Police Officers Son Shot and Killed at Home

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief

Summit

Critical Crazy
Teach you kids how to be safe around guns.
Keep your guns well locked up.

berkeman

Forum Lieutenant
Teach you kids how to be safe around guns.
Keep your guns well locked up.

Definitely. I just went shooting with my 15y/o son last weekend. We always review the basic gun safety rules:

1) Treat every gun like it is loaded.

2) Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.

And both my kids know that there is no handling a gun without an adult supervising. They know that if a gun comes out while they are at another kid's house and there's no adult, they are to leave or call 911.

And yes, our guns are cleaned and locked back in the gun safe now.

What a tragedy. And kids of a cop should have been taught better, you would think.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
And kids of a cop should have been taught better, you would think.

Why is that? Are cops different from any other parent that have kids and guns in the home? ALL parents should teach their children about the risk of handling guns. ALL parents should make sure guns are locked up and not accessible to children. It is ALL parents responsibility to do the above. Having a parent as a cop doesn't mean you are gonna be the perfect child and do nothing wrong. A tragedy happened, point the finger at the parent, not the cop!

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Why is that? Are cops different from any other parent that have kids and guns in the home? ALL parents should teach their children about the risk of handling guns. ALL parents should make sure guns are locked up and not accessible to children. It is ALL parents responsibility to do the above. Having a parent as a cop doesn't mean you are gonna be the perfect child and do nothing wrong. A tragedy happened, point the finger at the parent, not the cop!

Police, as with us in the military, preach and get taught weapons safety to a higher degree than the average guy who goes to Bass Pro Shop and buys a shotgun. That's not to say that they're not safe with weapons, but police have to be extra proficient in their craft. Along those lines, many police officers have weapons in the household. It would only make sense to teach their family members the ins and outs of weapons safety to the same degree, if not higher, than they are taught. It's easy to get on the defensive side of this argument. I'd be willing to bet this kid was safe with this weapon and just had an unfortunate bout of luck.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
A sad and tragic event. One should never assume people, including children, know about firearm safety. I believe all people, especially kids, should be taught firearm safety. You never know when you may come in contact with a gun.

Some basic rules.

Treat all firearms as if they are loaded BY keeping the muzzel pointed in a safe direction OR not touching the firearm at all.

NEVER put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to actually fire it.

There are lots of other rules and regulations but if these are followed there will not be an "accident" like this.

You can't legislate common sense.

A sad time for the family. My heart goes out to them.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This is a sad and tragic story.

Several years ago they did a study and found that even children taught how to handle guns and taught OVER and OVER and OVER again still messed around with guns as much as other children. They even had the son of the NRA President in a room with hidden cameras, and we walked right over to a gun in a toy box and started pulling the trigger.

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
This is a sad and tragic story.

Several years ago they did a study and found that even children taught how to handle guns and taught OVER and OVER and OVER again still messed around with guns as much as other children. They even had the son of the NRA President in a room with hidden cameras, and we walked right over to a gun in a toy box and started pulling the trigger.

With what you just pointed out I wonder if the kids that are taught how to handle weapons safely assume they know what they are doing so think "hey I know how to handle this so I am going to play with it"

EMTCop86

Forum Captain
Police, as with us in the military, preach and get taught weapons safety to a higher degree than the average guy who goes to Bass Pro Shop and buys a shotgun. That's not to say that they're not safe with weapons, but police have to be extra proficient in their craft. Along those lines, many police officers have weapons in the household. It would only make sense to teach their family members the ins and outs of weapons safety to the same degree, if not higher, than they are taught. It's easy to get on the defensive side of this argument. I'd be willing to bet this kid was safe with this weapon and just had an unfortunate bout of luck.

I absolutely agree but just because cops and military personnel know how to handle a gun more effectively doesn't mean that they teach their family any different then the average joe would. People would assume they should because they are held at such a higher standard but it is not for us to say "hey your a cop you should have known better." It should be said "hey your a gun owner and a parent, you should have known better!"