Pregnancy in EMS

croaker260

Forum Crew Member
OK, while the the other discussions are VERY riviting, I thought I would provide us with a break from that. WHat I am trying to do is to get some uniform companies to consider improving their product lines for our "sisters" in public safety, especialy those who are pregnant.

For those who aren't “in the know”, over the past 4 months my wife has been pregnant and enjoying (I use the word sarcastically) all the weird body changes that goes along with expecting a baby. What makes this story of interest to us in EMS (other than the sadistic and macabre interest people take in seeing me squirm…) is that My wife is in EMS.

Anyway, over the past 4 months we have up sized pants at least 3 times, struggled with Utility belts, how to carry a radio, and numerous other uniform issues. maintaining a proffesional appearance is an increasing challange with the "maternity wear" options available in the comercial market. Not to mention durability issues.

Again you ask, why am I writing about this? After all, in the past year I can think of at least 2 other pregnant employees at our department alone, and probably 7 in the past 3 years. It occurred to me, as one employee had to modify maternity wear to work on the rig, another modified uniform shirts, that there should be public safety maternity wear. While most people think of the male dominated (not a judgement, just a fact) fire service as EMS, the truth is that most non fire services have from 20-40% females in the field. This does not even account for other public safety agencies that have females in the field, such as Law Enforcement.

Even if a pregnant EMS employee goes on light duty, there are plenty of calls for a “uniformed appearance”. Classes, PR events, Demo’s. Need I say more?

So I checked the local uniform shops: Nothing. Next, I checked the Internet: Nothing. I even wrote one of the largest public safety supply companies I the world: Galls, Inc. Nothing.

Mr. Benny Belcher, Senior marketing director for Galls, took the time to write back:

"...Thanks for your suggestion concerning maternity wear uniforms. Ironically, we have been researching and developing a small offering that we may carry in the near future. The market for maternity wear is relatively small compared to the regular uniform market however, we recognize that it is a niche that needs to be filled.
Again, thanks for the suggestion and we hope that you will see maternity uniforms in the Galls offering in the near future. Best of luck to you and your wife on the pending birth of your baby.
Regards,
Benny Belcher
Senior Merchandise Director Email: belcher-benny@galls.com"

What I would like to encourage others to do is to take a few minutes, write a letter or Email expressing your desire to see Maternity wear that is able to stand up to the rigors of EMS. Relate a personal experience of you or your spouse, or talk about some unique challenges that guys like me would never think of.
I doubt we will see changes in time to help my wife, or the other EMT’s and Medics who are currently pregnant. But this time next year? That may be a different story. But only if You take the time to write. Emails to write to are:

prod-suggestion@galls.com
www.aspenmills.com (go to contact page)
marketing@elbeco.com

Feel free to send me any other sugestions as to people to harass. I am hoping that a significant flood of letters will prompt some investment into this issue.

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
I'm currently 7 months pregnant, I'm on a vol department so we don't really have uniforms I do agree that there should be professional uniform maternity wearI'm not able to run calls right now due to some complications, however my big thing was when I found out I was expecting is that the other memebers wouldnt let me lift a finger I'm pregnant people I can still do things I know I shouldnt complain they all just care I do have problems carrying a radio though pants where always falling lol I wish you and your wife well

Lisa

Forum Crew Member
I too am 6 months pregnant. I am a volunteer as well but have the oppurtunity to fill in at my local ambulance service from time to time. I found out I was expecting while in EMT school. Clinicals were tough as well as national registry because of the morning sickness and growong belly. I made do with what I had but now I am too big to even fit into my uniform pants.
I agree wholeheartedly.....someone needs to design and market maternity wear for us growing ladies. I thought I was the only one who felt this way...glad to see others who are going thru the same thing.

EMTCHICKY.......I am in the same boat as you about not being able to lift a finger, I hate it!!! It is hard going from being super active and involved on scenes to being just able to stand there and watch!

Good luck to both you...I wish you happy healthy babies.