PRN L.A. North Hills

Ventucky EMT

Forum Ride Along
I'm going to start working for PRN on Tuesday. I need pros and cons. This will be my first job as an EMT, but no disgruntled former employee is going to stop my excitement!
Thanks

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm going to start working for PRN on Tuesday. I need pros and cons. This will be my first job as an EMT, but no disgruntled former employee is going to stop my excitement!
Thanks
You don't need disgruntled former workers to do that! LOL some have left other reputable companies for prn and basically shot themselves in the foot to the point where they can't go back to the former employer.

OP
OP
V

Ventucky EMT

Forum Ride Along
You don't need disgruntled former workers to do that! LOL some have left other reputable companies for prn and basically shot themselves in the foot to the point where they can't go back to the former employer.
*Or friends of former disgruntled workers. Haha but you have no other info on them?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm....a little late to be asking for pros and cons of working for PRN AFTER accepting the job offer and have a starting date.....especially if you think you'll be getting resonses from "Former disgruntled employees" that you wont listen too to avoid dampening your excitement (no need to be too excited, I was pretty happy to get my first EMT job there myself, but just remember you'll be doing non-emergent BLS transfers all day, definitely more interesting than most other jobs where you're cooped up in one place all day, but neither is it the most exciting job out there either).

Anyways, I worked for PRN for about 10 months back in 2013. Back then I thought it was a pretty decent company. Show up on time to the right station in uniform that's tucked in and boots not looking like you just did a week long USAR exercise, clock in, check out the rig and go available and run your calls and turn in proper paperwork and don't crash the amulance and don't go out of your way to piss off nurses and you were golden. You'd start shift, get a post, go pick up someone at a hospital going to a nursing home, maybe from a SNF to some other tertiary care facility, drive around the county in circles between different posts, maybe do a non Kaiser to Kaiser transfer.....rinse, wash, repeat. Pretty easy, pretty chill. Once in a blue moon there'd be a dialysis transfer, or a lift assist. I started off on a BLS shift, then got on a CCT shift which were almost all hospital to hospital transfers between ICUs for various reasons. Only ever got one Code 3 call (that was on a CCT taking a STEMI from one Kaiser ER that didn't have a cath lab across town to one that did). Only reason I left was to go work for a company that also did 911 response. PRN does (did) not do ANY 911s really, never took a 911 call in the 10 months I was there, never heard one go out over the radio. But that's what I wanted to do, so that's why I left (although since I landed at Gerber in it's last year before shutting down, there was definitely a few days I was thinking I should've stayed on my CCT shift)

But that was all back in 2013. They've since been bought out and have gotten all new management. And everything that I've heard through the grapevine has been less than spectacular. You can do a search here and read up on threads about PRN in the last few years and pretty much gain all the same info I have. but my basic understanding is that the new management is a pain and things have started to go a bit down hill, but consensus does seem to be PRN and Bowers are still among the top two IFT only companies to work for in the county. So.....show up on time, check your rig out and be available for calls on time, take the calls they give you, expect to post all day in between calls, do a full BLS assessment of your patients (don't be that EMT chatting away on their cell phone during the entire transport) and learn what you can from their charts about different lab values and what they mean and what meds go with what conditions. Because whether you're going on the PA/medical school or going for FD/Paramedic that'll help you out.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm....a little late to be asking for pros and cons of working for PRN AFTER accepting the job offer and have a starting date.....especially if you think you'll be getting resonses from "Former disgruntled employees" that you wont listen too....

Anyways, I worked for PRN for about 10 months back in 2013. Back then I thought it was a pretty decent company. Show up on time to the right station in uniform that's tucked in and boots not looking like you just did a week long USAR exercise, clock in, check out the rig and go available and run your calls and turn in proper paperwork and don't crash the amulance and don't go out of your way to piss off nurses and you were golden. You'd start shift, get a post, go pick up someone at a hospital going to a nursing home, maybe from a SNF to some other tertiary care facility, drive around the county in circles between different posts, maybe do a non Kaiser to Kaiser transfer.....rinse, wash, repeat. Pretty easy, pretty chill. Once in a blue moon there'd be a dialysis transfer, or a lift assist. I started off on a BLS shift, then got on a CCT shift which were almost all hospital to hospital transfers between ICUs for various reasons. Only ever got one Code 3 call (that was on a CCT taking a STEMI from one Kaiser ER that didn't have a cath lab across town to one that did). Only reason I left was to go work for a company that also did 911 response. PRN does (did) not do ANY 911s really, never took a 911 call in the 10 months I was there, never heard one go out over the radio. But that's what I wanted to do, so that's why I left (although since I landed at Gerber in it's last year before shutting down, there was definitely a few days I was thinking I should've stayed on my CCT shift)

But that was all back in 2013. They've since been bought out and have gotten all new management. And everything that I've heard through the grapevine has been less than spectacular. You can do a search here and read up on threads about PRN in the last few years and pretty much gain all the same info I have. but my basic understanding is that the new management is a pain and things have started to go a bit down hill, but consensus does seem to be PRN and Bowers are still among the top two IFT only companies to work for in the county. So.....show up on time, check your rig out and be available for calls on time, take the calls they give you, expect to post all day in between calls, do a full BLS assessment of your patients (don't be that EMT chatting away on their cell phone during the entire transport) and learn what you can from their charts about different lab values and what they mean and what meds go with what conditions. Because whether you're going on the PA/medical school or going for FD/Paramedic that'll help you out.
Yes but Bowers now being AMR means room for growth and no irresponsible management. From what ive heard, Bowers is backing up amrs 911.

OP
OP
V

Ventucky EMT

Forum Ride Along
Hmm....a little late to be asking for pros and cons of working for PRN AFTER accepting the job offer and have a starting date.....especially if you think you'll be getting resonses from "Former disgruntled employees" that you wont listen too to avoid dampening your excitement (no need to be too excited, I was pretty happy to get my first EMT job there myself, but just remember you'll be doing non-emergent BLS transfers all day, definitely more interesting than most other jobs where you're cooped up in one place all day, but neither is it the most exciting job out there either).

Actually no it isn't too late to be getting pros and cons. Why wouldn't you want to get all the information on a company you're going to work for?.. Thanks for the reply it's appreciated. I plan on getting experience at PRN and then transferring to Ventura county and hopefully become a paramedic.

Rano Pano

Forum Lieutenant
Most people would say finding out pros and cons about a potential workplace is something you should do BEFORE accepting a job. I think that's what Jim was pointing out.

I take it though you're just looking for any experience you can get which isn't wrong.

Also, if Ventura is your goal keep applying out there. Don't think you need X amount of time in a IFT setting before makin a change.

JohnTheEMT

Forum Crew Member
PRN isnt a bad company. Its one of the few that actually does not do medicare fraud or anything shady. They have been around for a while and are growing a lot. I heard they made a new station to serve orange county. Now, there is a lot of former emts that used to work there that will tell you they hated working there. Only reason is because they got stuck doing ifts for 4 years and said the company has gone to **** . Many of them will say they are running 3 calls a day and thats way too much but thats coming from "salty " emts that need a vacation and need to rethink their career choices. I used to work for them and it was a good place to work. I did gain experience . If you are trying this out before going to a 911 provider dont do it too long because your skills will deteriorate over time .

Tony Ippolito

Forum Probie
It's your typical dialysis transport. I'd try to get into care. Prn doesn't do much actual EMT work.
Pay is moderate, hours are there. But basically taxi work.