Questions about EMT-B timeline.

ChewyEMS13

Forum Crew Member
Hey, y'all. I'm a new guy on here, just created an account. I've been cycling through the threads and wanted to start an account. Great site, I love it.

Now that pleasantries are out of the way, I have a question in of itself has a couple questions:

I am starting my EMT-B class on Thursday (1-25-18) and was wondering about the timeline from the end of the class to (roughly) when I'm able to start applying for jobs. I'm unhappy with my current job for a mix of reasons and was wondering... 1) how long after class has ended that I'm able to take the NREMT... 2) (assuming I pass on the first go-round) how long until the certs get to me (CA)... 3) how long does California generally take in sending licensure documents and finally... 4) how long does the average company take in the hiring process?

A little background - I am 20 years old and graduated High School with a 4.2 GPA (I feel very confident that I will do well in my class and the NREMT due to a very hard academic work ethic). I'm nervous that I won't get a job right away, and would appreciate anything that anyone with any experience in EMS has to say about this. I'm in the San Joaquin/Stanislaus area. I am not opposed to any type of EMS jobs. I know that I can always make an upwards move from where I am.

Sorry for the long post, I hope y'all take the time to help a guy like me out. I very much appreciate what y'all do in EMS. Very underappreciated people in my humble opinion. Thank you!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Hey, y'all. I'm a new guy on here, just created an account. I've been cycling through the threads and wanted to start an account. Great site, I love it.

Now that pleasantries are out of the way, I have a question in of itself has a couple questions:

I am starting my EMT-B class on Thursday (1-25-18) and was wondering about the timeline from the end of the class to (roughly) when I'm able to start applying for jobs. I'm unhappy with my current job for a mix of reasons and was wondering... 1) how long after class has ended that I'm able to take the NREMT... 2) (assuming I pass on the first go-round) how long until the certs get to me (CA)... 3) how long does California generally take in sending licensure documents and finally... 4) how long does the average company take in the hiring process?

A little background - I am 20 years old and graduated High School with a 4.2 GPA (I feel very confident that I will do well in my class and the NREMT due to a very hard academic work ethic). I'm nervous that I won't get a job right away, and would appreciate anything that anyone with any experience in EMS has to say about this. I'm in the San Joaquin/Stanislaus area. I am not opposed to any type of EMS jobs. I know that I can always make an upwards move from where I am.

Sorry for the long post, I hope y'all take the time to help a guy like me out. I very much appreciate what y'all do in EMS. Very underappreciated people in my humble opinion. Thank you!
1. Going to depend on your program and when your instructor clears you to take the test. At the college I teach for students are able to test for NREMT before they have their graduation ceremony.

2. NREMT stuff normally takes about a week or so to get your cert mailed to you but they also have an online option to print your card out so you can apply for your state license sooner (from what I have been told).

3. You have to apply for your state license through a county EMS Agency. Some will be able to print your card on the spot (usually for recerts only) while others may take a week or two.

4. Companies vary greatly. You may get a phone call or email that says orientation starts on friday and is 4 days long while others will say your orientation starts in 1 month and lasts for 1 month.

OP
OP
ChewyEMS13

ChewyEMS13

Forum Crew Member
1. Going to depend on your program and when your instructor clears you to take the test. At the college I teach for students are able to test for NREMT before they have their graduation ceremony.

2. NREMT stuff normally takes about a week or so to get your cert mailed to you but they also have an online option to print your card out so you can apply for your state license sooner (from what I have been told).

3. You have to apply for your state license through a county EMS Agency. Some will be able to print your card on the spot (usually for recerts only) while others may take a week or two.

4. Companies vary greatly. You may get a phone call or email that says orientation starts on friday and is 4 days long while others will say your orientation starts in 1 month and lasts for 1 month.

Thanks for the reply so quickly! I appreciate you taking the time. And thank you for your device

I hear you're an advocate for JBlearning! I'm very much interested in signing up ASAP. Do you have any tips for an eager beaver like myself when it comes to expectations of EMS? My cousin is a paramedic with AMR and I would like to get hired on there, but from what I hear it's a lot more difficult that it seems.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Thanks for the reply so quickly! I appreciate you taking the time. And thank you for your device

I hear you're an advocate for JBlearning! I'm very much interested in signing up ASAP. Do you have any tips for an eager beaver like myself when it comes to expectations of EMS? My cousin is a paramedic with AMR and I would like to get hired on there, but from what I hear it's a lot more difficult that it seems.
The only hard part about getting hired as an EMT with AMR is that there are a lot of EMT programs that pump out 20+ students every 16 weeks so the job market is flooded. AMR is desperate for medics so getting hired as a medic is currently extremely easy.

Focus on the information provided in class and actually read/study your EMT book. Don’t worry about NREMT until you need to take it. The best study information for the NREMT was from my EMT textbook.