Psych Hold - How do you assess?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
First I am gonna share with you guys the story about this call I did that prompted me to ask this question. You guys might think I'm really bad (or hopefully not) for saying these things to a patient, but I hope to learn from you guys, and not repeat this mistake.

Today I did a transport, and the hospital was very unhappy with the questions I asked the patient. I thought these were good questions to ask, but they told my partner (not me) that they were inappropriate questions and somebody needs to stop me. My partner wasn't in the room when I asked the question, and he listed off a couple of the things I said that was consistent with what I asked that bothered them, but he said there was more, and that he couldn't remember.

When I walked into the room, I introduced myself, verified she was the right patient by asking her name and checking her name tag/bracelet, and asked the patient how come they where here. We do interfacility transport, and this was dispatched as a 5150 (72 hour psychiatric hold in California) so I already knew. They didn't like that I asked why were they there.

The patient was a minor so I asked if the parents were present. They were also mad that I asked this. My partner said there was something about child protective service, or something, so maybe that's why. I still thought it was a reasonable question.

Here are questions I figured may have bugged them, but these are questions I started asking based off what the facility I transport to them ask. I asked if she had any intention to hurting herself or others, did she have a plan, and if she did, how she planned to do it. When I asked, she said she really didn't mean it, it was the heat of the moment, no plan. She just told somebody that she wanted to die. She is stressed out about school. I asked what grade she was in, and then asked if finals were going on and if that's why she's stressing? This was while the nurse was going in and out of the room, and the security gaurd sitting in front of the entrance of the room the entire time.

By then my partner said "I need to speak with you right now." and signal me to come over. He told me that the nurse and security (security sits in front of the room to make sure 5150s don't try to escape, hurt themselves, or others) said that I was asking "inappropriate questions", and that I need to be stop, I am not a psychologist, and it's not my place to ask these questions.

I think the nurse was trying to get me out of the room the entire time because she said "I'll give you a report outside of the room in just a moment", and I told her "Oh, my partner will actually take your report. He's hunting for you right now." She didn't like my choice of wording "hunting" either he said (like I said, they clearly complained cause he wasn't in the room when I asked these questions).

The reason I was asking these questions instead of him was because usually the EMTs here do an assessment by asking "Do you have any headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, shortness of breath, pain, chest pain?", they'll check vitals, lung sounds, and CSM in all extremities, and to me, that's not even really an assessment. If my partner is not present and paperwork is not ready, I'll try to do an assessment, and then I'll give a report to my partner before we start transporting (by the way, they trained us to report to our partner, but usually only AO questions, the list I told you with headache, dizziness, etc...., and if we see anything obvious like a g-tube).

I was pretty bummed because not only was one person mad, but two people where mad (the RN and security guard). To my partner, they made it sound like I was out of control. Neither of them spoke to me or stopped me (maybe cause they are too polite), and talked very negatively to my partner about me as if I was his problem, like a pet almost (that's how I felt), and they smiled at me the entire time. He didn't tell me it was the security guard too either until after the call ended, cause when I stopped, I just waited by the patient on the gurney while waiting for my partner, and the security guard and I talked too, and he was really friendly with me, and I just felt like he was being a phony to me instead (well, really being professional by still smiling and stuff at me).

I was really bummed with this call afterwards. I felt like I really screwed up. How bad am I really am if I couldn't even tell I was doing a bad job during the call? Had nobody told me, I would've continued to think I was doing the right thing.

Perhaps my partner felt I over stepped his role too

He was also telling me about the previous call, he didn't like that I told the parents about HIPAA either. We require a signature so they know their information is suppose to be kept a secret, but that their signature is giving us permission to tell that information to their insurance company so we can bill them rather than sending the bill to the family directly. If they don't sign, a bill will be sent directly to their address instead. He said that I need to be a people person, and just tell them that it's for keeping their info a secret (only tell them half of it, whether they sign or not, I am gonna keep the info secret).

TL;DR Anyhow, in short, tell me how bad I did. What I could've done to improve. If you work IFT, what kind of questions do you ask a psychiatric hold patient. What's involved in your assessment? Does it change for pediatric patients?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Oh noes, the security guard was upset. How about the security guard stay focused on security and not medical care, mmkay?

On the HIPAA note, you don't need permission to bill, it's a "permitted use" under the "treatment, billing, and healthcare operations" heading.

