[Q] About working as a paramedic with chronic pain

houseonfire

Forum Ride Along
I really want to go into this profession and have for a very long time. My only problem is that around 14 years old I had a botched surgery that screwed up my right foot. Nerve damage and chronic pain hilarity ensued. I'm 24 now. I take opiates for my pain. I have been on them long enough though that there is no physical or mental impairment other than slight constipation. They allow me to function and live. Without them I can barely walk. With them I can run and move like a normal person, and I can have a doctor or 3 attest to this.

My question is, with full disclosure and proper notification, will this get in my way of reaching my goal? I'm fine with UAs and any other tests whatever else it takes to prove myself. Red tape and all...

Thanks for the help.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
You'll have to talk to specific agencies about this. I would imagine with the support of your physicians and full disclosure someone would be willing to work with you.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Generally it's fine, I know our ops and med directors say none before or during duty.

Have your physicians tried anything besides opiates? They're horrid for chronic pain management. I've fractured and compressed my c-spine along with t spine, costovertebral, sternoclavicular injuries and a massive shoulder injury and have chronic pain. Between TCAs, Rx NSAIDs and topical anesthetic/muscle relaxants I do better than with opiates.

If it becomes an issue that's limiting you from your dreams it's something to talk about with your docs.

I'm 25 FWIW.

OP
OP
H

houseonfire

Forum Ride Along
I've been on everything from neurontin (nerve medication) to opiates. The opiates were pretty much the only thing to help in my case. Muscle relaxers do the job but they screw me up so bad (stoned off my ***) that its not even worth it. I can't stand not being able to think. A while back I read an article about how in a lot of cases they don't help, so I weened off and about 2 weeks later I had to be started back because it was too terrible. Without them I'm pretty useless.