Post nominal insanity

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
One of the things I have noticed among my paramedic friends is their use of post nominals. What I mean, of course, is appending things like, "NREMT-P, CCEMT-P, FF-2, AAS" after their names. I couldn't help but to notice an article in this month's JEMS where one of the authors has more letters after his name than in his actual name. He also includes some post nominals that I've never seen before. A few examples:

1) DHSC, CFO, EMT-P

2) BS, NREMT-P, CCEMT-P

From the first one, I have no idea what DHSC or CFO is. About the second, it's a bit odd to list any academic degree that is undergraduate. As well, I recall Dr Bledsoe being very critical of anyone who claims to be a "critical care paramedic" and referring to a court case where the paramedic who claimed this credential was made to look very foolish.

Another vanity favorite in EMS is the self-assigned title of CCEMT-P, which is the acronym for Critical Care EMT-Paramedic. Most people self-assign this title after completing a CCEMT-P course or a similar course. And while some states have started to recognize this level (i.e. Tennessee, Louisiana, West Virginia), most have not. This became a point of contention in a legal case not too long ago where I was an expert witness. The paramedics called themselves CCEMT-Ps, yet there was no evidence they passed any sort of certification examination. The plaintiff’s attorneys had a field day with that and the paramedics looked foolish. Source: http://www.ems1.com/columnists/bryan-bledsoe/articles/421845-The-Vanity-of-EMS

I think the post nominals are becoming ridiculous. The use of EMT-B, RN, MD/DO, etc is fine, but these ultra-specific and unknown certifications work against a person.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
Well quick google gives a few likely candidates for DHSc Doctorate of blah blah but i like Discount Home Shopping club (member). Cfo... Guessing Chief Financial Officer

Fish

Forum Deputy Chief
Here goes mine

EMT-P, DSHS Inst, NAEMSE Inst. 1, ACLS Inst, PALS Inst, Tac. EMT-P

I will update this once I complete my AAS and BS

Kidding, I would made fun of daily

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Well quick google gives a few likely candidates for DHSc Doctorate of blah blah but i like Discount Home Shopping club (member). Cfo... Guessing Chief Financial Officer

I've known many CFOs over the years, but not one has ever used their position as a post nominal. I think it means something else, but not sure.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I agree, it's stupid

usalsfyre EMT-P, FP-C, CCEMT-P, DSHS-I, ACLS, BLS, PEPP, PHTLS, TCFP FF, GAABA

:D:D

The majority of my stuff gets EMT-P or nothing at all.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Was option 1 employed by a fire department? CFO could mean "certified fire officer"

-JPINFV, DO(c), MS, EMT-B, ACLS, BCLS

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
oops, read what you wrote wrong. What I ment is I have seen people do it. I have never been a CFO, but if I was I would make it rain!

Turn up the heat for deep heating!

EMSDude54343

Forum Lieutenant
CFO means Chief Fire Officer ... Here is an article about somone recieving the designation...

http://www.fdnntv.com/Hillsborough-County-Fire-Chief-CFO-Designation

The Chief Fire Officer Designation Program is a voluntary program that recognizes fire officers who have demonstrated excellence and outstanding service throughout their career. According to the program, applicants must demonstrate excellence in components that include experience, education, professional development, professional contributions, affiliations, community involvement and technical competencies. The designation is valid for three years. To maintain it, they have to show they have continued to develop in the areas of professional development, professional contributions and recognitions, maintained active memberships in professional organizations and continued their community involvement.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Yet another obscure certification. See how easily it is confused?

JPINFV

Gadfly
I don't think that CFO, and it's brother, the Executive Fire Officer (EFO) is obscure in the circles that they are most likely to be found. Sorta of like physicians and the various specialty colleges.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think that CFO, and it's brother, the Executive Fire Officer (EFO) is obscure in the circles that they are most likely to be found. Sorta of like physicians and the various specialty colleges.

Even physicians ought not to use the post nominals of the various colleges. A simple "MD" or "DO" would suffice.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Even physicians ought not to use the post nominals of the various colleges. A simple "MD" or "DO" would suffice.
It depends on the situation as it's an indication of the physician's specialty. If a physician is a Fellow of the American College of Emergency Medicine (post nominal- FACEP), then I know that the person holds a board certification in EM in some manner (allopathic EM, osteopathic EM, or peds specialized in peds EM). In a journal situation (especially correspondence, but also original research) or a conference situation it's important. Now for everyday life, yea it's excessive.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
It depends on the situation as it's an indication of the physician's specialty. If a physician is a Fellow of the American College of Emergency Medicine (post nominal- FACEP), then I know that the person holds a board certification in EM in some manner (allopathic EM, osteopathic EM, or peds specialized in peds EM). Now for everyday life, yea it's excessive.

I realize what they mean and that they have worked very, very hard to achieve that board certification, but it's still excessive.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Then in EMS systems that still use EMT-B/P, there's no use for EMT-Ps to differentiate themselves from EMT-Bs as they're both EMTs. Right? If the capabilities, training, education, and expertise of an EMT-Basic and an EMT-Paramedic are so drastically different, how can you say the same isn't true between a neurosurgeon and a family practice physician?

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Then in EMS systems that still use EMT-B/P, there's no use for EMT-Ps to differentiate themselves from EMT-Bs as they're both EMTs. Right? If the capabilities, training, education, and expertise of an EMT-Basic and an EMT-Paramedic are so drastically different, how can you say the same isn't true between a neurosurgeon and a family practice physician?

It's perfectly fine to differentiate between two different provider levels, B/P in this case. A neurosurgeon and a family medicine physician have the same provider level status, despite their post-graduate training. Their post nominals ought to reflect that and not an ultra-specific specialty. I can see that it would be useful during conferences and such but not in regular course.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain

Because from the standpoint of being licensed (or certified) a neurosurgeon and a family practice physician are still licensed as physicians. They are still both allowed to practice medicine under the law (whatever that practice may entail). Basic to paramedic are certified to legally provide different levels of care, and the training and education of the 2 are wildly different. The credentialing for these 2 are drastically different.

I think it comes down to setting. For journals, peer settings, professional publications etc, list as many as you want. When I sign something, however, it's with EMT-P following my name.

I actually had a chief paramedic who's ID badge read "John Doe, NYS EMT-P, NREMT-P, MICP, AHLS, ACLS, PALS, BTLS, FTO, ALS Preceptor". I think I missed a few too.....

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I'm DrParasite, BS, EMT, CPR-I, EMD-I, BTC-I, PHTLS, ICS 400, FFII, MVX, Rescue Tech, and when I publish a journal, I plan to list them and more at the bottom of it.

I might even add in AMLS and CEVO to my list, depends if I want to appear more educated or not.