til the first of December but I am gonna take care of it right now.

Medic496

Show strength when weak, and humility when strong
Good Move

What most EMT schools forget to teach new EMT students is the need to recertify every two years. All medical professions do it, each with their own requirements.

For every certification you have, there are requirements for renewal. Always know what those requirements are and start early on completing them. If one has a CE requirement for 72 hour to renew NREMT EMT, then start completing at least 4 CE per month. EMS is usually provided for free by hospitals and some EMS agencies.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
You can find cheaper or even free CE classes online. May I suggest MEDICED.com for online CE's. Talk to local Volly or Professional Ambulance/Fire Departments too, they can steer you in the right direction (or mentor you) on how to recert

topemttraining

Forum Probie
You can visit NREMT.org to find out about EMT/Basic Recertification Form and Recertification process for National Certification. NREMT allows online recertification and a recertification by examination, but you will have to complete their requirements including Refresher Training (a copy of your course completion certificate of 24 hours state or CECBEMS (F1, F2, F5) approved refresher training), current and valid CPR Certification, 48 additional hours of EMS related continuing education state or CECBEMS (F1, F2, F5) approved, verification of skill competences, processing fee, and approving signatures.