Question about guns in EMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheJaneTrain

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone,

I am hopefully going to join the EMS force in a couple of years, and I have a question.

Are EMT's, etc, allowed to carry concealed guns while on duty?

Thanks!

Jane

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Typically, no. Most hospitals are off limits gun wise, and employers sometimes have rules against it as well.

While it SHOULD technically be allowed, it won't happen any time soon.

OP
OP
TheJaneTrain

TheJaneTrain

Forum Ride Along
I see. It is too bad that they do not allow them. Thanks for the reply!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I see. It is too bad that they do not allow them. Thanks for the reply!

Agreed, and it's sad that many here think it's more important to not look like cops than it is to protect themselves in a life threatening situation, but alas...

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I think there are better alternatives to firearms in EMS.

I'm from Nevada, I'm pro gun but I still see no reason for me to carry at work and I don't work in the nicest of cities. There are definitely worse ones out there but we have our fair share of gang violence and other violent crimes.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I think there are better alternatives to firearms in EMS.
I don't. It shouldn't matter what my job is in relation to if I can protect myself from someone trying to take my life. It's not like CCW holder draw down on every single person that raises their voice at them.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I don't. It shouldn't matter what my job is in relation to if I can protect myself from someone trying to take my life. It's not like CCW holder draw down on every single person that raises their voice at them.

Agreed but can you not see some of the jackwagons we work with doing so?

This is a topic that never ends well lol

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Agreed but can you not see some of the jackwagons we work with doing so?

This is a topic that never ends well lol

What others do or do not do should have no bearing on my Constitutional rights. If they break the law, they should pay, not me.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
What others do or do not do should have no bearing on my Constitutional rights. If they break the law, they should pay, not me.

Agreed 100%

I just know a few coworkers that have absolutely no business carrying a gun.

JPINFV

Gadfly
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9igSoJHEdUo[/YOUTUBE]

...and that was open carry.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
The Tueller drill is well known to people who do their due dilligence with concealed carry.

Sure, while we are nearly always within 21 feet of someone by the time they decide they want to attack us, that doesn't mean I need to just give up and not have a way of fighting back, does it? Wouldn't you prefer to have a gun in a knife fight, even if they had the drop on you?

JPINFV

Gadfly
The Tueller drill is well known to people who do their due dilligence with concealed carry.

Sure, while we are nearly always within 21 feet of someone by the time they decide they want to attack us, that doesn't mean I need to just give up and not have a way of fighting back, does it? Wouldn't you prefer to have a gun in a knife fight, even if they had the drop on you?

I'd prefer to have proper self defense training to deflect the attack with bare hands... in contrast to being killed because I'm too busy trying to draw a concealed firearm. In a tactical sense, firearms aren't always a trump card.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I'd prefer to have proper self defense training to deflect the attack with bare hands... in contrast to being killed because I'm too busy trying to draw a concealed firearm. In a tactical sense, firearms aren't always a trump card.

And no one has stated otherwise, which is why it behooves people to be somewhat proficient in multiple ways to defend themselves.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't be allowed to carry, concealed or otherwise.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Linuss save your keypad theres no convincing people, you'll just get blisters on your fingers.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
There is a HUGE difference between "hating the Constitution" and thinking that something is unnecessary. It falls into the just because you can do something doesn't mean it is a good idea category.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I know, I know, so many people hate the Constitution, but it's still fun to be right at times ^_^

Physics is unconstitutional, and therefore, unamerican!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
There is a HUGE difference between "hating the Constitution" and thinking that something is unnecessary. It falls into the just because you can do something doesn't mean it is a good idea category.

How is having the ability to defend your life unnecessary?

medic417

The Truth Provider
And (as I add blisters to my fingers) no one said it was the first or only way a person would choose to defend themselves. It just becomes another tool that you have as an option. Just like on the ambulance we have many items that will not be used often but when needed isn't nice to have the option to use it?

bahnrokt

Forum Lieutenant
NRA member and a CC holder. I see no reason to carry on the ambulance.

Your primary tools to defuse a situation is your mouth and your partner. Unless someone calls 911 with the express intent to murder an EMT, you need to try pretty hard to get into a situation where you need a gun. I've been on calls where situations escalated to the point of LEOs having to draw. But in everyone of those situations the EMT made mistakes in dealing with the pt that caused the situation to go bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.