POV's lights in Texas blue? green? clear? amber? red? please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Fang

Forum Probie
Hi all im i live in NJ and in my county you need to have a blue light permit, and you can have solid Blue or Blue/Clear, My wife and i are planing to Move to Texas and I read the law on Emergency Vehicles this is the site http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/ and also found a couple of Police Officers forums dicussing this matter but the funny thing is that they not even clear whats lights are legal for a volunteer FF nor EMT.
I read some articles of the law and cant even be sure that I understood correctly.

so any one out there from Texas or been in the state knows?
just in case we are thinking Austin Texas.

thanks to all!!!

RyanMidd

Forum Lieutenant
Don't know about your state. LEOs in Alberta use red/white/blue, or red/blue.

EMS uses red/white/amber, along with Fire and Rescue.

Search and Rescue, they gave us the option of all red, all amber, or all green.

Since nobody here would even know what green means, we chose amber for when we use SAR vehicles en-route to a high-profile search.

OP
OP
W

White Fang

Forum Probie
Thanks, but i know the lights I can use in my state i am wondering for the state of Texas regarding what lights you can put on the vehicle, since i have blue and blue/clear i am wondering if I can use them in Texas as well or i need to change them

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
Thanks, but i know the lights I can use in my state i am wondering for the state of Texas regarding what lights you can put on the vehicle, since i have blue and blue/clear i am wondering if I can use them in Texas as well or i need to change them

all the guys that i volunteer with that have lights they are red/white or just red. never seen any red and blues

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
POV's should not be considered emergnecy vehicles. not even a little bit. unless you really really live in the middle of no where

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Stick with none. It is possible that even if the state of Texas does allow them, the department you end up working/volunteering for won't allow them. Save your money and time until you are actually in Texas and know if they will even be allowed.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Stick with none. It is possible that even if the state of Texas does allow them, the department you end up working/volunteering for won't allow them. Save your money and time until you are actually in Texas and know if they will even be allowed.

Too Logical. Not even living in Texas. Not working for any agency in Texas. Not familiar with Texas' system. Doesn't know if the agencies in the area allow them. He needs to know now so that the second he enters Texas he can flip on the scanner and respond! :rolleyes:

Seriously, wouldn't it be better to move to Texas, get settled, look into an organization, join them, ask if it is even allowed by them, and then ask this question? Unless your desision to move to Texas is based on the color of lights you get to put on a POV, which as Life stated, should only be allowed in RARE cases, IMHO. EMS (and all branches of Emergency Services) should be about providing quality care and service to the public, not about L&S. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Ok... I think they use red. Not sure though.

I wouldn't sweat it until you move and join somewhere else.n

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
+1. If you're going to move to Texas, just move. Once you get there, look into and join a local group... and they will provide specific guidance for their SOP and TX law as to how a POV should be equipped for responses. Each state has their own guidelines and laws about this. I would suggest that you disable your warning lights and such during the actual move as an inadvertent activation of those lights might be illegal in whatever state you happen to be traveling through.

Good luck, hope the move goes well!

OP
OP
W

White Fang

Forum Probie
Thanks for all the replies!!!! Well to respond to Lifeguard I do live in a rural area in the middle of no where, in the State on NJ you are allowed like I state it previously....

I think guys you are correct (Mountain Res-Q and jon) I should wait and until I get settled there, I thought some could give me an idea, since I got to a forum where police officers from Texas where no sure what are the proper lights to use, and also some agencies used different lights.

Amberdt03: Thanks for the input!!!B)

Well I guess Ill have sell them before we move!!!

Again thanks!!! but if you here or see other colors let me know!:p

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Of course you need to finish your Basic class first...before you consider lights and rushing to help people.

Good luck with your Basic exam on Dec 22.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
for what reason do you feel the need to jeapordize other's safety to respond to incidents that are most likely not dire emergencies, and if they are may be little you can do as an EMT in your POV?

Alson I don't think they allow just anyone with an EMT cert to put lights in their vehilcles?

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
You and your wife should be worrying about such a big move before you worry about refitting your vehicle with lights. Low priority.

RyanMidd

Forum Lieutenant
Wait, is this thread about what kind of lights to put on his personal vehicle?

Is that allowed? And if so, why? If you're not in the company ambo, why would you need/want lights?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Wait, is this thread about what kind of lights to put on his personal vehicle?

