Bambi

Forum Ride Along
Hello! So I'm being sponsored for medic school, however, I need to gather supplies.

What would you recommend for supplies, anything you didn't think of needing that was helpful?

Did you prefer to handwrite notes or type?

Just trying to get a feel for what to expect. Thank you.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
what type of supplies are you referring to?

Jn1232th

Forum Captain
I had to do an anatomy and phys class. also start going thru local protocols, get to know med math/common drugs/basic ecg stuff. your school should tell you what books to get since every program is different.

personally I retain info better if I write notes too all my are handwritten. for some reason im having a issue with PALS so maybe look over ACLS/PALS algorithms.

as to what to expect, depends on if your working or not. I work nights 5 days a week and school during the day so for me medic school is straight hell but it is do able. expect to study alotttt, Read a lot, and probably freak out a good few times on whether your going to remember everything haha.

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
No notes. Only Anki.

https://apps.ankiweb.net/

I never will forget the day in medic class, we were learning about different ways people die I guess. Burning, electrocution... Teacher advances to a slide that says "Drowning: death by being submerged in water" or something like that. I looked around and everyone in the class was furiously writing stuff.

Like did you really need to write that down? Come on guys.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I wrote notes just to stay engaged, I don't think I really ever looked at them again unless someone at work was throwing pimp questions around. That's just what worked for me.

In terms of preparing, I spent the summer before learning all the drug cards (as in, name/class/mechanism/contras/dose). While I didn't have a great grasp of the pharmacodynamics at that point, it made class way easier since I wasn't burning time trying to memorize that stuff.