Questions about paramedic experience and jobs.

Righteous

Forum Probie
Hello, instead of multi-posting I'll just ask a bunch of questions here. Feel free to answer all or some.

I've been an EMT-I in at a busy 911 center for approximately 5.5 years. I finally got my medic! All 150 questions $@#$%.

Anyways, I was was fired from my job and can never return. Too many tardies. I've learned my lesson (being unemployed for 2 months will do that)

That being said , some general employment questions and some questions about advancing in my field.

1. What am I supposed to say on applications? My policy is brutal honesty because I'm not smart enough to be a liar and I generally feel bad when I do it. This is my first time being unemployed since entering the work force some 12 years ago. I've been going with "too many tardies" on my applications but things want me to go in depth and what not.

What do employers think when they read that? Suggestions?

2. I thought I might as well get my critical care transport cert...( FP-C correct?) I've been told by many sources that there is no practical portion to the test. So...while I have no doubt in my ability to get this certification, I would like to know how to use a vent/iv pump/ whatever else is required in that field.

What kind of jobs can I look at to get that kind of experience. Keep in mind I have 5 years as an EMT-I (where I teched the majority of our calls) but nothing as a paramedic. Do they do apprenticeship programs where I could work for less/ no pay and get some experience? I'd like more than a piece of paper telling someone I passed a test.

3. Recommend any other certs/skills I should obtain that will be useful?

4. Wtf are "epinephrine serum levels" and how do they correlate to glucose levels?

5. Where are some good/cool places to work? Places with advanced/ progressive ems. Places that take our profession seriously and are currently hiring.

6. I saw that Kingston Med 1 is hiring. They also have advanced protocols. I'm read on their site that you must go through their 10 month program regardless of title/ experience/ or certs. I can stomach the additional school but does anyone know how competitive it is over there? I heard theres only 4 slots open and I have to travel a great distance just to test for a chance.

7. Rural areas. I've only had experience running calls where are longest transport time was a mere 30 minutes. The average was 15. Does everyone need to do a round of rural medic-ing to become stronger? You guys recommend it?

8. Oil rigs and...other industrial work. I heard the pay is good. I'm fresh out of medic school. Is employment in this field a possibility at this moment of time or a pipe dream?

9. Insert any other general advice here.

10. What jobsites do you recommend for Paramedic work besides indeed.com, monster, craigslist.....I miss anything?

Thanks guys.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
1. What am I supposed to say on applications? My policy is brutal honesty because I'm not smart enough to be a liar and I generally feel bad when I do it. This is my first time being unemployed since entering the work force some 12 years ago. I've been going with "too many tardies" on my applications but things want me to go in depth and what not.

That is indeed a bit of a pickle that you've gotten yourself into. I personally think that you have an ethical obligation - both as an individual and as a professional - to be honest, even if you think you'd be better off by (and could get away with) being misleading. Plus it makes life less complicated for you in the long run.

Unfortunately, there are some employers who won't even consider your application once they see that you were fired from your most recent job for tardiness, and honestly, you can't blame them a bit. Fortunately though, there are also lots of employers who probably wouldn't mind giving you a chance as long as they like you and your background otherwise. Expect to have to settle for a position at a less-competitive service for your first job. Build some paramedic experience and a good work record for a year or two, and then look around again.

What I would do is write a one-page letter explaining why you were fired from your previous position, that you take full responsibility for it and that you understand that chronic tardiness/absenteeism is unprofessional and disrespectful to your co-workers and employer, and that you are hoping to start a new chapter in your career with your paramedic certification, striving for a higher level of professionalism than you displayed before. Make sure it is well-worded and very professional-appearing. Attach it to each application and in the section of the application where it asks for an explanation of being fired previously, write "please see attached letter".

2. I thought I might as well get my critical care transport cert...( FP-C correct?) I've been told by many sources that there is no practical portion to the test. So...while I have no doubt in my ability to get this certification, I would like to know how to use a vent/iv pump/ whatever else is required in that field.

Opinions vary on this. These certs (FP-C and CCP-C) are intended for those already working in the CCT or HEMS environment. However, experience isn't required to take the exams, and many people do take them without the recommended experience.