Is that allowed? And if so, why? If you're not in the company ambo, why would you need/want lights?

I think we can safely call off the attack dogs on this one. At least five people have already said that they think lights on your POV are silly. And it's been said in 30 other threads in the few months I've been here, so... Deceased equine. Severely pummeled.

As for the "why", I can only give an answer as relates to New Jersey. Technically, the lights are because when volunteer agencies are toned out, some squads and all fire departments go to the squad or a meeting place, pick up an ambulance or fire engine, then go to the call. So, the lights (in NJ they're blue) are to make it somewhat quicker to get to the station to get to the call. They are not really (at least not around here) for responding to calls in your POV. They're also not strictly emergency lights, although vehicles (under recent changes to state law here) are supposed to yield the right of way to you.

A secondary purpose is if you happen to be at a call in your POV, it makes your car more visible at the side of the road or whatever. Personally, I think that responding to calls in your POV is a terrible idea, and I've never done it (and I'm not quite finished with EMT school anyway, though I am a FR). However, I have seen once or twice that the tones dropped while someone was literally driving past the address in their POV, and in that case, it might make sense to stop.

When on duty, my squad stays at the building now, so I don't have a blue light in my car. Would I consider getting one? Maybe, but we don't get enough "all calls" (calls for any available members because the duty crews are both already out) to justify it, and I live a solid 10 minutes from the squad building. But basically, in long-winded answer to your question, they're for responding to the station to get a crew on the ambulance to answer an emergency call.

OP
OP
W

White Fang

Forum Probie
I think we can safely call off the attack dogs on this one. At least five people have already said that they think lights on your POV are silly. And it's been said in 30 other threads in the few months I've been here, so... Deceased equine. Severely pummeled.

As for the "why", I can only give an answer as relates to New Jersey. Technically, the lights are because when volunteer agencies are toned out, some squads and all fire departments go to the squad or a meeting place, pick up an ambulance or fire engine, then go to the call. So, the lights (in NJ they're blue) are to make it somewhat quicker to get to the station to get to the call. They are not really (at least not around here) for responding to calls in your POV. They're also not strictly emergency lights, although vehicles (under recent changes to state law here) are supposed to yield the right of way to you.

A secondary purpose is if you happen to be at a call in your POV, it makes your car more visible at the side of the road or whatever. Personally, I think that responding to calls in your POV is a terrible idea, and I've never done it (and I'm not quite finished with EMT school anyway, though I am a FR). However, I have seen once or twice that the tones dropped while someone was literally driving past the address in their POV, and in that case, it might make sense to stop.

When on duty, my squad stays at the building now, so I don't have a blue light in my car. Would I consider getting one? Maybe, but we don't get enough "all calls" (calls for any available members because the duty crews are both already out) to justify it, and I live a solid 10 minutes from the squad building. But basically, in long-winded answer to your question, they're for responding to the station to get a crew on the ambulance to answer an emergency call.

HAHAHAHA!!!!! I was actually...first is first thank you!!! I asked if any one knows about lights in TX on your POV and I get nonsense so thank you EMSLAW... now I live in a rural area our building its just a garage and supplies so we use our cars to go to the garage or assist when they need back up (like 300lbs patient its better to lift with 4 then 2 or 3) in my case not all our members can drive the rigg so its better that you get there first since you have your 1st responder bag with you at all times....

any ways i have my blue lights permit, i can put them after I finish my class and continue my education so i can be better than before!

for those specially who commented in this post and answered pure stupidities I started a new thread you should read it! what are your thoughts? here is mine

Fox800

Forum Captain
In texas, an authorized emergency vehicle can display any combinations of red, white, or blue lights and a siren when responding to an emergency. However, to make your POV "authorized", you must be affiliated with a volunteer fire or EMS agency that allows this. Many do not. In Travis County (where Austin is located), I can only think of one agency that allows this (Manchaca Fire). You will also need to inform your insurance vendor and be sure that they will cover you while operating your POV as an emergency vehicle. If you move down here with functional emergency lights and haven't received authorization from a volunteer agency, you can be issued a citation by law enforcement. This refers to sirens, wig-wag lights, lightbars, and any interior lights (red, white, or blue).

Status
Not open for further replies.