As far as the questions. Where they necessary? Probably not. The patient is already on a hold and deemed a danger to herself, thus the hold. With the exception of deciding if restraints are needed, I don't see how the questions would change treatment. Where they inappropriate in the sense of "You aren't a psychologist"? Absolutely not. If you're ever on a scene call for a patient with an acute psychiatric disorder, then you need to be able to ask those questions to determine the patients legal status (implied consent vs informed consent, the need for a hold vs no hold, etc).

CBentz12

Forum Crew Member
Thats BS I have been through some Psych calls and as far as what you did I would have done the same. If your going to be transporting this PT you have to know how serious they are and what kind of person they are so you can either A) Prepare yourself for the worst 10-15 minutes or B) Focus on filling out the report while en route whil enot having to worry about the PT taking the straps off and jumping out. I have seen many Psych PTs un strap themselves and try to stand up in the ambulance and I knew they would just by the way they were talking to me during my PT assessment.

There are some really *****y RN's out there you just have to learn how they are for next time but you can't just go pick a PT up and not say a damn word to them. Especially a minor who feels more comfortable most of the time when you try to get and know them better. You do what you do but I would have asked the same questions and I have before.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I've asked similar questions during txp. It's making conversation.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I just do a medical assessment. Any pain, medical history, etc. the way I see it is they are on a hold already so there is no need to asking if they feel like hurting themselves or others. As long as they are on the hold they get restraints regardless.

It's pretty much "hi my name is EMT John. I work for XYZ company and we are here to transport you to XYZ facility. I already got all your paperwork and all your belongings." then I go thru my sample history and ask the patient if they have any injuries. Then tell them to hop on the gurney and explain the restraints. And then we are off.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It's pretty much "hi my name is EMT John. I work for XYZ company and we are here to transport you to XYZ facility. I already got all your paperwork and all your belongings." then I go thru my sample history and ask the patient if they have any injuries. Then tell them to hop on the gurney and explain the restraints. And then we are off.

This.

You can get all the info you asked from the transfer packet. These people are pissed off already, then they've been stuck in a hospital for who knows how long. The last thing they want is repeat questioning.

Don't beat yourself up dude, it's not the end of the world. The questions were appropriate questions but like I said before most if not all of the answers will be in the transfer packet.

Don't let the nurse or security douche get under your skin. They have a hospital with lots of backup. You have your partner who has to stop the ambulance, get out, run around to the door then get in to come and help you if you get into a bind with this patient so it's your right and job to know what's going on. With this said, see what I said before about transfer packets.

Just look at it as a learning experience.

JPINFV

Gadfly
This.

You can get all the info you asked from the transfer packet. These people are pissed off already, then they've been stuck in a hospital for who knows how long. The last thing they want is repeat questioning.
Maybe I just got lucky, maybe I just have selective memory, but the vast majority of the patients I've transported who were already on a hold weren't pissed off. Resigned? Sure. Upset? Not many.

tacitblue

Forum Crew Member
Oh noes, the security guard was upset. How about the security guard stay focused on security and not medical care, mmkay?

On the HIPAA note, you don't need permission to bill, it's a "permitted use" under the "treatment, billing, and healthcare operations" heading.

As far as the questions. Where they necessary? Probably not. The patient is already on a hold and deemed a danger to herself, thus the hold. With the exception of deciding if restraints are needed, I don't see how the questions would change treatment. Where they inappropriate in the sense of "You aren't a psychologist"? Absolutely not. If you're ever on a scene call for a patient with an acute psychiatric disorder, then you need to be able to ask those questions to determine the patients legal status (implied consent vs informed consent, the need for a hold vs no hold, etc).
This

First off, the security guards opinion on your history taking is a non-issue. The reasons for this are obvious. Also, when I have my patients or their parents sign the HIPPA and Assignment of Benefits section of the PCR, I inform them it is for permission to bill their insurance and for notifying them of their privacy rights. Your partner suggesting you explain any less than this, he is advocating dishonesty.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Maybe I just got lucky, maybe I just have selective memory, but the vast majority of the patients I've transported who were already on a hold weren't pissed off. Resigned? Sure. Upset? Not many.