These exams are just that - exams. They won't teach you how to operate a vent or pump or anything else. They test you on it, assuming that you already have the experience.

I think if you are doing it strictly as a learning / professional development exercise and you display it as such on your resume, and you don't brag about it and find a way to mention it during every conversation, it's fine. But if you start wearing a name tag that says "Critical Care Paramedic" even though you've never done critical care, or start using "FP-C" after your name every time your sign something even though you've never even seen the inside of a helicopter, people will be able to tell and you'll look like a poser who doesn't respect the experience of those who've actually been there / done that.

In all honesty, you have never even worked a day as a paramedic, and you might have some challenge finding a job. I'd just focus on that for now.

What kind of jobs can I look at to get that kind of experience. Keep in mind I have 5 years as an EMT-I (where I teched the majority of our calls) but nothing as a paramedic. Do they do apprenticeship programs where I could work for less/ no pay and get some experience? I'd like more than a piece of paper telling someone I passed a test.

Any decent place is going to have a precepted orientation period for a new paramedic. Don't worry about it.

3. Recommend any other certs/skills I should obtain that will be useful?
Keep current with your BLS/PALS/ACLS cards. Otherwise, no - not at this point.

4. Wtf are "epinephrine serum levels" and how do they correlate to glucose levels?
Serum is the "liquid part" of the blood.

Serum levels = the blood concentration of a drug. It simply describes "how much drug" is in circulation. It's a key part of any equation that relates to such basic pharmacologic concepts as bioavailability, volume of distribution, or clearance.

Increased epi = increased glucose. Part of the SNS response.

7. Rural areas. I've only had experience running calls where are longest transport time was a mere 30 minutes. The average was 15. Does everyone need to do a round of rural medic-ing to become stronger? You guys recommend it?
I don't think so. Rural and urban have different challenges; neither is "better" or "harder" than the other. A good paramedic from one environment will be able to quickly adapt to the other environment.

Unless you are really rural, I don't think there really is even that much difference other than perhaps call volume.

6. I saw that Kingston 1 is hiring. They also have advanced protocols. I'm read on their site that you must go through their 10 month program regardless of title/ experience/ or certs. I can stomach the additional school but does anyone know how competitive it is over there? I heard theres only 4 slots open and I have to travel a great distance just to test for a chance.

8. Oil rigs and...other industrial work. I heard the pay is good. I'm fresh out of medic school. Is employment in this field a possibility at this moment of time or a pipe dream?

Where are some good/cool places to work? Places with advanced/ progressive ems. Places that take our profession seriously and are currently hiring.

There are folks on this forum who work in all areas of EMS from all over the country and overseas. Many of them can give you much better advice on this stuff than I can.

9. Insert any other general advice here.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Excellent post by Remi.

I just want to add that I Googled epinephrine blood serum level.

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/catecholamines-in-blood

The link made it seem they don't really care about epinephrine blood serum, but rather are looking for metanephrine serum level to help diagnose pheochromocytoma. I am curious if these things are measured for Cushing's disease and Addison's disease/adrenal insufficiency, or if they really care about hydrocortisone/cortisol. I'm not sure if all of the adrenal gland or just the cortex is effected in those diseases.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'll just address this part:

I saw that Kingston Med 1 is hiring. They also have advanced protocols. I'm read on their site that you must go through their 10 month program regardless of title/ experience/ or certs. I can stomach the additional school but does anyone know how competitive it is over there? I heard theres only 4 slots open and I have to travel a great distance just to test for a chance.

King County Medic One is hiring, and their protocols are really no more advanced that any other progressive service. You must attend the Harborview/UW Paramedic program to be employed as a paramedic in King County, regardless of any past paramedic experience. The good news is, they pay you while you're in school. You're hired as a paramedic candidate. The bad news is, it's EXTREMELY competitive. People test year after year for one of those coveted spots. However, if you're interested in working for that system, test. The worst that happens is you get a nice Seattle area vacation. I'd think your recent termination would be a big black mark during the Medic One hiring process.

As @Remi suggested, get a job where ever you can right now, concentrate on becoming a good paramedic and then, in a few years, start looking for that amazing job.

