Question about AMR's Operations in Socal Counties

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Did a search, and yes there are tons of AMR threads, but none answered my question.

Combined, San Bernardino, River Side, Ventura, and Santa Barbara Counties have a population around 5.3 million people.

Does anyone who works there know how many ambulances they're deploying in each of these Counties?

Riverside and San Bernardino Counties alone have about 2 mill each, that must equate to a lot of Ambulances and shifts.

Anyway just looking for people who might know what number they deploy into some of these Counties.

Thanks

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I can only speak for my division in riverside county. We are the smallest division and we deploy 16-20 ALS units per day and 1-4 BLS units per day.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
I can only speak for my division in riverside county. We are the smallest division and we deploy 16-20 ALS units per day and 1-4 BLS units per day.

But your County has the largest Pop. how is it the smallest Division, and how do you cover so many people with so few units

terrible one

Always wandering
But your County has the largest Pop. how is it the smallest Division, and how do you cover so many people with so few units

Berdo and Riv Counties are broken into 3 divisions each. So 16-20 ambulances is only one of three divisions.
Ventura County has around 30 ambulances up a day. No idea about Santa Barbara, less than 30 though.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

Riverside is divided up between 3 divisions Riverside Division, Hemet/Pass, and Palm Springs/Desert cities.

Each division is responsible for covering their area and if need be help another division with calls. My division covers 100 miles by 50 miles. Alot of the land is desert and populations in our cities are pretty small (40,000 in our biggest city and probably 10 in our smallest city).

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
gotcha, how big is the city of riverside?

The actual city of riverside is probably around 400,000 people (estimate, not sure on actual number)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
And these divisions are hard to get on with?

The only reason they are hard to get on with is because of the wait list. AMR is pretty much the only 911 ambulance company in this area so everyone wants to get on with AMR to be able to run the 911 calls.

Sadly I do not have any information on how many people are on the wait list.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
The only reason they are hard to get on with is because of the wait list. AMR is pretty much the only 911 ambulance company in this area so everyone wants to get on with AMR to be able to run the 911 calls.

Sadly I do not have any information on how many people are on the wait list.

I remember when I worked SD Co. Medics would make the drive North for the better pay and protocols in Riverside

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I remember when I worked SD Co. Medics would make the drive North for the better pay and protocols in Riverside

Yeah we have a couple EMTs and Medics from SD and LA.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Is fire ALS or BLS?

ALS. To the most part most fire companies will have 1 medic and 2-3 basics on the engine. Some fire companies will only staff firefighter medics. So sometimes you will have 5 medics on scene for any given call.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
ALS. To the most part most fire companies will have 1 medic and 2-3 basics on the engine. Some fire companies will only staff firefighter medics. So sometimes you will have 5 medics on scene for any given call.

5 Medics? well that sounds like a nightmare.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
5 Medics? well that sounds like a nightmare.

In my area it isn't too bad. Only 1 medic will be acting like a medic. The others will be EMTs or writing info down.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
Riverside doesn't have ondansetron though :( Nothing for nausea here.

OP
OP
F

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
In my area it isn't too bad. Only 1 medic will be acting like a medic. The others will be EMTs or writing info down.

Weird that they keep posting job openings online when they already have a waitlist

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
The only controlled ones are Morphine and Versed.

I don't think Ondansetron is controlled substance though? I guess it depends how you define controlled substance. I should hope that an ALS ambulance carries some sort of anti-emtic, that's a bread and butter ALS call right there.