Please extend NREMT recertification until 3/31/2021 0r beyond.

firefarmer

Forum Ride Along
Our volunteer service is taking a real hit amid this crisis. We have had several people quit. Recruits that were considering taking classes have changed their minds and the classes have been cancelled. Thank goodness we had 5 stellar EMTs who were retiring after the March 31deadline stay on and double their shifts!!!!!. They had not taken any CEUs. What agency or politicians can we contact to extend the deadline until next year. The five EMTs have an average of over 25 years of service.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Our volunteer service is taking a real hit amid this crisis. We have had several people quit. Recruits that were considering taking classes have changed their minds and the classes have been cancelled. Thank goodness we had 5 stellar EMTs who were retiring after the March 31deadline stay on and double their shifts!!!!!. They had not taken any CEUs. What agency or politicians can we contact to extend the deadline until next year. The five EMTs have an average of over 25 years of service.
You can contact NREMT, id urge you to avoid involving Politicians unless you want them to screw it up.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I'd start by contacting your state EMS office, since they are the ones that actually certify EMT's.

OceanBossMan263

Forum Crew Member
Even NY which sometimes seems backwards at everything has extended all EMS certifications by 1 year. They have also retroactively extended anyone who expired back to 9/2019 with a new one-year card. Additionally, they've set up a form for those who expired as far back as 1/2015 to be reinstated until the end of 2020 (if expired 1/2019 or more recent they'll be reinstated to last level of certification, 1/2015 - 12/2018 will be at basic level)

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The NREMT relaxed the recert options to allow it all to be done by distributive education. I don't see any issue with what they've done.

Do your con ed and recert.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
I'd start by contacting your state EMS office, since they are the ones that actually certify EMT's.

The National Registry is the certifying body. The State is the licensing/authorizing body; unless you happen to live in one of the few states where the EMS laws were written by people who cant read, like MA, which issues a license they call a certification because they didn’t want truck donkeys getting a big head back in the day. Today, you file your certification paperwork, initial or renewal, on the elicensing site. You verify an EMT certification on the website www.checkalicense.blah blah blah; but it’s officially still a certification. SMH :/

A little light reading: https://www.nremt.org/rwd/public/document/certification_licensure