OP
OP
R

Righteous

Forum Probie
Mission accomplished. Jail, rural metro, and a major children's hospital. Guess whos early to work everyday? I'm grateful....but my precious, precious free time. :(

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Anyways, I was was fired from my job and can never return. Too many tardies. I've learned my lesson (being unemployed for 2 months will do that)

That being said , some general employment questions and some questions about advancing in my field.

What do employers think when they read that? Suggestions?
after 5 1/2 years at a 911 job, you are fired just for too many tardies? damn, that sucks. especially since it was just after you earned you paramedic cert.

If you put "too many tardies" on your application, you won't get a single call back. if you were fired from your last job for tardies, you will probably be late a lot at the new job.

my opinion, and others will disagree, but I wouldn't give the reason. if anyone asks why you aren't at your old job, just say "after 5 years, I needed a change, and wanted to work in a different area." get some of your former coworkers or supervisors to be positive references. and stop being excessively tardy to work.
10. What jobsites do you recommend for Paramedic work besides indeed.com, monster, craigslist.....I miss anything?
if you find an agency you like, apply directly to that site. some states maintain statewide ems job listings. I'll be honest, only the sketchiest companies post jobs on craigslist; monster and indeed are a little better since they mine agencies job postings, but it's always best to apply directly to an agency. how to you find if they are hiring? go to the agency website and search for employment, or call them during normal business hours.

Angel

Paramedic
im with parasite...could always use the excuse, youre a medic now and want THAT...but seriously. being late, especially since 99% of the time its in your control, is not a good trait to have, professionally or personally as your are now finding out.

OP
OP
R

Righteous

Forum Probie
I got a job in the infirmary at the jail. Wound care, first response. You know their primary question to me? "Can you intubate?"

YES I CAN!

Some resumes will ask if you have been asked to resign/were terminated and if so why? I didn't see any way around it without blatantly lying. Im sure theres some clever way to do it.

So I literally kept it as concise as possible.

Why did you leave your last Job? "Terminated"
Why were you asked to resign/ why were you terminated? "Tardies"

You know the funniest part? My previous service paid for my entire medic. Classes, books, Class T-shirts. I completed the program and lost my job one month after.
The only thing they wanted in return was 1 year of service. Getting fired nullified the contract and freed me up to go other places.

I am very grateful to my former employer and especially my teachers.

So far I've had the 3 interviews and have 4 more to go to.

When asked why I'm no longer with my former service, I just own up to it. I tell em I'm not late to anything anymore.

And in fact its true. I have been early to every place I'm supposed to be since.

DrParasite

Some resumes will ask if you have been asked to resign/were terminated and if so why? I didn't see any way around it without blatantly lying. Im sure theres some clever way to do it.

So I literally kept it as concise as possible.

Why did you leave your last Job? "Terminated"
Why were you asked to resign/ why were you terminated? "Tardies"
yes, this is true....... however, there is no way for them to verify why you were let go. So if they ask why you left your last job, you can reply "wanted to work for a bigger/smaller agency" or "personal" or "wanted to work for an agency that had more career growth potential." You were there for 5 years.... that's a career in some areas of EMS lol. Especially if you have a positive reference from a former supervisor or senior paramedic at that agency.

If you want to mention it in the interview, that's your decision; I know of EMS agencies that won't even interview a person who has ever been terminated from a job, esp due to attendance issues. So you won't even make it to the interview stage if you say you were terminated for tardiness.

While honesty is typically the best policy, sometimes being too honest will get potential employers to not thing you are even worth giving a second glance at, especially if you have worked hard to change your habits and are no longer tardy.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
yes, this is true....... however, there is no way for them to verify why you were let go. So if they ask why you left your last job, you can reply "wanted to work for a bigger/smaller agency" or "personal" or "wanted to work for an agency that had more career growth potential."

What on earth do you mean there is no way for them to verify why he was let go?

If I got an application from someone who left his previous employer immediately after finishing paramedic school - without ever even working a day as a paramedic - and now hasn't worked anywhere in several months - it would raise all sorts of red flags, and you can bet I'd be calling the previous agency directly rather than the applicant's handpicked references.

This is the second time on this site in just a couple weeks that people have advocated and rationalized lying to potential employers. It's a little disheartening.

DrParasite

What on earth do you mean there is no way for them to verify why he was let go?

