Questions for FF/EMTs

johnnyreb132

Forum Crew Member
I know that this is not a firefighter forum, but I haven't found any firefighter forums that are of the same...quality :p. Anyway, I'm hopefully going to go to the fire academy next summer or take an EMT I/99 course. My big question is how did y'all handle or prepare for the ladder climb? I personally think that I would freeze going half-way up the +-80 foot climb with only two railings beside me and my math component of that height without supports directly under it. Secondly, would professional Fire Departments (joint-EMS in most counties in VA) or EMS services be willing to adjust your shifts around when you have college courses, such as 12 hour shifts from 1800-0600 and +48 hour shifts on weekends?

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
i've never worked for a company or even heard of a company that would work around your school schedule(that doesn't mean they won't for sure). more than likely you'll have to work your school schedule around your work schedule.

right now if i have school on a day i work, i usually do a swift swap with someone so i still get my hours and i don't have to miss school. its not very hard to find people that are willing to pick up some extra shifts

JPINFV

Gadfly
Depending on the service, single service EMS might work around your schedule. If you're going to school full time, then I'm going to advise against working overnights (especially if it means getting out of work and going straight to school) and 48 hours on the weekends. No matter what your work experience may be, nothing will make up if you screw the pooch in college.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Here in ABQ FD would NOT work around school schedule. The private EMS companies would if you had over a year with them, if not you were SOL

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain
I know that this is not a firefighter forum, but I haven't found any firefighter forums that are of the same...quality :p. Anyway, I'm hopefully going to go to the fire academy next summer or take an EMT I/99 course. My big question is how did y'all handle or prepare for the ladder climb? I personally think that I would freeze going half-way up the +-80 foot climb with only two railings beside me and my math component of that height without supports directly under it. Secondly, would professional Fire Departments (joint-EMS in most counties in VA) or EMS services be willing to adjust your shifts around when you have college courses, such as 12 hour shifts from 1800-0600 and +48 hour shifts on weekends?

Depends on the angency, some will work around your time frame, others will ask how bad do you want it. Mainly you will find that you are not the first person that has had this going in, and chiefs are pretty wise when it comes to higher education. (been around the block lol). As for ladder climb, it was fun, hook your legs half way up and lean all the way back, while looking at your crew holding it. It is a a thrill, I was lucky and had my best friend of 17yrs there with me, we also kept saying the Lord's prayer all the way up.

MRE

Forum Captain
My big question is how did y'all handle or prepare for the ladder climb? I personally think that I would freeze going half-way up the +-80 foot climb with only two railings beside me and my math component of that height without supports directly under it.

A question for you would be; have you had problems with heights before, or ladders of any size? If not, then I wouldn't worry too much. Climbing an aerial isn't as bad as most people think. Keep both hands on the rails, mind where you put your feet and keep going. If the top isn't seated against the building it will bounce a bit, but not that much.

You will also build up to the aerial climb. Start out working in turnouts and SCBA, throwing and climbing ground ladders in turnouts, then with SCBA, and then you will do the aerial climb. It won't be on your first day. You will at least have an idea if you are going to have a problem before you get to the aerial.

As far as adjusting shifts, you would have to talk to the dept. I would guess that most would not want to do it, but you should at least ask.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
You will also build up to the aerial climb. Start out working in turnouts and SCBA, throwing and climbing ground ladders in turnouts, then with SCBA, and then you will do the aerial climb. It won't be on your first day. You will at least have an idea if you are going to have a problem before you get to the aerial.
Want to bet? It's pretty standard for most places to include either an aerial climb in their entry physical, or at the very beginning of an academy. What's the point in bringing someone on if they have a severe fear of heights that can't be fixed?

MRE

Forum Captain
Want to bet? It's pretty standard for most places to include either an aerial climb in their entry physical, or at the very beginning of an academy. What's the point in bringing someone on if they have a severe fear of heights that can't be fixed?

I guess they do things differently in the NW. Did you do RIT before learning to don SCBA? Seriously though, I would think they would want to be sure to teach you how to climb a ladder, locking heels and maintaining 3 points of contact and such before putting somebody 70ft in the air who might have never seen a ladder or climbed in turnouts before. Just seems like common sense.

Lets here from other people. Did you do an aerial climb before ground ladders and other activities?

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I guess they do things differently in the NW. Did you do RIT before learning to don SCBA? Seriously though, I would think they would want to be sure to teach you how to climb a ladder, locking heels and maintaining 3 points of contact and such before putting somebody 70ft in the air who might have never seen a ladder or climbed in turnouts before. Just seems like common sense.

