Professional Organizations

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
I was just wondering if any of you are members of a professional organization like NAEMT or something like that.

I'm thinking about joining one and i'm not sure which one would be best. Or if they are just highly overrated and I shouldn't waste my time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!!

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Only reason I'd join NAEMT is if I was going to EMS Expo... big discount for small membership fee.

Jon

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Awwww tell em the truth, you just want the free bumper sticker!

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Let's see...

NAEMT
IAAI
ASHI
Evergreen Safety Coucil

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I become a member of NAEMT nearly 28 years ago. Back then it was realy a better professional organization and had a really good professional research journal.

I am again a member of NAEMT for 2 reasons: 1) I can officially complain that it is a worthless organization that does not adequately represent EMS personal. 2) It was part of the PHTLS fees.
I am also an active member of my state EMT association. I believe it is important to be active and participate in local and state legislation and a member of the National EMS Educators Associtation as well.

In nursing I am a member of the Emergency Nurses Association (ENA) and the American Association of Critical Care Nurses (AACN), as well as Air Surface Transport Nurses Association (ASTNA) formely known as Flught Nurse Association.

I believe it is very wise to be active and support your professional organization to enhance education and preofessional development.

be safe,
R/R 911

OP
OP
40sCutest

40sCutest

Forum Lieutenant
Ridryder911 said:
I am also an active member of my state EMT association. I believe it is important to be active and participate in local and state legislation and a member of the National EMS Educators Associtation as well.

Does every state have an EMT association? I googled PA EMT association and i didn't get anything useful.

Thanks!!

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
It's alright to be a member, even better if your involved. I've been a member of professional orginizations before, and have participated.

The one thing i would forward here is, once you get to know any particular orginization, check out what they do for their people.

And i don't mean the administratives, or perphrial associates, i mean the people that they claim to serve

Follow the $$$ they recieve, and note where it goes, that's where the rubber meets the road, don't rely on a sales pitch or heresay...

~S~

CaptainPanic

Former EMT...
every state has an EMT assoc. just that some arent listed on the internet. Ours has an active online forum where we can discuss issues that affect our profession.

-CP