preffered boots

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
So im new to ems though i grew up around it, and i was wondering what everyone else has for their boots on duty, personally i bought a pair of side zip duty boots at sears cheap but i want to see if you guys recommend anything special/different. mine are good for now. i really didnt see the justification in spending $150 + plus for a pair of boots that will get there use.

OP
OP
C

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
They are nice but im still in high school with little income so 195 is a little pricey. im not to thrilled with the tounge zipper. i love my current side zip boots they are so easy to get on and off in a pinch. thanks for the link though its in my bookmarks now

TacoMEDIC

Forum Crew Member
Unfortunately, a good, polishable, steel toe, zip-up boot is going to be a bit pricey. If you got a pair from a department store for cheaper and are happy with them, then I see no need to spend the extra money. Everyone has a preference. :)

emt_irl

Forum Captain
i have a pair of tuf king boots that are above the ankle and have a side zipper. looking to upgrade to some magnums soon.

the side zips come in great on night shifts when you need to get dressed fast

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I'm probably going to get laughed at here, but my favorite boot is the SWAT boot made by Brahma and sold at Wal-mart.....Got a pair of zippers and laced them in and they work great!....I also have my trust Altamas...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Search around a little this question has been asked and answered a lot

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I have these: http://www.globefiresuits.com/footgear/products-and-solutions/technical-10in-zipper-speed-lace.aspx

If you work in an EMS capacity with a fire department, these boots are great. These boots are certified to protect against bloodborne pathogens, chemical spills/splashes, and to protect in wildland and technical rescue situations. Basically, everything but structural firefighting, so for fire-based EMS personnel, they're the best and only boots you need.

I don't like the lace-in zippers, though. I would have preferred a side-zip.

They're also quite expensive, $348 at one popular online retailer.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
My favorite type of boots are the 5.11 Tactical boots....they're a little pricey, I spent about $150 on mine. They are size zip & you can get them in steel-toe or non steel-toe. I love them and will never buy anything other than 5.11s

OP
OP
C

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for all of the suggestions, i think im going to order the 5.11s soon i was checking them out today online and theyre reasonably priced.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for all of the suggestions, i think im going to order the 5.11s soon i was checking them out today online and theyre reasonably priced.

They're reasonably priced & extremely comfortable. Also, I've had mine about 2 years, and they still are holding up great... also I would recommend the waterproof 5.11s (that's what I have) they're a little stiffer to break in, but once they're broken-in they're the best boots you could ask for!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Meh, also take a look at the converse tac boots with side zip. They're comfy and last a while.

RUGBY66X

Forum Probie
Ive got a pair of bates side zip tactical boots that are awesome i bought a 13 which is what i normaly wear and they fit perfect and also have room left for thicker sox in the cold weather.

EMT204

Forum Ride Along
Personally i think rocky boots are awesome, i am also just starting in ems, these boots are light, they zip on the side and are also insulated and they last forever. i recently told a friend about rocky boots, he had a pair of 5.11 and immediately loved the boots. i highly recommend rocky!

Fox800

Forum Captain
I've been pretty happy with my Danner Acadia's but they are pretty expensive ($200+). I have also heard good things about Pro Warringtons.

SCClayton

Forum Probie
My personal favorites are the 5.11 Sleet 8's I have had my current pair for 2 years (of at least 50 hours a week of wear) now and they are in great shape. Plus they were comfortable right out of the box and reasonably priced.

I ordered them from Atlantic Tactical and got a bunch of free stuff with them (3 pairs of free socks, a 5.11 mug, hat, mock turtle neck, and shipping ) heck of a deal!

http://www.atlantictactical.com/itemMatrix.asp?ic=42Q%2D040%2DM&eq=&MatrixType=2

IBleedJDM

Forum Ride Along
I've always been told there are two things that you never skimp on, Shoes and food. On that note I have a pair of side zipper Converse that are extremely comfortable(after I broke them in which took about a week) but not terribly durable. They polish up nicely though

OP
OP
C

C.T.E.M.R.

Forum Lieutenant
I have looked at the converse, But I'm leaning towards 5.11 atac side zips now, i like my current boots. But i really want a dedicated pair for on duty.

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I do think I'm going to get something to just wear around the station, save some wear and tear on my boots...After spending that kind of money on them, I don't want them wearing out in a year or two because they're always being worn. I think I might get a nice pair of slippers... :D