Question about EVOC training and CA Ambulance License

JagWar

Forum Ride Along
Hey everyone!

This is my first post, but I was pretty happy to find out about emtlife!

I just received my NREMT and CA state certification for EMT-basic, and would like to apply as an ambulance driver. Now, I was told by my instructor that ambulance companies typically provide new employees with EVOC training and the necessary info for you to go out and take the DMV's ambulance written exam (and that purchasing the DMV pamphlet was a good idea).

The only problem is that, after looking at a couple of applications for various companies, they all ask if you have a DMV Ambulance Driver's permit and medical examiner's certificate. Do I have to go out and get the necessary training/ permit/ certificate on my own?

Or

Is this just simply asking if you have an ambulance permit and, if you dont, they'll provide the EVOC training for you if they choose to hire?

Basically I'm wondering if having an ambulance driver's permit is a prerequisite for applying to any ambulance company?

Thanks so much for your input!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
You have to go down to the DMV and get the ambulance cert application form and a medical clearance form and green card (DL51 and DL51A). You also have to get the background check application (LiveScan) and the study booklet. Get all the info filled out correctly and turn it back in to the DMV. They will give you a test (40 questions I believe). If you pass you will get a temporary cert while your main cert gets approved.

OP
OP
J

JagWar

Forum Ride Along
Thanks DesertEMT66!

So then taking care of the DMV portion is required before applying for a job as a driver.

What about EVOC? Would that be a separate course I would have to take after getting the DMV Ambulance permit and finding employment with a company? Or do I need to do that before even applying for a job? Reason I ask is because I heard AMR offers EVOC for the EMTs they hire, so I'm a bit confused as to the timeline concerning these things.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Thanks DesertEMT66!

So then taking care of the DMV portion is required before applying for a job as a driver.

What about EVOC? Would that be a separate course I would have to take after getting the DMV Ambulance permit and finding employment with a company? Or do I need to do that before even applying for a job? Reason I ask is because I heard AMR offers EVOC for the EMTs they hire, so I'm a bit confused as to the timeline concerning these things.

The ambulance cert is required by most employers in CA before hire.

EVOC will be handled by the company that hires you. Some companies don't really have EVOC but others (like AMR) do.

If you are given an EVOC class and are given a certificate for the class call up your auto insurance (if you have a car). Some insurers offer a discount for having the cert.

OP
OP
J

JagWar

Forum Ride Along
Ah I see- that makes perfect sense. Thank you so much for the clarification and tip!

Chris07

Competent in Incompetence
Some insurers offer a discount for having the cert.
Some offer a discount for your private auto insurance for having an EVOC cert?

I did not know that...I'm going to look into this! :D

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Some offer a discount for your private auto insurance for having an EVOC cert?

I did not know that...I'm going to look into this! :D

Yeah.

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
Dmv

It is the responsibility of your employeer to train you for driving an emergency vehicle. That's also a test question!

vassago1488

Forum Ride Along
Discounts Somewhat Off Topic

Especially if you work for a larger company like AMR, there's all sorts of discounts you can get. You need to go to HR and get one of the affiliate company packets to see what else you can get discounts on. I was able to get 15% off my AT&T cell bill monthly for working for them, and I got the insurance discount too. There's also a GM or Dodge discount or money back thing last I checked, and other good stuff too. Definitely worth Googling what you can get discounted with an EMS history and employment.

OP
OP
J

JagWar

Forum Ride Along
So I just want to say a big thanks to everyone who responded to this thread with info, especially DesertEMT66!

Went to the DMV today and, had I not been informed of the proper paperwork I needed, the people there would have sent me back home without livescan paperwork AND my DL51/51A!!!

In any case, I just had one other quick question if anyone doesn't mind answering:

I bought the blue ambulance pamphlet as recommended, and finished reading through most of it so far. I'm just wondering how much info is taken from the "California Code of Regulation" section- its the finer print pages that contain legal jargon and whatnot.

I'll also make sure to check out the AMR test that everyone seems to be talking about since thats apparently good practice for the test.

Thanks so much for your help again! You guys saved me a lot of potential frustration with the DMV!