Places to Work as Ambulance Attendent (EMR Level)

cfuentes

Forum Crew Member
Hey Guys,

Are there any places in NY that take First Responders as Ambulance Attendents.

Thanks,

Christopher R. Fuentes-Padilla

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I found in NY state law that they require any transport to the hospital to be accompanied by at least one EMT or higher. Looks like you could accompany the EMT and patient, but you couldn't be the primary attendant. I don't think many states allow an EMR to attend patients alone, so I'd really recommend pushing on to EMT at a minimum.

CFal

Forum Captain
I wager a guess that it's mostly vollie services using EMRs

OP
OP
C

cfuentes

Forum Crew Member
Re: Replies

Yes, I was asking because my friend was choosen for Hunter EMS as a "Secondary Attendent" on the bus. So, yes I believe only vollies are doing such a thing because I contacted HR @ Hunter EMS and they have only sent a automatic reply so?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I don't think there is anywhere in the county that would allow only a first responder to be in back with a patient.

Maybe Texas, don't they have something called Emergency Care Attendant?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
That was actually set up as the original distinction between EMR and EMT. EMR was for first response and first couple minute "life saving" interventions while EMT was meant to be the lowest level of training to staff an ambulance and transport.

OP
OP
C

cfuentes

Forum Crew Member
Re:Replies

Hi,

According to my supervisors NYS requirements and regulations do not Prohibit a Certifed First Responder from serving as a secondary or on-call ambulance attendent in Volley services. However, in municipal services they must be a EMT-Basic or at least eligible for the EMT-B Original course.
A.K.A. Must be 18 Years of Age or older.

Again However, It does not state whether this regulations as anything to do with Paid but, private services or Hospital Run services.

Sincerely,

C. Fuentes-Padilla
District Lieutenant
District 1A
New York Army Cadet
Security Division
Special Reactions Squad #1709

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Hi,

According to my supervisors NYS requirements and regulations do not Prohibit a Certifed First Responder from serving as a secondary or on-call ambulance attendent in Volley services. However, in municipal services they must be a EMT-Basic or at least eligible for the EMT-B Original course.

Again However, It does not state whether this regulations as anything to do with Paid but, private services or Hospital Run services.

Sincerely,

C. Fuentes-Padilla
District Lieutenant
District 1A
New York Army Cadet
Security Division

See Chapter VI of Title 10 in the New York State ambulance code. It's under section 800.21, letter H in particular. It explicitly states that patients being transported must be accompanied by one EMT or higher. I'm no lawyer, but it's pretty clear cut in the law. As I mentioned, secondary attendant as an EMR sounds fine, but if your supervisors allow a sole attend by an EMR they're just asking for trouble.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Hi,

Sincerely,

C. Fuentes-Padilla
District Lieutenant
District 1A
New York Army Cadet
Security Division

Even if you were possibly allowed to do attend calls as the sole provider, do you think it is in your patient's best interest to have only an EMR attendant?

Also, just curious but what is up with the signature?

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Also, just curious but what is up with the signature?

Yeah...I was thinking about mentioning that. My advice would be to settle down a few notches on the alphabet soup nonsense. They don't mean anything to us.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Yeah...I was thinking about mentioning that. My advice would be to settle down a few notches on the alphabet soup nonsense. They don't mean anything to us.

I think the first thing I learned about the internet was to not post my first and last name all over the place along with other identifying markers.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I think the first thing I learned about the internet was to not post my first and last name all over the place along with other identifying markers.

That was the second thing I learned. My first lesson was that everyone else knows more than I do about everything and will defend that to the death.

OP
OP
C

cfuentes

Forum Crew Member
Re: Signature

Hi,

I was at work and the computers there have a program that inserts a auotmatic signature. So, Sorry I had no intention of putting that in there.

Also, When I'm on-duty the crew chief is always the First Attendent and is a EMT-Critical Care or Higher. So, Esstentially, I'm not the first Attending the Patient.

Sincerely,

C. Fuentes-Padilla

emtblaze

Forum Ride Along
The only places that take EMR's are volunteer places and even they don't like having too many EMR's. My volunteer agency requires EMR's to start an EMT class within 9 months of joining or they get kicked off.