Question for the firefighters

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
I was hoping some of the firefighters, present could provide some insight as to taking fire standards at night in addition to a slightly less than normal college course load during the day.
I am in paramedic school, and upon completion i only need 5 classes to get my A.S degree. Those classes are English1, English2, Intro to oral communications, Selected Topics, a humanities course and EITHER a math OR a social science course.
I am aware that Fire standards is a physically demanding course, with quizzes or tests almost every day. If anyone has any experience could you all please also provide any info on your experiences working a 24/48 shift while in school.

I apologize in advance to all who will inevitably point out this is an EMS website, not a fire site, as in my community EMS and transport services are predominantly ran by the fire service, i feel it is appropriate.

-Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

HAZMAT

Forum Probie
Where are you planning on taking your fire academy? If you are taking your academy through a department that is hosting it in house dealing with that isn't a big deal. If you are looking for more of a academy style environment I've typically seen them M-F during the day with lots of PT. When I did my fire academy it was two evenings a week for I want to say 6 months with one month being dedicated to HAZMAT. You will have to study and have the typical routine as to any other class (Homework, tests, practicals.) If I were you I would personally finish your Paramedic and go from there.

- HAZMAT

OP
OP
Lifeguards For Life

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Where are you planning on taking your fire academy? If you are taking your academy through a department that is hosting it in house dealing with that isn't a big deal. If you are looking for more of a academy style environment I've typically seen them M-F during the day with lots of PT. When I did my fire academy it was two evenings a week for I want to say 6 months with one month being dedicated to HAZMAT. You will have to study and have the typical routine as to any other class (Homework, tests, practicals.) If I were you I would personally finish your Paramedic and go from there.

- HAZMAT

I am definitively finishing medic first. I finish medic in july and standards would start about the same time 4 days a week 6p-10p as well as 8a-5p every saturday. I was thinking if i took this schedule i may be able to knock out a few gen ed courses during the day.

HAZMAT

Forum Probie
Well whatever works best with your schedule and the work load that you can handle. The fire field isn't rocket science by all means but it's definitely not the definition of easy. The best training and education for the fire service is hands on experience, keep in mind you have your NFPA standards on which to justify actions. You will have have fun just be safe keep an eye on your brothers and sisters.

- HAZMAT

OP
OP
Lifeguards For Life

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Well whatever works best with your schedule and the work load that you can handle. The fire field isn't rocket science by all means but it's definitely not the definition of easy. The best training and education for the fire service is hands on experience, keep in mind you have your NFPA standards on which to justify actions. You will have have fun just be safe keep an eye on your brothers and sisters.

- HAZMAT

thanks. that's the thing. i don't want to take on too much at once. I think it'll be doable though. i met a fellow at a CEU course, who was taking standards and medic simultaneuosly.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I am definitively finishing medic first. I finish medic in july and standards would start about the same time 4 days a week 6p-10p as well as 8a-5p every saturday. I was thinking if i took this schedule i may be able to knock out a few gen ed courses during the day.

Well, that depends on how "easy" those other classes are. If you're the kind of person who finds all the gen ed classes a piece of cake and can probably sail through them, then I'd tell you to give it a try. If not, I would strongly urge you to finish your degree requirements first, then take the next available academy course. You might also want to contact the FD training coordinator to get a syllabus of the academy to see how the sections are broken down; this might help you tailor your course load.

OP
OP
Lifeguards For Life

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Well, that depends on how "easy" those other classes are. If you're the kind of person who finds all the gen ed classes a piece of cake and can probably sail through them, then I'd tell you to give it a try. If not, I would strongly urge you to finish your degree requirements first, then take the next available academy course. You might also want to contact the FD training coordinator to get a syllabus of the academy to see how the sections are broken down; this might help you tailor your course load.

I would be taking standards at the same college i am enrolled in medic at, which also would be the site for my gen ed courses. Several FF students who were in my EMT class are currently in standards, and have mixed opinions about it. I will look into a syllabus, i had not thought of that. I didn't do overly well in high school, i had a 3.8, but barely went to class or did the homework. I did not realize that i enjoyed learning untill the first semester of paramedic school. I know that Standards/ gen ed concurrently will be a demanding semester or so, bu i think it will be doable