Quitting EMT job to raise money for medic school

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
Hey everyone! I'm in a bit of a pickle right now. I'm trying to save up a large sum of money to pay for medic school and cost of living while going (don't want to work while in school). I've got almost 5 years of experience as an EMT with a majority in a busy 911 system. I love my job and I've always wanted to be a paramedic. I started getting serious about saving for school about 2 years ago. However, making just under $12/hr is making it hard for me to achieve my goal. It's really frustrating and there's days where I just feel like giving up all together. A friend of mine says I could get a job with his company in an unrelated field and that I would make the money a lot quicker. What do you guys think? Would taking a temporary step back like this hinder me in any way? Has anyone tried this approach before? Thanks in advance for the advice!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Why not just work doing class? It's quite common, and can even be very beneficial in helping you understand and practice what you're learning.

OP
OP
D

DWemt28

Forum Crew Member
I know myself too well and I can without a doubt say that I have never been a school person. When I go to paramedic school, I want no distractions and I'm going to get it done right the first time. I also plan on relocating for school and I really don't wanna go looking for another job as an EMT. I want my next move to be a medic job.

Summit

Critical Crazy
You have a job lined up that will pay the significantly higher rate and give you enough hours?
Student loans?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm not sure how things work in Orange County, but there are volunteer agencies in the Northeast that will pay for medic school in return for a service commitment.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
It would make a lot more sense (and be less risky) to just go to a local medic program and keep your EMT job. Medic school really isn't so hard that you need to quit your day job. If it's really that tough for you, then you probably won't make a good medic anyhow (at least initially, so you won't get hired anywhere).
Plus, if you keep your job, you should easily be able to move up to medic once you finish school, rather than applying to a new company as someone who is currently unemployed.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Consider going part time or prn