Quitting an EMS Job

ATFDFF

Forum Crew Member
Hello, everyone.

I'm a longtime lurker but this is one of my first posts.

Necessary background: NRP/CCP-C with 3.5 years of ALS experience. Currently work full time for a respected, middle-to-large city EMS service. I have held a PRN position on a critical care transport team for ten months. My goal is to (eventually, perhaps around my five year mark as a Paramedic) begin to do critical care transport full time.

So my dilemma is this: My per diem position, while it has afforded me many great learning opportunities and experience, is a less than stellar place of employment for a couple of reasons. The reasons are not worth getting into here as I think it would be unprofessional to air the dirty laundry for no real reason. I've been trying to deal with these issues and find ways to turn them into a positive (or at least be able to tolerate them), but I'm growing progressively less successful in that venture. We have lost a large number of our Medics lately, all due to similar reasons.

If I were to resign this position, how does that look to future employers (particularly as I look for more Critical Care positions)? I will be leaving on good terms with no discipline or corrective actions in my record whatsoever. If asked about it during an interview I have a number of accurate (but politically correct) reasons I can give for the resignation.

Thank you all so much in advance!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
It's your per-diem job that you want to leave -- not your full-time job? If so, that shouldn't be an issue. If you're ever asked by a prospective employer why you left, just don't go into all the negatives.

ThadeusJ

Forum Lieutenant
From experience, I would recommend the "Tarzan" approach and don't let go of the rope until you already have a firm grasp on the next one...its better to be left swinging than falling to your demise. Also, I would stay in the role as a part-timer/per diem even if your next role is in management or some other non-clinical role. I left the patient care side and found that access back in was very hard once you let go (but that's for future endeavours).

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
It's a perdiem job..... you still have your PT job. I have per diem jobs from my past that don't even appear on my resume, and several of them were less than stellar places of employment. Quit, get fired, lose interest, move on to better things, who cares, it was once a month; as long as your FT employment is solid, you should be fine when it comes to your employment consistency. If someone asks why did you leave, just say it was part time only and you wanted to work for a different system on yoru days off.

The only area of concern I would have is if you plan on using that experience to get you your next position. IE, if you are looking to do CCT, and your FT job doesn't involve CCT, than it will look much better for you to list your CCT medic job on your resume, at least when your next CCT hiring manager looks at your application.

Also, some places will tell HR they want 1 years of CCT experience, as a requirement, before they will pass your resume and application onto the hiring manager. Can you hold out another 2 months, and maybe just cut down your hours to the bare minimum?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
All excellent advice, OP. Take it from a guy who once walked off of an EMS job, what they’re saying is sound advice.

Also, what are your end goals with your CCP-C aside from CCT medic? Are you trying to go for a flight position? RN? PA? This I’m merely curious about.

OP
OP
A

ATFDFF

Forum Crew Member
It's a perdiem job..... you still have your PT job. I have per diem jobs from my past that don't even appear on my resume, and several of them were less than stellar places of employment. Quit, get fired, lose interest, move on to better things, who cares, it was once a month; as long as your FT employment is solid, you should be fine when it comes to your employment consistency. If someone asks why did you leave, just say it was part time only and you wanted to work for a different system on yoru days off.

The only area of concern I would have is if you plan on using that experience to get you your next position. IE, if you are looking to do CCT, and your FT job doesn't involve CCT, than it will look much better for you to list your CCT medic job on your resume, at least when your next CCT hiring manager looks at your application.

Also, some places will tell HR they want 1 years of CCT experience, as a requirement, before they will pass your resume and application onto the hiring manager. Can you hold out another 2 months, and maybe just cut down your hours to the bare minimum?

Your last few sentences there were where my train of thought was heading. I truly have learned a lot from this job and I do think that is something I would like to at least broach during future interviews.

I have never really thought about the one year point....I do think that would probably be a good mark to reach.

OP
OP
A

ATFDFF

Forum Crew Member
All excellent advice, OP. Take it from a guy who once walked off of an EMS job, what they’re saying is sound advice.

Also, what are your end goals with your CCP-C aside from CCT medic? Are you trying to go for a flight position? RN? PA? This I’m merely curious about.

I agree, the insight has been very helpful. Thank you, sir.

In regards to my future....I’m not entirely sure. I want to do EMS (in one form or another) for the foreseeable future. It’s been a passion of mine since I was 14 years old. I’m single and live alone, so the money (especially with two jobs and overtime) is more than enough to give me a very comfortable lifestyle.

I do that if/when I go back to school it would be for a PA-C program. I have my B.S. so it would only require retaking my sciences (I am already 4 years post-grad) and sitting for the GRE. Nothing IN THE SLIGHTEST against nurses at all, but if I’m going to go back to school for 2-3 years, I may as well get my PA and not RN.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I agree, the insight has been very helpful. Thank you, sir.

In regards to my future....I’m not entirely sure. I want to do EMS (in one form or another) for the foreseeable future. It’s been a passion of mine since I was 14 years old. I’m single and live alone, so the money (especially with two jobs and overtime) is more than enough to give me a very comfortable lifestyle.

I do that if/when I go back to school it would be for a PA-C program. I have my B.S. so it would only require retaking my sciences (I am already 4 years post-grad) and sitting for the GRE. Nothing IN THE SLIGHTEST against nurses at all, but if I’m going to go back to school for 2-3 years, I may as well get my PA and not RN.

Sounds like you're smart enough to figure this one out.

You'll be alright.