It doesn't do any good. By the time you could apply those, the poison is already circulating through their system. A tourniquet could cause an unnecessary amputation of the limb.I've always been told just to have the pt calm down, and do nothing else, but the logical thing to me would be to apply a tourniquet and ice...what do u guys think?
That site has far more info than I could give, but I too had been told not to tourniquet a bite.How NOT to Treat a Snakebite
Though US medical professionals may not agree on every aspect of what to do for snakebite first aid, they are nearly unanimous in their views of what not to do. Among their recommendations:
* No ice or any other type of cooling on the bite. Research has shown this to be potentially harmful.
* No tourniquets. This cuts blood flow completely and may result in loss of the affected limb.
* No electric shock. This method is under study and has yet to be proven effective. It could harm the victim.
* No incisions in the wound. Such measures have not been proven useful and may cause further injury.
I can see how you would draw that logic if you had a tourniquet in your hand and ready to go when the Pt was bitten. However, if I recall correctly (and if someone knows better, please correct me) the heart circulates the body's entire volume of blood in a rather short time. That means that in most cases, the venom will be pumped out of the bite site and through the body before EMS even arrives on scene.see, what im thinking is that if the poison spreads to the rest of the body, the pt's most likely gonna get very sick and die...
but if you apply the tourniquet, then they might just end up losing their arm..
So how does he end up in Williamsburg on your ambulance? :unsure:
And how many people actually get bitten per capita?
Either the DOH site is listing state-only mortality stats or either the fda or DOH is wrong.