Preferred type of shirt while working?

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys, just wondering what your opinions are on this topic. What type of shirt does your company use/what do you prefer while on duty. T-shirt, polo, button down? also, what are the upsides and downsides of each? Thanks.

Drax

Forum Captain
Hey guys, just wondering what your opinions are on this topic. What type of shirt does your company use/what do you prefer while on duty. T-shirt, polo, button down? also, what are the upsides and downsides of each? Thanks.

They prefer button up/slacks during normal duty hours.

Sweatshirts and bunker bottoms seem to be ok at night though.

Anjel

Forum Angel
I am so excited right now lol

We switch to polo type shirts Memorial Day through Labor Day. Button up or sweaters the rest of the year.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Scrubs... feels like pajamas, can wear inside out, free laundering.

Cons: Lack of pockets, lack of belt.

/Didn't specify location of employment.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
We currently use button downs (called BDU, battle dress uniform), but we are soon switching to polos.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
When I was in Fire, I just wore a t-shirt. When I switched to EMS, it now has to be either a polo or a button-up. I prefer the button-up over the polo, personally.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
preferred is a T-shirt in the warm weather, and a job shirt in the cooler weather (with a t-shirt underneath). Purely for comfort.

as for professional, I like a nice embroidered polo shirt with a pen holder on the sleeve.

We issue button downs, but employees can purchase polos during the summer or in communications.

button downs often get that ring around the collar look.

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
Even though I actually can switch to T-shirts during summer, I wear long sleeve button downs year round, As far as I'm concerned they look more professional than any of the other options, and that matters to me. Even with the sleeves rolled they look better than even short sleeved button downs.

I was handed the task of finding our new uniform shirts. I spent three hours with the poor sales lady at the local uniform shop finding shirts that are available:

a) In short and long sleeved varieties (I recognize that other people feel differently about long sleeves).

b) Available in both mens and women's cuts, none of this unisex bull:censored::censored::censored::censored:.

c) A relatively high cotton/poly blend, so they breathe, but don't wrinkle (I had to compromise on this one, best I could do was 35 cotton,/65 poly.)

d) Available in sizes to fit both my 5'0" co-worker and my 6'8" self.

I wound up with the flying cross valor series (http://www.flyingcross.com/Valor-Mens-Long-Sleeve-Shirt-Omits-Creases.aspx)

Angel

Paramedic
button down. polos would be nice for the 100+ degree weather, but my former job refused...guess well see about the next one.

tshirts..ehh, if the FD can get away with it and still be professional i dont see why we cant. personally with the amount i sweat i wouldnt mind it.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
I have EMT tattooed on my back so I got shirtless. :cool:

I kidd. (About the tattoo and the shirtless part)

MrJones

Iconoclast
button down. polos would be nice for the 100+ degree weather, but my former job refused...guess well see about the next one.

tshirts..ehh, if the FD can get away with it and still be professional i dont see why we cant. personally with the amount i sweat i wouldnt mind it.

"Being" professional and "looking" professional are not necessarily the same. And, while I understand that there are legitimate reasons that fire fighters wear T-shirts as a matter of course, I am not a fan of that look for EMS. When it comes right down to it, looking like medical professionals and not fire fighters (or rent-a-cops) will be just as important as improving our education standards if we want our profession to be accepted as such.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
"Being" professional and "looking" professional are not necessarily the same. And, while I understand that there are legitimate reasons that fire fighters wear T-shirts as a matter of course, I am not a fan of that look for EMS. When it comes right down to it, looking like medical professionals and not fire fighters (or rent-a-cops) will be just as important as improving our education standards if we want our profession to be accepted as such.

Agreed.

The last 2 places I worked for used polo's, before that every place I worked for used button up collar uniform shirts. I prefer the more formal button up uniform collar shirt myself, I think its more professional. Unfortunately you need to enforce uniform standards with it, otherwise people can look very unprofessional in it. I also wear an under Armour compression shirt underneath sometimes which matches the color of my uniform or is white/black

Last edited by a moderator:

MrJones

Iconoclast
Agreed.

The last 2 places I worked for used polo's, before that every place I worked for used button up collar uniform shirts. I prefer the more formal button up uniform collar shirt myself, I think its more professional. Unfortunately you need to enforce uniform standards with it, otherwise people can look very unprofessional in it. I also wear an under Armour compression shirt underneath sometimes which matches the color of my uniform or is white/black

Take the word 'uniform' out of the button up collar shirt phrase and I'll agree. It's when we start adding flags and badges and all the other rent-a-cop-looking flair that I think we're getting off track from looking the part of medical professionals.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Take the word 'uniform' out of the button up collar shirt phrase and I'll agree. It's when we start adding flags and badges and all the other rent-a-cop-looking flair that I think we're getting off track from looking the part of medical professionals.

I am not for shiny badges, t-shirts, bells and whistles ect... But the reality is we are working outdoors in uncontrolled environments many times a day. EMS is and should be treated as a healthcare profession, but it also crosses roads with public safety. I think the concept of a uniform is still important from the public safety aspect of things and uniform collar shirts are not exclusive to police and security guards ect. I think having a shirt like this with a simple patch or word identifying who you are is necessary for the pre-hospital environment.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
It never ceases to amaze me that we actually spend money on Nomex Gibson and Barnes flight suits, when we get in a helo maybe once a year. They do look good though.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My current service wears t-shirts on ground and the flight teams wear flight suits

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Polos. Honestly, unless you're paramilitary, class A's don't really belong. You look like the police and not medical professionals. T-shirts are tacky IMHO. I dondon't care how hot it is. And I believe dressing business casual does look professional and is still practical. Because it makes you look like you're clean and ready to work. Business casual all the way for me.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
I vastly prefer t-shirts and BDUs/dark dress slacks/whatever you want to call them. I've also used polos.

Honestly, I don't think wearing a nice button down with all the bells and whistles on it is all that its cracked up to be. Nurses and doctors wear glorified pajamas because healthcare is very messy work, and in EMS you're also outside a lot, which can lead to sweating, getting dirt on your uniform, etc. A tshirt/uniform pants combo shows professional uniformity between crews and practically, you can change out a duty tshirt easily. Looking the same, I would argue, is better than looking fancy.

People talk about lacking professionalism in EMS, but a nice shirt is not going to fix that. I would be beyond shocked if the public even processed the difference between a crew with white button downs, polos, or blue tshirts. It's more important that the crew looks uniform, and acts professionally.

That being said, if you're a volunteer (or god forbid a paid guy) who shows up in a wife beater and bunker pants, I hate you.