If I got an application from someone who left his previous employer immediately after finishing paramedic school - without ever even working a day as a paramedic - and now hasn't worked anywhere in several months - it would raise all sorts of red flags, and you can bet I'd be calling the previous agency directly rather than the applicant's handpicked references.

This is the second time on this site in just a couple weeks that people have advocated and rationalized lying to potential employers. It's a little disheartening.
Ok, I mispoke: I should have said it is very difficult to verify why you were let go. The vast majority of employers will give start dates, end dates, salary job title, and if you are eligible for rehire. Legally, if your former employer tells a new employer that you were fired for excessive tardies, you can sue them for defamation and for preventing you from obtaining future employment. As a result, most places won't even risk the lawsuit, and won't list why you are no longer employed there.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/applicant-faqs/fl/can-an-employer-say-you-were-fired.htm
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/free-books/employee-rights-book/chapter9-6.html
http://employment-law.freeadvice.com/employment-law/hiring/employer_references.htm

I know of several people at my former employer that worked EMS, got their paramedic cert, and then left where they were working to work as a paramedic in another state. Maybe they wanted to work for Wake EMS, Kings County Medic 1, Austin/Travis EMS, or another "well known, greatest system to work for" system that their current job isn't. I would agree that not working for several months raises red flags, however, it is a well documented fact that it's easier to get a job when employed than getting a job while unemployed.

it's very easy to say lying to a potential employee is bad when you have a job, an income, and aren't worried about how you are going to pay the rent next month..... I would sleep well knowing an employer didn't throw out my resume because I was fired from a previous job, gave me an interview, and offered me a way to feed my family.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Ok, I mispoke: I should have said it is very difficult to verify why you were let go. The vast majority of employers will give start dates, end dates, salary job title, and if you are eligible for rehire. Legally, if your former employer tells a new employer that you were fired for excessive tardies, you can sue them for defamation and for preventing you from obtaining future employment. As a result, most places won't even risk the lawsuit, and won't list why you are no longer employed there.

By definition, defamation only exists when you say something about someone that is untrue. Honestly answering direct questions about the circumstances of a former employee's departure is not defamation, and is highly unlikely to result in legal action, save for perhaps a few states that specifically limit what information an employer can transmit about a former employee. Even if an employer did verbally defame a former employee, it would be nearly impossible to prove that.

From the links you posted:

When you leave a job or are fired, your previous employer may generally disclose any information about your past performance as long as the information is true. For example, if you were terminated from your job for stealing or as a result of poor performance, your employer may share these details with prospective employers. Your previous employer cannot, however, make statements that are false or defamatory. If this happens, you may be able to file a lawsuit for defamation of character.

The federal government has no laws restricting a previous employer from providing true information about a former employee. In fact, some states have passed laws that protect the employer. For instance, North Carolina law grants immunity from civil liability to employers who reveal information about either current or former employees. This immunity protects the previous employer unless the employee can prove by a preponderance of the evidence that the employer knowingly provided false information or information that he or she should have known was false.

http://employment-law.freeadvice.com/employment-law/hiring/employer_references.htm

If you're applying for new jobs after a termination, you may be wondering whether or not a previous employer can say that you were fired. The fact of the matter is that, in most cases, employer's aren't legally prohibited from telling another employer that you were terminated, laid off, or let go. They can even state the reasons as to why you lost your job.

If an employer falsely states that you were fired or cites an incorrect reason for a termination that is damaging to your reputation, then you could sue for defamation. However, the burden of proof would fall on you as the plaintiff to prove that the information shared by your past employer was false and damaging in order to win the case. In most cases, the hassle of the court process and the surrounding legal fees aren't worth it.

http://jobsearch.about.com/od/applicant-faqs/fl/can-an-employer-say-you-were-fired.htm

Despite the difficulty in proving defamation, it is true that many employers will only give limited information such as employment dates and salary. However, I think it's a real stretch to say that a "vast majority" will only provide that information.

