PVC's with PMS

smart kid

Forum Probie
Just curious if anyone has ever seen this before or know what causes it?

My patient was a 41 year old female c/o chest pain.
Vitals were P: 60, BP: 100/60, R: 15 and regular, Skin: pale-cool-moist.

Although her pulse was 60 it wasn't regular. It would beat 12 or 13 times in a normal rhythm then it would completely stop for what seemed like 3 seconds or so, then would restart with 2 or 3 very quick beats, then back into a normal rhythm. This is a repetative process.

Onset: PMS
Provoking factors: none
Quality of the pain: "like I swallowed a piece of candy but it lodged in my heart"
No radiating pain
Severity of PVC's : 7
Time: started 4 days ago but gradually got worse.
Prior history of PVC's but refused transport AMA.

Her story was very interesting. She stated that this happens every month usually the day before she starts her menstrual cycle, also that she can tell how heavy its going to be by the severity of the PVC's. She mentioned that the last time the PVC's were this bad, she hemorrhaged the next day for 24 hours.

Apparently she's been to the hospital many times before for this, but they say that its normal for a small percentage of woman.

I'm just a basic but this doesn't sound normal to me. I hope I provided enough info for a little insight.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Wow, that's very interesting. I've never heard of that, but anything is possible. :)

Maybe somehow the drop in hormones (which is what brings on the shedding of the uterine lining) somehow affects her heart - maybe through other chemicals the body produces or something along those lines? That's my best guess without doing any research.

Neat case - I'm interested to see if some of the old-times have come across this.