Question about recert.

ANJR6

Forum Ride Along
Hi there. I have quite a problematic situation and I need a little help. I earned the certification of paramedic (NREMT) in November of 2015. I wont bore you with the details, but I was offered a employment as a tech at a local hospital and I took it in hopes of workin' both as an EMT-P and ER Tech. The problem arose when I received three tickets due to speed and AMR said no. The NREMT expiration date is 03/2018 and I have no OTEP or CME credits or hours other than ACLS/ BLS/ PALS. This is my third year of my NREMT-P certification. Even if start with a volunteer department...I still have to make up my hours not to mention IV starts and Intubations. I haven't been a medic in that time.

Guys, I've really messed up royally. Time flies. I beat myself up about it even more now that time is nearly up. I'm determined to work hard to earn those edu credits and skills if it's possible.

My question is this...is my situation able to be rectified to recertify and 'keep' my medic? I reside in the state of WA. The first ticket disappears in October 2018. I would need to volunteer with a fire dept until then as other companies have the same policy around here. Thanks for your time.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You are going to run into several issues. In order to retain your NREMT cert you must be affiliated with an ALS agency. You must also get your medical director to sign off on your skill sheets that NREMT requires.

There are several online 48 hour paramedic refresher programs so there is plenty of time for that. There are no required number of IV starts or intubations for NREMT. Your medical director will be the one to say you are proficient in those skills.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Your ER Medical Director might be willing to sign your paperwork for affiliation. That's what I did when I worked as an ER Paramedic.

OP
OP
A

ANJR6

Forum Ride Along
I just wanted to thank each of you for your time. It means very much to me. You guys are awesome. I have an interview this week to volunteer for an ALS fire department.