Agreed. Most are calm. I have run into a few very, very angry ones.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I have asked similar questions, so I don't see a problem with it. However, I work 911, and not IFT. Therefore, those answers haven't necessarily been established yet.

Like others have said, don't give a second thought to the security guard. His job is to provide security, not patient care. And, when it comes to the signature, I always explain what they are signing, as well as give them an opportunity to read the abbreviated blurb on the form, if they chose to do so.

Sasha

Forum Chief
"do you want to hurt yourself or others" is important. I'd like a heads up if they're going to jump out the back or stab me with a pen.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
"do you want to hurt yourself or others" is important. I'd like a heads up if they're going to jump out the back or stab me with a pen.

It all depends on your system. It's not an important question for my system because:
1) all 5150 patients get 5 seatbelts and 4 point soft limb restraints (company policy).
2) you should always pay attention to your patient. So you will notice if they are trying to get out of the restraints.
3) once again watch your patient when you are letting them out of the restraints. And never be the only one there. For our system we have the RN, the monitor tech, a security guard, and then the EMS crew all there for 5150 holds.

Sasha

Forum Chief
For mine we only restrain with Dr order.

The only one in the back is the tech.

And we have had patients who snap in a second.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I disagree with "everyone gets restrained" but whatev.

I think you were asking too many questions . Do you want to hurt yourself or others is important.

But its a kid. I wouldnt be saying "did you try and kill yourself? How were you going to do it? Was it because of school?" I think thats where you crossed the line.

Not to be mean, but you seem to have very little faith in yourself from what I can tell on here. Everything you do you need reassurance and a pat on the head.telling you that you will be ok.

Toughen up a little bit. So when you do get *****y nurses or crazy patients it wont effect you so much, and cause you to loose sleep over it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

I get the idea that most of the holds I transport don't really understand what the hold actually entails and many expect to be released from the destination facility as soon as we arrive. I would never intentionally lie to my patients, but if that's what they want to believe I am not going to potentially upset them by setting them straight. I'm happy to be honest and answer their questions to the best of my ability, but I am not about to go into detail about the hold process or their illness for that matter. Most of the time the angry patients are just angry that they are languishing in an ER and are happy and ready to cooperate to get on the road. Perhaps this is why I've never applied restraints to anyone. I'll bring them in with me, but unless the patient is actively fighting the staff, I'm not going to use them, and even then I doubt I'd even choose to transport until a way to calm the patient down (Hadol) is established.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
For mine we only restrain with Dr order.

The only one in the back is the tech.

And we have had patients who snap in a second.

Legal 2000s, Nevada's version of a 5150, are pretty much the only IFTs we run, the rest is 911.

We decide if we want to restrain the pt or the doctor can order it. I have yet to restrain one on an IFT. 9/10 times the Intermediate is attending and the medic is driving.

5 point seat belts and 4 point soft restraints seems excessive. Not judging, just my 0.02

JPINFV

Gadfly
Legal 2000s, Nevada's version of a 5150, are pretty much the only IFTs we run, the rest is 911.

We decide if we want to restrain the pt or the doctor can order it. I have yet to restrain one on an IFT. 9/10 times the Intermediate is attending and the medic is driving.

5 point seat belts and 4 point soft restraints seems excessive. Not judging, just my 0.02

I agree that mandatory limb restraints is bat poop stupid, but if that's the way the county protocol is written, then so be it. Of course I'm the sort of tool that would hand every patient the contact info for the county LEMSA under the concept of play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I'm having a hard time figuring out 5 point seatbelts. A chest belt and a leg belt is 4 points. Shoulder straps add another 2 points. A waste belt would add another 2 points.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

On most patients it is really excessive. And I don't like the fact that we have to restrain all 5150 patients but it's what the company wants, and I like my job lol. I've had to restrain 4 year old patients and 92 year old patients.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I agree that mandatory limb restraints is bat poop stupid, but if that's the way the county protocol is written, then so be it. Of course I'm the sort of tool that would hand every patient the contact info for the county LEMSA under the concept of play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I'm having a hard time figuring out 5 point seatbelts. A chest belt and a leg belt is 4 points. Shoulder straps add another 2 points. A waste belt would add another 2 points.

There's five buckles? If you count the attachments on the shoulder belts that go through the chest buckle that is.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief

Lap belt, waist belt, chest bealt, shoulder belt x2. Total of 5.