First, many employers whose official policy is to only give that limited information will still honestly answer questions about the former employee off the record. If a former employer sends a reference form to a prospective employer that lists employment dates and salary and says that they can provide no other information, but on the phone answers honestly when asked whether the employee left voluntarily, there's no way at all that you can even know that, never mind counter it. Secondly, things like chronic lateness or absenteeism are objectively verifiable. So an employer may provide information about the reason for termination if the reason can be easily demonstrated (through things like attendance or counseling records or patient complaints), even if they won't provide information on more subjective and harder-to-prove things like a bad attitude or poor communication. Then there are those employers who will tell you all sorts of positive things about former employees who left on good terms......so when they all of a sudden clam up and only give employment dates for a given employee, it's taken as a bad sign. Lastly, some employers won't give any information at all on reasons why an employee was fired, but will say whether an employee was terminated or left voluntarily. That way they can't possibly be accused of defamation since they didn't say anything negative about you or your performance, but the prospective employer's imagination is left to run wild. If all else fails, the simple "not eligible for rehire" can be as damaging as anything else.

The point is there is lots of grey area, lots of ways that a previous employer can communicate whatever information they want unofficially, and plenty of room for deniability. So I wouldn't count on a former employers fear of being sued to protect you when you choose to lie to a prospective employer.

it's very easy to say lying to a potential employee is bad when you have a job, an income, and aren't worried about how you are going to pay the rent next month.....

Yeah, doing the right thing often is hard, isn't it? I guess that's why so many people simply choose not to.

I guess I'm just old-fashioned and judgmental, still believing that people should be honest and value their own integrity and all that hokey stuff.

DrParasite

I guess you missed these statements from the links that were shared:
most employers will provide only minimal information, such as the dates you were hired, the title of your position, and the date you left the company. A previous employer usually prefers to err on the side of caution in order to avoid potential defamation claims.
Read more: http://employment-law.freeadvice.com/employment-law/hiring/employer_references.htm#ixzz3V3SEJ8mO
and
What Information Employers Typically Share

Fortunately, most employers will be very cautious about sharing any information that might be harmful to a former worker for fear of attracting a lawsuit. Many organizations will limit their staff to providing only dates of employment and job titles when inquiries are made about past employees. from http://jobsearch.about.com/od/applicant-faqs/fl/can-an-employer-say-you-were-fired.htm
that's the point... also the reason you can give out the HR number for your company, instead of the head of the agency.
I guess I'm just old-fashioned and judgmental, still believing that people should be honest and value their own integrity and all that hokey stuff.
OK, I'll take the bait on this one..... if you were reviewing applications, would you interview someone who was honest about being fired from a company for excessive tardies? or would you throw it in the trash and pick up an application of a person who wasn't? Or even better, would you interview 1 person who has been out of work for 2+ months after being terminated with cause from a 911 agency, or would you interview the 10 other people who are currently working for 911 agencies and are just looking for a better place to work?

and lastly, lets say you get fired tomorrow.... and no one will hire you because you were fired.... how long would your integrity last when you can't get an interview because you were fired (with cause), and when would you consider omitting the fact that you were fired on your job application?

The OP will do what he wants; after all, being honest and truthful has resulted in him being in jail.... maybe it's time for another approach?

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
OK, I'll take the bait on this one..... if you were reviewing applications, would you interview someone who was honest about being fired from a company for excessive tardies? or would you throw it in the trash and pick up an application of a person who wasn't? Or even better, would you interview 1 person who has been out of work for 2+ months after being terminated with cause from a 911 agency, or would you interview the 10 other people who are currently working for 911 agencies and are just looking for a better place to work?

I don't know if I would interview them or not. It would depend on several factors. But I can tell you that I would be a HECK of a lot more likely to interview someone who admitted being fired and attached a professional, sincere letter explaining the circumstances (or did so face to face), than I would hiring someone who I didn't know for sure had been fired, but seemed evasive in their application and in the way they answered certain questions.

Even if someone doesn't admit to being fired, and even if their previous employer won't say that, there are usually signs that something went wrong, like a gap in employment where they left their previous employer before finding another job. If I had any doubt I would contact their previous manager - not the HR person. If I still had any doubt after that, the application would DEFINITELY end up in the trash.

It's a classic case of owning up to your mistakes and accepting the consequences of your choices vs. abusing the faith of others to find the easier way out of the tough spot that you got yourself into.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I have more advanced protocols than KCM1.