Questions about relocating to NYC

nnemtp

Forum Ride Along
Hi everyone! I’m moving to New York City in July and I would need some advice about finding a medic job there.
So I graduated from medic school and got my NREMT-P in 2017 and has been a 911 medic for one year. My wife and I decided to move to NYC, so I already obtained my NYS EMT-P card, but still studying for the REMAC and will challenge it once I get there.

I’m hoping to work for a service that runs 911 calls. I know that except NYFD some hospital-based and private services runs 911 calls, but not certainly sure which one really does. I wonder if you could kindly name a few for me. And I really need some advice or recommendations about which one is good to start out with, or frankly which service has the most ideal pay, shifts and OTs to make a living in NYC.

Another question is, my AHA ACLS and PALS expires in September, do I have to maintain the “AHA” certs to get a job in NYC. Or things like "https://www.aclsmedicaltraining.com/new-york-acls-pals-bls/" would be okay. Does companies over there cares a lot about whether if it's AHA a lot?

Thank you so much for your time and help, I really appreciate it!

!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
First off, read this post: https://emtlife.com/threads/new-york-ambulance-system-how-does-it-work.47713/#post-675688

That thread should give you a little bit of understanding to how FDNY EMS works.

FDNY EMS is all civil service. There is an entire thread about it. Many of the hospital based EMS services are part of the voluntary system. better pay, 12 hour shifts vs 8 hours at fdny, but city pension is better. hard to get into without NYC experience or a hook on the inside, or so I am told, but not impossible. And there are privates that are in the system too. You can check the NYC REMAC website for a list of agencies, but I can't help you more than that; your likely going to have to make some phone calls.. I'd take any job you can just to get yourself settled; then look to jump to a better service. But that's just me.

Or cross the hudson and get paid more to work as a medic in NJ, like many former NYC medics have done....

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
If you have trouble getting an NYC job, Jersey City Medical Center right over the river is usually hiring (and pays pretty decently).

As for the voluntaries, there are quite a few. Off the top of my head, North Shore, Lenox Hill, NY Presbyterian and Mount Sinai operate in Manhattan but I'm sure I'm forgetting some (NYU has a service but idk if they have 911 units in Manhattan or not). There are a bunch more in the outer boroughs--somewhere online there's a list of all the currently licensed ones but I can't find it right now. Services that are not hospital based like Hunter and GEMS do not run 911s, though they will do nursing home emergent calls if that floats your boat.