Lets here from other people. Did you do an aerial climb before ground ladders and other activities?
Oh please. There is a reason that a safety harness was invented and used during the physical...people getting killed/maimed doesn't do much for a dept. ;)

Regardless, it does bring up the point that each dept will often do things differently, as far as their training standards and practices are concerned. Best answer for the OP is to find out what the standard is for wherever he plans on going. Some places may be comfortable in accepting people who are incapable of meeting the basic requirements their job initially with the hope that that failing can be (and often is) correctable. Others may view it as enough of a failure that it's not forgivable. A fear of heights can be a pretty severe phobia and, unfortunately, it's not always that easy to get past. Hence why climbing an aerial is often an early task. And one that is soooo hard too...:blink:

VFFforpeople

Forum Captain

It was the last month for us, on the ladder. We drilled and it brought one to the point they were so built up, you would not fail. If one person didn't do it, you felt like you failed your brothers and sisters..and you cleaned out your locker and that was it. I think that is the best way to get someone up the ladder.

MRE

Forum Captain
Oh please. There is a reason that a safety harness was invented and used during the physical...people getting killed/maimed doesn't do much for a dept. ;)

Well thats actually a good point. We didn't use harnesses climbing the aerial, but we learned how to climb before we did. We were using a straight stick and they kept the ladder off the roof by about a foot so it would bounce a bit when we were on it.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Well thats actually a good point. We didn't use harnesses climbing the aerial, but we learned how to climb before we did. We were using a straight stick and they kept the ladder off the roof by about a foot so it would bounce a bit when we were on it.
Like I said, requirements will vary; for instance it's quite common for the ladder to be placed at an ~80 degree angle or a bit higher. Put it another way. You know why an entry physical agility test is done, right? To ensure that everyone has the minimum physical attributes to function. For some places, being able to climb a ladder, a task that is not rocket science or physically demanding is part of that. Others may not include it in the entry test, but it may be in the annual physical which, if both are used, is damn near always much harder than the entry; sad reflection of the world we live in. For places like that, the requirements of the annual are gone over almost immedietly after starting; that way if a problem is recognized there is at least the possibility of correcting it.

Much better than leaving something that many people are afraid of until the end and then tossing them out on their rear when they can't accomplish it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
In NoVa, no dept that I know of will change your schedule for classes. Have you thought of taking a job as an ER Tech? You're already qualified as an EMT-B. It should allow you to schedule around school, and you won't be subject to late jobs, as on the bus. Whwn I went through the academy at Fairfax, we climbed a 110ft straight stick at an 85 degree angle. We were given a harness. You hook in about halfway up, let the person coming down pass you, and you'll hook in again at the top, and lean back. You'll build up to this during ladder evolutions, which include climbing a 35ft ladder, taking a leg lock, and throwing a roof ladder. The stick will be way more stable than an extension ladder, and has grip tape on the rungs. Having rails on either side of you should be a psychological boost. Your forearms will probably get a good pump on the way up. No on has ever died from this evolution, to my knowledge. It should be fine. Just get angry and charge it.

OP
OP
johnnyreb132

johnnyreb132

Forum Crew Member
Now that I think of it, as long as it doesn't involve breaking the law, only risks bodily harm, +there is a female watching, I can generally shut off the sensable portion of my brain and do anything I'm asked. B)
But otherwise I have anxiety when I go up tall, narrow, metal objects, thank you State Fair!!

My hope that departments may be willing to adjust your shifts came from Hampton Fire's website and the little blurp about schedule, http://www.hampton.gov/fire/employment/employment_info.html

Have you thought of taking a job as an ER Tech?
I don't really know what that job consists of is my problem there

MRE

Forum Captain
For places like that, the requirements of the annual are gone over almost immedietly after starting; that way if a problem is recognized there is at least the possibility of correcting it.

Much better than leaving something that many people are afraid of until the end and then tossing them out on their rear when they can't accomplish it.

For physical agility, the ladder is a fine test. Psychologically it may be hard for people who haven't spent time on ladders or worked high off the ground, even if they are in good physical shape. This should not automatically eject someone from the class, as it may only take a little work before they can climb it no problem.

In my class we certainly didn't leave ladders until last, ground ladders were in the first quarter, and then the aerial was right after. We then revisited ladders again at the end of the class, so there was plenty of time for extra work if a student needed it.

For those climbing almost vertical, did you place the ladder on a building or just leave it freestanding?

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Now that I think of it, as long as it doesn't involve breaking the law, only risks bodily harm, +there is a female watching, I can generally shut off the sensable portion of my brain and do anything I'm asked. B)
But otherwise I have anxiety when I go up tall, narrow, metal objects, thank you State Fair!!

My hope that departments may be willing to adjust your shifts came from Hampton Fire's website and the little blurp about schedule, http://www.hampton.gov/fire/employment/employment_info.html

I don't really know what that job consists of is my problem there

If you can get your EMT-P, you can earn about $60,000+ with incentives as a firemedic in NoVa. An ER Tech hooks up ECG's, stocks supplies, basic nursing support. It should pay about 12-16/hr. You're qualified having your EMT-B. Some hospitals hire medics for the positions for about 14-20/hr.

Foxbat

Forum Captain
I personally found climbing 36' extension ladder more frightening than 100' aerial. Not that either of them was really scary, but if you have to compare...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The Army has done studies for it's airborne troops, and found that 35ft is the mental barrier. If you can jump off a platform (hooked up to a harness) at 35 feet, you can jump out of a plane at 35,000ft.