Questions about 911, BLS, and ALS.

ChewyEMS13

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys. This might seem like a noob question, but that's because it is! I'm starting my EMT-B class soon, and I want to start thinking about employment. After reading through some of the threads in this forum, EMS is a lot more complex than what I had thought. Can a newly graduated EMT-B (with all his/her certs) work on a 911 ambulance? What about an ALS truck? What really is BLS, and how is it used? The company I want to be with most is only an ALS provider, so would I need additional training to work on their rig? The company is Riggs Ambulance in Merced, CA btw.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Can a newly graduated EMT-B (with all his/her certs) work on a 911 ambulance?
Yes.
What about an ALS truck?
Yes.
What really is BLS, and how is it used?
Officially? Basic Life Support, though typically used as Basic/ Bariatric Lifting Services. Wait until you start class, they’ll teach you the bookwork fundamentals of EMT.

In short, it’s a handful of skills many half arsed paramedics brush aside to brag about ALS, or Acting Like Superheroes.
The company I want to be with most is only an ALS provider, so would I need additional training to work on their rig? The company is Riggs Ambulance in Merced, CA btw.
There are a handful of threads on here that discuss just about every Central California agency from your neck of the woods (Riggs) to mine (Hall), and everything in between; keep searching.

Or, you could always call the company directly and ask them, good luck in your endeavors.

OP
OP
ChewyEMS13

ChewyEMS13

Forum Crew Member
Yes.

Yes.

Officially? Basic Life Support, though typically used as Basic/ Bariatric Lifting Services. Wait until you start class, they’ll teach you the bookwork fundamentals of EMT.

In short, it’s a handful of skills many half arsed paramedics brush aside to brag about ALS, or Acting Like Superheroes.

There are a handful of threads on here that discuss just about every Central California agency from your neck of the woods (Riggs) to mine (Hall), and everything in between; keep searching.

Or, you could always call the company directly and ask them, good luck in your endeavors.

Thanks a lot of the answers. I appreciate it. Do you have to get any extra certifications to work on an ALS truck? My end goal is paramedic, so I feel like ALS would provide a better experience for me in the future

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Do you have to get any extra certifications to work on an ALS truck?
As an EMT, not typically. As a paramedic there are at least three other certifications that go hand in hand with your license (ACLS, PALS, and PHTLS/ ITLS).

I certainly understand your enthusiasm, but it will all make more sense once you’ve completed your EMT class; your instructor(s) will also be able to answer many of your questions, so be patient:).

Just know, what you’ll be taught in class is about 5-10% of what your job will actually be. The same will hold true for you as a paramedic.

OP
OP
ChewyEMS13

ChewyEMS13

Forum Crew Member
As an EMT, not typically. As a paramedic there are at least three other certifications that go hand in hand with your license (ACLS, PALS, and PHTLS/ ITLS).

I certainly understand your enthusiasm, but it will all make more sense once you’ve completed your EMT class; your instructor(s) will also be able to answer many of your questions, so be patient:).

Just know, what you’ll be taught in class is about 5-10% of what your job will actually be. The same will hold true for you as a paramedic.

Yes sorry xD you're right, I'm just very excited. I have so much respect for first responders and especially paramedics. The fact that I'm on my way to actually be one is exhilarating to say the least

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Its mostly going to depend on your area. I'm with a municipal 911 and my cadet class was about 50/50 EMT to Medic. We're also the largest hire class in 5 years as they work to increase service.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I can't speak to your particular agency because I'm not in Ca. However in general, in my academy class, we had 16 to start. 14 medics and 2 EMTs. 4 of them didn't make it through academy for various reasons. We were in a county wide 911 system, all ALS trucks. Many are no longer working in that county, against for various reasons.

If I was you, I would direct your questions to someone who works at Riggs Ambulance. Just pick up the phone and call, it's usually the best way to get your specific questions answered.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
The answer to all of your question is....maybe. Its going to depends on your state, county, company, perhaps division within the company, and maybe even the whims of your scheduler.

Some companies have really high standards They might require xx years of service as an EMT, additional training, perhaps even current enrollment in Medic school to be assigned to an ALS truck(or everything but medic school for the BLS 911 truck, if they even have such a thing). They might go the other way and put a first day basic on an ALS truck. I've seen both and a dozen shades of grey in between.

As the senior members here are fond of saying, if you've seen one EMS system, you've seen one EMS system. Sometimes it doesn't take more than crossing the street to another service to see a whole new way of doing things, good bad or indifferent.

BLS is primarily about human transportation. While primarily BLS 911 systems exist, most 911(in my experience, not necessarily broadly applicable) is ALS or tiered. BLS is most utilized in the commercial sector for non emergent transportation of people from place to place(home, clinic, SNF, DOB, etc). I'd be willing to bet if you added up all the ambulances in service nationwide, the majority of BLS trucks would be commercial IFT trucks. My company runs 150ish ambulances. Clip the 20 or so ALS rescue trucks, a dozen ALS transfer trucks, supervisors and such and you have about a hundred BLS trucks left standing. 7 of those are dedicated B/B city trucks. Again, I don't mean to say that my organization is representative of the world, but it's a data set to get your mind turning.

As a new basic, you will most likely doing commercial BLS. If you're organization does BLS 911, you'll promote according to the rules of that company. When you're ready, if you decide to stick with it, you'll go to medic school. Once you get out of rehab from your medic school induced drug and alcohol addiction, you'll go to work as a medic in the capacity available to you at that time and place. No medic(or basic for that matter) here has walked exactly the same path from there to here, so it's very hard for us lay you out a path.

OP
OP
ChewyEMS13

ChewyEMS13

Forum Crew Member
The answer to all of your question is....maybe. Its going to depends on your state, county, company, perhaps division within the company, and maybe even the whims of your scheduler.

Some companies have really high standards They might require xx years of service as an EMT, additional training, perhaps even current enrollment in Medic school to be assigned to an ALS truck(or everything but medic school for the BLS 911 truck, if they even have such a thing). They might go the other way and put a first day basic on an ALS truck. I've seen both and a dozen shades of grey in between.

As the senior members here are fond of saying, if you've seen one EMS system, you've seen one EMS system. Sometimes it doesn't take more than crossing the street to another service to see a whole new way of doing things, good bad or indifferent.

BLS is primarily about human transportation. While primarily BLS 911 systems exist, most 911(in my experience, not necessarily broadly applicable) is ALS or tiered. BLS is most utilized in the commercial sector for non emergent transportation of people from place to place(home, clinic, SNF, DOB, etc). I'd be willing to bet if you added up all the ambulances in service nationwide, the majority of BLS trucks would be commercial IFT trucks. My company runs 150ish ambulances. Clip the 20 or so ALS rescue trucks, a dozen ALS transfer trucks, supervisors and such and you have about a hundred BLS trucks left standing. 7 of those are dedicated B/B city trucks. Again, I don't mean to say that my organization is representative of the world, but it's a data set to get your mind turning.

As a new basic, you will most likely doing commercial BLS. If you're organization does BLS 911, you'll promote according to the rules of that company. When you're ready, if you decide to stick with it, you'll go to medic school. Once you get out of rehab from your medic school induced drug and alcohol addiction, you'll go to work as a medic in the capacity available to you at that time and place. No medic(or basic for that matter) here has walked exactly the same path from there to here, so it's very hard for us lay you out a path.

Thanks for the insight! I will probably have to let the cookie crumble. Either way (IFT or 911) I know I want to become a medic, so it may just have to be a stepping stone.

Thank you for the active thread, folks. I appreciate it