Please explane

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
Please explain how the paramedic service works in USA.

I live in Canada and don't know much about how the sector works.Is it like Canada where a paramedic studies for a two years and get his PCP (Primary care Paramedic) BLS .Then goes for another year to get his Advance care ALS.

Sorry for my spelling error in the title I have not idea how to edit it :(

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Please explain how the paramedic service works in USA.

I live in Canada and don't know much about how the sector works.Is it like Canada where a paramedic studies for a two years and get his PCP (Primary care Paramedic) BLS .Then goes for another year to get his Advance care ALS.

Sorry for my spelling error in the title I have not idea how to edit it :(

Easy answer...it depends on where you are

every state determines how they train their providers, and in some states, like North Carolina, each county has a different training protocol.

In Theory

There is a standard BLS training that is about 120 hrs, but it could be as high as 300 hrs, and then each state can expand upon that.

There is also a standard ALS training, which can range in length. No college required, some get Associates (2yr) Degree through the course, and again, each state can determine what their ALS can do

In New Jersey, BLS is operated by either A.) Municipalities, B.) Fire Departments, C.) Volunteer agencies, or D.)Private paid companies. Or some combination of these.

ALS is based out of the hospitals, so paramedics actually work for a Hospital and are overseen by the Director of Emergency Medicine (Usually)

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
It varies. The PCP is most of Canada is a year and another year or 2 for ACP. In the USA you can get the equivalent of ACP in a little over a year. The PCP is about an intermediate EMT in the us. The emt basic is 120-200 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:

hippocratical

Forum Lieutenant
The feeling I get from reading these forums is that when someone says "EMT" they mean an EMT-B which is broadly similar to an EMR in Canada (broadly).

Many texts I read use Paramedic to mean EMT-I (PCP) which weirds me out as I always think of Paramedic meaning the ACP (guy who has fun Narcotics)

Even within Canada I find random use of the terms depending on which province people come from. At the camp I last worked at we had 8 "medics" from across the country with titles ranging from OFAIII to EMR to EMT to Paramedic to RN, and everyone had slightly different usage of it. Being in Alberta complicates things too.